Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 'Take me out to the Frisk Game...' - Tigers put 55 metal detectors in place

Sheesh this sounds more like boarding an airplane than going to the old ball game.

"The Detroit Tigers are one of the early adopters of Major League Baseball’s new stadium security initiative that requires all fans to pass through metal detectors when entering a ballpark.

The team bought 55 walk-through metal detectors and about 15 hand-held scanning wands, Mike Healy, the Tigers’ vice president of ballpark operations, told Crain’s."
    This should be fun...

"Fans will need to empty their pockets of keys, mobile phones, and other items before walking through the metal detector."
    Why not belts and shoes in the trays? Don't they know about the shoe and underpants bombers?

Nonpermitted items include aerosol cans, nonservice animals, baseball bats, bottles, brooms, weapons, fireworks, fishing poles, Frisbees, hard coolers, laser pointers, markers, paint, full-face masks, nonbaseball signs, rollerblades, skateboards, sticks or folding chairs.
    Fishing poles? Really?

"The Tigers also said all the streets around Comerica Park will be closed to vehicle traffic beginning two hours before a gates open."
    What next? Blast barriers? Cavity searches?

Cited from this Crain's article

No fishing poles at baseball games? What's the point in going anymore.

My son got pulled over a while back, in a different state, for having a brake light out. The officer asked him if he had any drugs, alcohol, weapons or dead bodies in the vehicle. He got a verbal warning and let go. I don't even get this stuff anymore.

It's sad that we need to have this level of security, but as the Boston bombing reminds us, a catastrophic event can happen. They are just being prudent. If they didn't have metal detectors, and God forbid something happened, every single person in this city and across the country would be asking, "Why didn't they have more security?"

It's nothing that they haven't been doing at the Fox Theatre already for years... even the theatre tours require a metal detector...

It's all required by the MLB by next year; Detroit is just ready sooner than some of the other stadia.
    NEW YORK [[AP) — Entering a big league ballpark will be a bit like going through an airport by 2015.Major League Baseball has told its 30 teams they must implement security screening for fans by then, either with hand-held metal detection or walk-through magnetometers.
    “This procedure, which results from MLB’s continuing work with the Department of Homeland Security to standardize security practices across the game, will be in addition to bag checks that are now uniform throughout MLB,” baseball spokesman Michael Teevan said Tuesday.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...icle-1.1587239

"The Tigers also said all the streets around Comerica Park will be closed to vehicle traffic beginning two hours before a gates open."

Well, That explains the M-1 rail.......

I take it you haven't been to an NFL game recently. Having metal detectors is no where near as intrusive as the full body frisk the NFL puts its fans through. And lets not forget the NFLs idiotic clear bag policy.

Just another reason I no longer go to or watch NFL games on TV.
    Last edited by ndavies; March-25-14 at 08:17 AM.

I find it interesting that the Tigers announced they are opening the stadium earlier and are encouraging fans to arrive earlier as the delays will be immense. More people in the park earlier = more inside sales. What a coincidence.

I thing that has to hurt businesses outside the stadium as fans will be less inclined to hang out longer before and, having been there so long, less likely to stay around downtown after the games.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I find it interesting that the Tigers announced they are opening the stadium earlier and are encouraging fans to arrive earlier as the delays will be immense. More people in the park earlier = more inside sales. What a coincidence.

I thing that has to hurt businesses outside the stadium as fans will be less inclined to hang out longer before and, having been there so long, less likely to stay around downtown after the games.
    God bless that wonderful man Mike Ilitch, and the Ilitch Empire.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I don't think it will hurt outside businesses. Most people who come to Opening Day are there for the party more than the game. Beer is always cheaper outside the stadium.

Will the ticket prices increase this year, to “absorb” the costs of the security upgrades?

You know... the consumer could fix this exercise in security theater and invasion of your person by refusing to attend. Imagine the message sent by an empty stadium on opening day?

But, that isn't going to happen now is it? So, frankly, Tigers fans...stfu and get in line.

So suite holders have to show up more than two hours before a game to get to their pre-paid expensive parking?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Will the ticket prices increase this year, to “absorb” the costs of the security upgrades?
    A little something I learned about pricing when I was an evil person. Prices aren't set by costs. They're set by your willingness to pay.

This of course doesn't mean that you won't see evil companies adding 'fuel surcharges' or issuing press releases talking about the increased 'cost' of something they don't want to pay for.

Let's look at one Detroit example of how willingness to pay really drives prices. SUV's and Big 3 profit. Need I say more?

Back to this thread... its entirely rational for new Tiger Stadium to be concerned about patron safety. Remember how much it hurt downtown businesses after the Fireworks attack. Sales do drop if a place gets a reputation.

There's something sick and wrong about a system that makes everybody a criminal suspect in the name of saving a few lives each year.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    It's sad that we need to have this level of security, but as the Boston bombing reminds us, a catastrophic event can happen. They are just being prudent. If they didn't have metal detectors, and God forbid something happened, every single person in this city and across the country would be asking, "Why didn't they have more security?"
    I don't see this, TSA, etc as being prudent.

I see it as acting exactly the way terrorists hoped we would, terrorized. All over the world they are laughing their asses off at what I see as more knee jerk reactions, than prudence.

It's not as if metal detectors would have stopped the Boston Marathon bombing. The best thing you can do is go about your daily life and be vigilant and report anything suspicious.

Baseball games aren't fun in Detroit anymore. Comerica Park is more amusement park than ballpark. Then two tickets and some brewskies and you're looking at $100+ for an outing. Since when did baseball become a rich man's game? Now you're going to make me feel like I'm at some ungodly hybrid of an airport and shopping mall?

I used to go to games but stopped a couple years ago. I'll save my money and my dignity, thanks!

Casey's Pub doesn't have metal detectors or ferris wheels or $8.00 beers or a parking lot in front or other assorted dumb shit that only a stupid old fart like Illitch could come up with, and that's where I'll be on Opening Day.

I would think this is more to protect people from home grown assholes with guns, than terrorists of any kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Pam View Post
    I would think this is more to protect people from home grown assholes with guns, than terrorists of any kind.
    Good call. Don't forget the 'burbanites who "won't go into the City without my Glock"......

Quote Originally Posted by mikefmich View Post
    I don't see this, TSA, etc as being prudent.

I see it as acting exactly the way terrorists hoped we would, terrorized. All over the world they are laughing their asses off at what I see as more knee jerk reactions, than prudence.
    You feel "terrorized" by walking through a metal detector? And another poster called it an "invasion of privacy?" Countdown until some hyperbolic poster compares walking through a metal detector to being raped in 3...2...1..

Funny how no one seems to complain about the metal detectors they've had at Joe Louis Arena for years.

Well, This article has got to be good for business.....

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...s-in-their-car

During a police meeting in November, when it was reported there had been four guns stolen from vehicles parked downtown that week alone, Police Chief James Craig suggested a public education campaign warning Lions fans with gun licenses to refrain from leaving them in their vehicles.

a real police chief would have beefed up patrols looking for thieves breaking into cars. would have installed bait cars equipped with gps tags in phony guns and found out where the guns went, who bought/sold them and brought down illegal gun trafficking gangs.

but james craig? oh hes going to put out a public service announcement. because its your fault metro detroiters. not detroit police departments job to stop crime.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    During a police meeting in November, when it was reported there had been four guns stolen from vehicles parked downtown that week alone, Police Chief James Craig suggested a public education campaign warning Lions fans with gun licenses to refrain from leaving them in their vehicles.

a real police chief would have beefed up patrols looking for thieves breaking into cars. would have installed bait cars equipped with gps tags in phony guns and found out where the guns went, who bought/sold them and brought down illegal gun trafficking gangs.

but james craig? oh hes going to put out a public service announcement. because its your fault metro detroiters. not detroit police departments job to stop crime.
    Well, in his defense, he can't take cops off of cross walk duty on game days... how would people get across the street?

Why are metal detectors needed? Are wands less reliable at detecting weapons or dangerous objects?

Why is this a big deal? OK, walk thru the metal detector. Continue on to the consession stand, to your seat and then enjoy the game. I can't imagine the downside to this scenario overpowering the upside. People do this for many things nowadays. Airport. Concerts. Banks [[depending on location). Schools.
    I would imagine most would think its a good thing to know that the guy behind you working on his 9th beer doesn't have a S&W stuffed in his waistband.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast