Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Moving to Grosse pointe area from south

hi every one, good morning... it's been an awesome job by all of you to discuss about detroit and the future of detroit. I am from atlanta, GA and i am moving to grosse pointe area, got my job in st john hospital in grosse pointe for next 3 years. Now, as i heard lots of shady neighborhoods in detroit to stay... I need your biggest help to know what are the safer neighborhoods around to commute to hospital. [[ an apartment is great )

PS: i am single, can commute 15-20 min, need a safer neighborhood to start my journey

Appreciate any inputs

Quote Originally Posted by kattmax View Post
    hi every one, good morning... it's been an awesome job by all of you to discuss about detroit and the future of detroit. I am from atlanta, GA and i am moving to grosse pointe area, got my job in st john hospital in grosse pointe for next 3 years. Now, as i heard lots of shady neighborhoods in detroit to stay... I need your biggest help to know what are the safer neighborhoods around to commute to hospital. [[ an apartment is great )

PS: i am single, can commute 15-20 min, need a safer neighborhood to start my journey

Appreciate any inputs
    Try Grosse Pointe Park, very nice community. I am a die hard Detroiter but a newbie could get eaten up. GPP is very close to the hospital and very safe. reasonable rents etc. Good luck with your new adventure. Sumas

thank you , i am also looking at St. claire shores, i am recently hearing an increase in crime around the SCS.. so will it be a good idea to be there, as GP has more of individual houses rather than apartments or condos..

Sounds like your relatives are scaring you. Don't worry Detroiters and near environs are really friendly folk. SCS is very safe too. My niece, a Detroit police officer lives there.

I am so sorry you feel afraid, you really don't need to be. The crap that happens is usually the criminal element. Not in that life style so do not worry.

I have lived in south saint Clair shores for the last 18 years without a problem and have no
    intention of moving

The Grosse Pointe area is certainly a good choice for proximity to the hospital although it may be unnerving to look across Mack Avenue, especially in Grosse Pointe Park, to see some burnt out or boarded up houses on the Detroit side. Generally it's best to be farther out, although issues of price and availability become more pronounced. St. Clair Shores is safe and close but may not offer your preferred choice in housing. Parts of Grosse Pointe are attractive, but overall the area isn't quite like Buckhead, with which you may be familiar. The best shopping and dining in the metropolitan Detroit area will be found in the North Woodward suburbs like Birmingham and Troy if that is major factor for you, but the freeways do offer good access. Trips into Detroit for cultural, sporting and other attractions are popular, but the people you meet here will give more detailed information on those.

There are a number of apartments or condos in the St.Clair Shores community from 12 Mile Road west to 9 Mile Road on Jefferson Avenue. If you take a straight shot down Jefferson to Moross [[7 Mile), right on Moross to Mack, St. John is right there. Good luck.

I lived in SCS for 7 years and found it to be a good place to live. Lived in Clawson for three years before that and also would recommend it. The closer proximity of SCS will suit you well, I think

It would be weird to move to the North Woodward area on purpose if you were working at St. Johns. It isn't a good commute. There are plenty of places in the Pointes [[or SCS, etc.) which are very convenient to St. Johns and which are safe. Why go further away? It makes more sense to do your driving to visit other parts of town when you don't need to be as concerned about being on time.

Grosse Pointe Wood,St Clair Shores,GP Park.. all within a 10- 15 min drive to St John...Lots of rentals...What is your price range...Many anemities in these areas Shopping,Dining,Bars,Entertainment...Whaler

Quote Originally Posted by A2Mike View Post
    The Grosse Pointe area is certainly a good choice for proximity to the hospital although it may be unnerving to look across Mack Avenue, especially in Grosse Pointe Park, to see some burnt out or boarded up houses on the Detroit side. Generally it's best to be farther out, although issues of price and availability become more pronounced. St. Clair Shores is safe and close but may not offer your preferred choice in housing. Parts of Grosse Pointe are attractive, but overall the area isn't quite like Buckhead, with which you may be familiar. The best shopping and dining in the metropolitan Detroit area will be found in the North Woodward suburbs like Birmingham and Troy if that is major factor for you, but the freeways do offer good access. Trips into Detroit for cultural, sporting and other attractions are popular, but the people you meet here will give more detailed information on those.
    You sound like the Macomb Township kid who parks my car.

Agreed about St. Clair Shores... if you're looking for an apartment, a nice choice is between Jefferson and the lake. Also if you're farther away from I-94... the drive along Jefferson/Lakeshore to Moross is one you won't mind taking every day!

One thing to remember about the Grosse Pointes and St. Clair Shores... is that the police all have 5 minutes or less response time, although you will very likely never need them.

As far as restaurants go... nice selection of places along the Nautical Mile in SCS, and also along Mack Ave. in the GPs.

Quote Originally Posted by GP For Life View Post
    You sound like the Macomb Township kid who parks my car.
    Sounds like an astute fellow. Probably knows that Detroit is the elephant in GP's living room.

Quote Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
    Grosse Pointe Wood,St Clair Shores,GP Park.. all within a 10- 15 min drive to St John...Lots of rentals...What is your price range...Many anemities in these areas Shopping,Dining,Bars,Entertainment...Whaler
    Thank you for your suggestion, I have my price range around 1000$/ month.. What about the river front apartments and the shore club apartments, I know both are too extremes, which one will be best suited for daily commute to St. John .

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Agreed about St. Clair Shores... if you're looking for an apartment, a nice choice is between Jefferson and the lake. Also if you're farther away from I-94... the drive along Jefferson/Lakeshore to Moross is one you won't mind taking every day!

One thing to remember about the Grosse Pointes and St. Clair Shores... is that the police all have 5 minutes or less response time, although you will very likely never need them.

As far as restaurants go... nice selection of places along the Nautical Mile in SCS, and also along Mack Ave. in the GPs.
    Thank you for the reply.. And that's awesome with less than 5 min police response time, I will be looking more in to apartments or condos.. Than individual houses.. Shore club on SCS and river front apt in downtown are the two that have vacancies.. Still trying to figure out .. Any input about traffic on I-94..

Not sure about those... but the 27 story 9 Mile & Jefferson tower may have some openings... stunning views of... the lake, Canada, the city, everything!!

During the warm months the SCS riverfront and restaurants are especially inviting...

Kattmax... I-94 is quite easy to nagivage... between 10 Mile and Moross...even during rush hour... the traffic moves nicely.

Also, I've lived in St. Clair Shores for 24 years... and never needed a policeman...

Also... a secret trick about the entrance to I-94 from Moross... during St. John shift change, traffic can back up onto Moross [[getting onto I-94) for 3 blocks! How to avoid that? Instead of making a right turn onto the service drive [[and onto the freeway)... do a proverbail cloverleaf [[3 left turns over I-94 and back onto eastbound Moross) and left onto the Service Drive Freeway. Rather than waiting for the light to change 5 times before you finally make it onto the freeway.. you an do it all in 1 turn of the light by taking the cloverleaf type route... but Shhhhhh!! Don't tell anyone!!
    Last edited by Gistok; March-26-14 at 10:06 AM.

Kattmax... I-94 is quite easy to nagivage... between 10 Mile and Moross...even during rush hour... the traffic moves nicely.

Also, I've lived in St. Clair Shores for 24 years... and never needed a policeman...

Also... a secret trick about the entrance to I-94 from Moross... during St. John shift change, traffic can back up onto Moross [[getting onto I-94) for 3 blocks! How to avoid that? Instead of making a right turn onto the service drive [[and onto the freeway)... do a proverbail cloverleaf [[3 left turns over I-94 and back onto eastbound Moross) and left onto the Service Drive Freeway. Rather than waiting for the light to change 5 times before you finally make it onto the freeway.. you an do it all in 1 turn of the light by taking the cloverleaf type route... but Shhhhhh!! Don't tell anyone!!
    haha...thank you and will definitely keep that secret in mind.. And that 9 mile tower is now calling as sky tower in shore club drive.. Yeah and they have few openings, hoping to get one.. Or do you know of any gated community in here.. Sorry for being obsessive but just to be in safe side

Sorry, I'm not privy to any gated communites there... although I imagine there are some. It's just that the area is so safe that gates are not needed.

SHHHHH!

I don't know about you, but it seems that doing that only makes sense if you're backed up to Tyrone. Any closer and its not worth the hassle unless you get lucky with the lights.

Kattmax-

You might already know this, but the Grosse Pointes are comprised of 5 separate communities. Each one is singular in its characteristics. Grosse Pointe Park features blocks and blocks of duplexes. These look like regular houses but were designed with separate entrances. Sometimes there are two front doors, but many have a single front door with a staircase leading to the unit upstairs.

almost all of these duplexes were intended to be duplexes and were not cut up or retrofitted into dual units.

You will not find many duplexes in The Farms, Shores, Village or City.

i took a look see on www.trulia.com and found a pretty good selection of properties. The one below looks very nice at $850 per:

http://www.trulia.com/rental/3104718...Farms-MI-48230

If you are looking to rent a flat, I would say go with Grosse Pointe Park [[which has amazing duplexes) or Grosse Pointe City, which has a number of houses near their shopping area that are duplexes. Typically they are along St. Clair, Notre Dame, and Neff Streets. I have lived in flats in both areas. If you land in the City you can ride your bike to St. John in about 10 minutes. The "rental districts" in the Pointes are great because you can walk to most everything you need [[groceries, post office, bars, etc.).

Welcome to the area! Don't be scared off by any "shady" talk.

What's that gated community that has the marina on the lake, the hi-rise that is stepped shaped with the balconies facing the lake and a lot of apartments and condos running to the marina on the lakeside of jefferson between 9 and 10 mile?

How crude, I am guessing A2 means Ann Arbor, what do you know about Detroit. My son owns a home on Harvard, EEV, Our other lives in Midtown, They have owned property in GP. Nice areas

Lots of great places to eat and party on the east side too. Mostly really happy in the D. Really wish subs would stop commenting. The opinions are non important living in burbs!

Sounds like an astute fellow. Probably knows that Detroit is the elephant in GP's living room.
    Do you know a lot of astute valets? I am guessing you do, since it's all relative.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast