Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Poor black school children no longer exclusive guinea pigs of the EAA?

Well it passed the house at least.

Snyder's little failure of a district limps on. And like most mistakes the people responsible dig their heels in and push harder.

The bill cleared the house with the help of Detroit Democrat and Independent, Santana and Olumba respectively.

The progressive commentators have been savaging both of them for it, but I agree with the reasoning 100 percent.

Now the EAA is absolutely a horror show, but Harvey Santana is right. Why should little Ellen and Matthew out in the burbs and the boonies be protected from this mess while bullshit is foisted on Detroit students without even a debate?

News media talk of both sides of their mouths about it. Arguing at the same time it isn't good enough for expansion for non-Detroit children while half a paragraph later arguing to give it a chance for DPS pupils.

There is nothing funnier than watching folks do mental gymnastics to justify conflicting, and hypocritical world views.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Well it passed the house at least.

Snyder's little failure of a district limps on. And like most mistakes the people responsible dig their heels in and push harder.

The bill cleared the house with the help of Detroit Democrat and Independent, Santana and Olumba respectively.

The progressive commentators have been savaging both of them for it, but I agree with the reasoning 100 percent.

Now the EAA is absolutely a horror show, but Harvey Santana is right. Why should little Ellen and Matthew out in the burbs and the boonies be protected from this mess while bullshit is foisted on Detroit students without even a debate?

News media talk of both sides of their mouths about it. Arguing at the same time it isn't good enough for expansion for non-Detroit children while half a paragraph later arguing to give it a chance for DPS pupils.

There is nothing funnier than watching folks do mental gymnastics to justify conflicting, and hypocritical world views.
    Do you really think suburban and outstate legislators really give two shits about the well being of Detroit kids? They see them as a mechanism to experiment with and nothing more.

Funny that the state has not intervened in the many rural districts that are struggling financially or whose grades are in the lower precentage.

Hell, when the state first took over DPS the finances and test scores were higher than many rural communities but the take over was under the guise of 'poor scores'

The regular education system that has been in place for the last 120 years hasn't worked very well for too many poor, black children. What methods or programs should we try to improve it? A good education is the only way to break the endless cycle of poverty. I do not know the background or methodology of EAA and whether it would possibly help the cause. We have to try something!

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Do you really think suburban and outstate legislators really give two shits about the well being of Detroit kids? They see them as a mechanism to experiment with and nothing more.

Funny that the state has not intervened in the many rural districts that are struggling financially or whose grades are in the lower precentage.

Hell, when the state first took over DPS the finances and test scores were higher than many rural communities but the take over was under the guise of 'poor scores'
    Added to that, every school shuttered is a neighborhood destroyed.

There was a piece about the entire EFM saga of DPS.

5000 employees laid off.
    100 schools closed.
    The operating budget and deficit GREW.

All under the watch of the 3 EM's.

Appearantly [[and I only heard this over the air, I haven't verified it myself) that DPS is blaming the growing deficit on falling revenues on Duggan cutting property tax assessments...that haven't gone into effect yet.

I saw what time it was when that crook Bobb was talking about closing schools out of one side of his mouth while telling the legislature about 60 fucking students per classroom out of the other side.

The things the state does to Detroit. There would be molotov cocktails flying and hell to pay if HALF of this stuff was tried anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    ...The things the state does to Detroit. There would be molotov cocktails flying and hell to pay if HALF of this stuff was tried anywhere else.
    I hear your anger -- and respect that maybe things aren't what they should be.

However can't you say that same thing about 'hell to pay' towards the current DPS? Do you really think the only problem was money?

I think Detroit citizens should be absolutely demanding change. And all sacred cows should be eligible for slaughter. Seniority, unions, EAA, tax increases, charters.

Disdain for EAA OK, but if its only to return to the failed system of the past, not so OK. Schools around the country aren't helping poor children. Even where money isn't an issue.