Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Lake Shore Road addresses

I am having trouble ascertaining the house that may have been standing at 135 Lake Shore Road in 1915. As the mansions were all torn down, I cannot figure out which mansion was at this address. My grandmother was a nanny and old letters addressed to her indicate she stayed for a while at Dr. Torrey's home, Claireview II, but I am uncertain as to what home stood at 135 Lake Shore, as she also received mail there. If anyone may know the postal addresses on Lake Shore in 1915 I would be most appreciative. Thanks.

The Newberry estate was at 123, and two doors north, there was a home at 135. That would be about where Lee Gate Lane off of Grosse Pointe Boulevard is now.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    The Newberry estate was at 123, and two doors north, there was a home at 135. That would be about where Lee Gate Lane off of Grosse Pointe Boulevard is now.
    The J. S. Newberry house is towards the left side of the map. The home of A. E. Brush, The Pines, seems to be 2 doors to the north.

The map is from a 1974 reprint of a 1886 Silas Farmer book, Grosse Pointe on Lake Sainte Claire.
    Name:  Picture 4.jpg
Views: 1388
Size:  41.2 KB
    Last edited by Neilr; November-30-11 at 10:06 AM. Reason: still learning "right' & "left"

Name:  Picture 4.jpg
Views: 1210
Size:  41.5 KB

I got tired of leaning my head to the right.

I'll check some sources when I get home. Most of my directories from the era don't list a specific address for homes in "the boonies". For instance, in the 1915 phone book, Dr. Torrey's address is listed simply as Lakeshore Road, Grosse Pointe Shores, like, of course, everyone knows which house is his. Rare for the time, he also had a phone number for his garage and his superintendent's office.
    Last edited by MikeM; November-30-11 at 02:05 PM.

I've been wanting to ask a similar question. I have Harley Earl's 1939 Address on Lakeshore Dr. but it's apparantly an older address system.
    Last edited by CountrySquire; November-30-11 at 02:41 PM.

No, Grosse Pointe didn't change their addresses like Detroit did. At least not the Farms.

The address of Clairview [[Claireview) was 575 Lakeshore.

A few movies were filmed in the home as well. From Turner Classic Movies:The Mysterious Mr. Browning [[1918)

Cast:
    Walter Miller as Mr. Browning, also known as Red Harrigan
    Paul Panzer
    Edna Maison
    CERTIFICATION N/A
    DIRECTOR N/A
    ACTOR[[S) Walter Miller, Paul Panzer, Edna Maison more....
    COLOR N/A
    SOUND N/A
    ASPECT none available
    YEAR 1918
    DURATION N/A
    GENRE Mystery [[Detective)

This film was produced in Detroit and used a number of Detroit citizens in prominent parts. Most of the interiors of the film were shot at the residence of Dr. H. N. Torrey at Grosse Park Shores. Other Detroit locations filmed were the Detroit River, East Side tenements, parks and homes on Woodward Avenue. According to contemporary sources, this was the first motion picture made in Detroit. It was filmed in the summer of 1918, and had its premiere there on December 15, 1918.

Quote Originally Posted by CountrySquire View Post
    I've been wanting to ask a similar question. I have Harley Earl's 1939 Address on Lakeshore Dr. but it's apparantly an older address system.
    Harley J Earl
    491 Lake Shore Road
    Grosse Pointe Farms,
    Wayne, Michigan

Source 1940 census

When I was researching the former Stevens home at 431 Lake Shore, I found that Lake Shore numbering had changed in response to residents believing a lower house number was more prestigious than a higher house number. I'll find my notes and references and post here.