Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    What's that gated community that has the marina on the lake, the hi-rise that is stepped shaped with the balconies facing the lake and a lot of apartments and condos running to the marina on the lakeside of jefferson between 9 and 10 mile?
    I think it is shore club apartments, you are talking about

Quote Originally Posted by aoife View Post
    If you are looking to rent a flat, I would say go with Grosse Pointe Park [[which has amazing duplexes) or Grosse Pointe City, which has a number of houses near their shopping area that are duplexes. Typically they are along St. Clair, Notre Dame, and Neff Streets. I have lived in flats in both areas. If you land in the City you can ride your bike to St. John in about 10 minutes. The "rental districts" in the Pointes are great because you can walk to most everything you need [[groceries, post office, bars, etc.).

Welcome to the area! Don't be scared off by any "shady" talk.

Thank you so much for valuable suggestion, I will enquire about those streets.

Quote Originally Posted by kattmax View Post
    Thank you so much for valuable suggestion, I will enquire about those streets.
    A friend used this to find a place a few years ago:

www.grossepointeapartments.com

Also, there is this if you assignment is part of training...
    http://www.grossepointepark.org/inde...ing-foundation
    Grosse Pointe Housing Foundation
    Student Grant Program

Purpose

Create educational housing incentives for university students in the manner of housing grants while concurrently adding vitality to the Grosse Pointe Park rental market and surrounding commercial business districts.

Establishment of Educational Grant

Grant available to eligible students, medical students, and nursing students for housing expense of up to 50% of rent not to exceed $350 per month.

Student Eligibility Requirements
    All requirements must be met

1. Enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program at a four yearuniversity. [[*Undergraduate freshmen are not eligible).
    2. Maintain a 2.5 or higher G.P.A. while in program.
    3. Maintain at least 12 credits per semester [[i.e. full-time student)
    4. Provide copy of class schedule during application process.
    5. If medical resident or student nurse, proof of participation from the associated medical Facilities will be accepted in lieu of class schedule and related requirements.
    6. Selected housing unit/landlord must be approved for participation in the program by the Grosse Pointe Housing Foundation.
    7. Limit of one grant award per housing unit

A lot of this depends on how much you make.

The Pointes are easily the most desirable suburbs in Metro Detroit, in my opinion. The maddening sprawl and traffic of the Oakland suburbs don't exist, and you have lakefront access with your parks. It is a quiet and bucolic place, very family oriented, with good schools. It is also a very tightly knit community. The housing stock is mostly incredible Tudors and Georgian style homes from the 1920s - 1940s.

The downside it is that it is a bit sleepy, lacking in retail, and has a stuffy reputation that often rings true to this day.

I lived for many years in SCS. It is indeed very safe, working and middle class, overwhelmingly white community. I wouldn't ever move back, though. The housing stock is 99% post-war ranch crap, and there isn't a lot to do. The people are pretty nice but mostly keep to themselves. In short, nothing to write home to mother about. The schools aren't great.

I currently live in East English Village, in Detroit. It's pretty nice. There is a strong neighborhood association and lots of ways to meet neighbors and get involved in the neighborhood and Detroit. Property and auto crime is much more prevalent than in the suburbs, still, though. There have been issues of creeping blight and foreclosures but all in all it's still quite nice. Aside from the community feel, you can get incredible Grosse Pointe type houses for the fraction of the cost. It's a bit more eclectic than the Pointes, too, which I like. Of course Detroit schools are crap, but St. Clare of Montefalco is down the road.

The rest of the eastside of Detroit away from downtown is generally no bueno.

My vote would be for the any one of the Pointes [[except maybe the Woods, which are a bit too burby for my taste) or East English Village.
    Last edited by poobert; March-26-14 at 01:09 PM.

to the original poster, kudos and good fortune- also make sure you join this group-- DiverseGP- https://www.facebook.com/DiverseGP more info on a recent meeting here http://www.freep.com/article/2014032...elations-forum

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    A lot of this depends on how much you make.

The Pointes are easily the most desirable suburbs in Metro Detroit, in my opinion. The maddening sprawl and traffic of the Oakland suburbs don't exist, and you have lakefront access with your parks. It is a quiet and bucolic place, very family oriented, with good schools. It is also a very tightly knit community. The housing stock is mostly incredible Tudors and Georgian style homes from the 1920s - 1940s.

The downside it is that it is a bit sleepy, lacking in retail, and has a stuffy reputation that often rings true to this day.

I lived for many years in SCS. It is indeed very safe, working and middle class, overwhelmingly white community. I wouldn't ever move back, though. The housing stock is 99% post-war ranch crap, and there isn't a lot to do. The people are pretty nice but mostly keep to themselves. In short, nothing to write home to mother about. The schools aren't great.

I currently live in East English Village, in Detroit. It's pretty nice. There is a strong neighborhood association and lots of ways to meet neighbors and get involved in the neighborhood and Detroit. Property and auto crime is much more prevalent than in the suburbs, still, though. There have been issues of creeping blight and foreclosures but all in all it's still quite nice. Aside from the community feel, you can get incredible Grosse Pointe type houses for the fraction of the cost. It's a bit more eclectic than the Pointes, too, which I like. Of course Detroit schools are crap, but St. Clare of Montefalco is down the road.

The rest of the eastside of Detroit away from downtown is generally no bueno.

My vote would be for the any one of the Pointes [[except maybe the Woods, which are a bit too burby for my taste) or East English Village.
    Thank you for the history of GP, I am really excited to be part of Detroit and future GP.

From the sound of it, Kattman is at St. John to do his residency... which likely means long hours. In which case an appartment/condo is ideal for him... and not a large home requiring maintenance.

Kattman, which ever you choose, one of the 5 Grosse Pointes, or St. Clair Shores, there are residents only lakefront parks in each.

One drawback to choosing Grosse Pointe Park is that you are quite some distance from I-94... and the nearest entranceway is thru a less than stellar neighborhood at Chalmers/Outer Dr.

With Grosse Point City you can access I-94 at Cadieux Rd. which isn't too bad. Grosse Pointe Farms has Moross Rd. I-94 access, and Grosse Pointe Woods and Grosse Pointe Shores have both Moross and Vernier I-94 access.

St. Clair Shores has Vernier, 9 Mile, 10 Mile, 11 Mile and 12 Mile access to I-94. Also the 11 Mile access is also to I-696, which means visits to Oakland County are only 15 minutes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    From the sound of it, Kattman is at St. John to do his residency... which likely means long hours. In which case an appartment/condo is ideal for him... and not a large home requiring maintenance.

Kattman, which ever you choose, one of the 5 Grosse Pointes, or St. Clair Shores, there are residents only lakefront parks in each.

One drawback to choosing Grosse Pointe Park is that you are quite some distance from I-94... and the nearest entranceway is thru a less than stellar neighborhood at Chalmers/Outer Dr.

With Grosse Point City you can access I-94 at Cadieux Rd. which isn't too bad. Grosse Pointe Farms has Moross Rd. I-94 access, and Grosse Pointe Woods and Grosse Pointe Shores have both Moross and Vernier I-94 access.

St. Clair Shores has Vernier, 9 Mile, 10 Mile, 11 Mile and 12 Mile access to I-94. Also the 11 Mile access is also to I-696, which means visits to Oakland County are only 15 minutes away.
    You make it sound like that access to 94 is super widespread depending upon the area of the points. From the southermost part of the pointes to Moross is only around 3 miles along Mack.

That should play a very nominal part of the decision. That derive on mack from alter to morrow is probably about 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by kattmax View Post
    I think it is shore club apartments, you are talking about
    Yep I see that your aware. Nice place, Garden apts 1000 dollar range. The marina at the end of the road and a place to sit on the lake.

My late Aunt lived there in Building 200 ground floor for many a year. People party on them warm summer nights down by the water.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    You make it sound like that access to 94 is super widespread depending upon the area of the points. From the southermost part of the pointes to Moross is only around 3 miles along Mack.

That should play a very nominal part of the decision. That derive on mack from alter to morrow is probably about 5 minutes.
    He can see how to get to St. John [[via Mack most likely) on any map of the area... I'm just giving him a heads up on the situation of getting to the freeway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    He can see how to get to St. John [[via Mack most likely) on any map of the area... I'm just giving him a heads up on the situation of getting to the freeway.
    Fair, however if I didn't know the area and read your post I would have inferred that the difference in commute, access to the freeways, etc is extremely different from one point in the pointes compared to another.

And a tad further out lies Mt Clemens.............

Spilling a few beans here. Lived in Grosse Pointe Park for almost 14 years then onto Harvard in East English Village for about 7 years. Now in Islandview Village.

Grosse Pointe Park is an excellent area to be in. Two prime lake front parks including access to parks in Jefferson Chalmers Community. Access to everything on the east side and downtown. Can easily skip I-94 as Kercheval, Mack and Warren will get you any where you want to go near the St. John complex.

94, 75, 696 easily accessable.[[sp) Can be out of town in minutes.

No problem with Saint Clair Shores, either. I wish I had a grand a month for rent when I was your age.

Welcome to Detroit. Eat, Drink and be Merry.

Welcome to the North from Georgia. Buy a good shovel and enjoy the snow. Will not be as bad next year.

See I told you Detroiters were uber friendly, even our ex pats. Give age and a few details and people will probably try to get you married.

Stay on the board when you move and you will be amazed at the tours and home invites you receive. The real Detroit is nothing like our national image.

Once you harden off, try living in the city too. Lots of worts and pimples but such amazing people and experiences too. I am total city. Sumas

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Also, there is this if you assignment is part of training...
    http://www.grossepointepark.org/inde...ing-foundation
    ^THIS
    I'm currently doing my residency at St. John and the GP Housing Foundation is an amazing program. I live in GPP and pay <$300 for my two bedroom flat. Walking distance to everything I need and two semi-private lakefront parks.
    Feel free to PM me if you want more details. I grew up in GP and I know the area well. And welcome to St. John! Congratulations - it's a wonderful place to work and train.

Hey Alex, very nice info on GPP. Lived there loved it. The parks were fantastic. St Johns is a great hospital. The staff fantastic. Heck I was born there. My Dad always said the best kids came from St John.

I love my Detroit home but totally agree GPP is a great place to live.

Thank you so much Alex, and my future colleague, thats a great information... thank you every one once again... now i am feeling confident and proud to be part of D town and feeling excited to be here

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2