Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default St. Irony's Day Parade

I know going public with my skipping this year's St. Patrick's Day Parade will put my 50% claim of Irish ancestry at risk...but last night I heard that the police were rather aggressive with the open alcohol prohibition this year. One of my cousins was in charge of the parade security, and he was reportedly exhausted running around trying to insure nobody in the parade was ticketed.

How Irish is our new mayor?!

Name like Duggan, I'd expect some understanding of this very American traditional celebration. Seems shutting down a street to vehicular traffic isn't enough to notify everyone that this is a special day.

Officers of the law should be handling those causing trouble, if disturbances happen and the offenders have open containers...ticket them for it too along with whatever they did to get attention. But for regular folks out having a bit of fun looking for Spring after one of the toughest Winters in almost a hundred years?

Seems pretty heavy-handed to me.

Minus a bunch of points for the new Chief...unless he can say he got orders straight from Duggan or the dictatOrr. Curious where this newfound zeal comes from.

Anyone have troubles last weekend, besides the weather?!

Thought something was up when they let Charlie off the hook a week or so ago from last year's famous infraction...
    Last edited by Gannon; March-22-14 at 09:40 PM.

I did not go to the parade on Monday, but I did drive west on Michigan Ave. about 5:00 Pm from work. I saw a guy staggering so bad that he fell into the street and a big fight. In broad daylight. No cops around as the parade had long-since passed by. I just don't see that public drunkenness is something to overlook on a special day. Take it inside.http://www.reuther.wayne.edu/node/6678

It might have just been practice for Opening Day on March 31 for both sides, the drinkers & the cops.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I know going public with my skipping this year's St. Patrick's Day Parade will put my 50% claim of Irish ancestry at risk...but last night I heard that the police were rather aggressive with the open alcohol prohibition this year. One of my cousins was in charge of the parade security, and he was reportedly exhausted running around trying to insure nobody in the parade was ticketed.

How Irish is our new mayor?!

Name like Duggan, I'd expect some understanding of this very American traditional celebration. Seems shutting down a street to vehicular traffic isn't enough to notify everyone that this is a special day.

Officers of the law should be handling those causing trouble, if disturbances happen and the offenders have open containers...ticket them for it too along with whatever they did to get attention. But for regular folks out having a bit of fun looking for Spring after one of the toughest Winters in almost a hundred years?

Seems pretty heavy-handed to me.

Minus a bunch of points for the new Chief...unless he can say he got orders straight from Duggan or the dictatOrr. Curious where this newfound zeal comes from.

Anyone have troubles last weekend, besides the weather?!

Thought something was up when they let Charlie off the hook a week or so ago from last year's famous infraction...
    You heard right.

I don't mind enforcement of the law. However you had overzealous cops harassing every 24th person or so, seemingly randomly. I mean, there was no shortage of open containers, you just had to hop you weren't the one pegged.

I had a cop tell me to pour out my $4 can of Bud Light or get a $100 ticket, so naturally, I cheerfully obliged. Then I asked him, with such rampant crime in the city, such as on the eastside, where I live, why was this such a priority? He told me call Chief Craig.

Sure. Let me get right on that.

Contrary to popular belief, this town does not know how to party. We have a few weird, giant, corporatized festivals, where open container is, of course, legal. Then you have totally random enforcement at what, in other cities, would be a spontaneous and happy celebration [[i.e. a parade)

After spending a inflated prices for very little booze [[which I had to pour out anyway) and equally little fun, I left early.

Genius move to bust people while they're drinking casually DURING the parade, and then pack up and go back to the cop shop after the parade is over and the hardcore drunks are still hanging around looking for trouble and more booze.

I'm not Irish, but I am Catholic, so I thought I'd have a little revelry, but I probably won't bother in the future.
    Last edited by poobert; March-22-14 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SWMAP View Post
    I did not go to the parade on Monday, but I did drive west on Michigan Ave. about 5:00 Pm from work. I saw a guy staggering so bad that he fell into the street and a big fight. In broad daylight. No cops around as the parade had long-since passed by. I just don't see that public drunkenness is something to overlook on a special day. Take it inside.http://www.reuther.wayne.edu/node/6678

Oh, the parade had long passed...it is always the Sunday BEFORE the 17th of March...which this year was the day before. That's why the street was so clean, I'd bet. They go all "Eastern Market" through there overnight after the parade so nothing remains Monday morning.

Gives the establishments two days of revenue enhancement for their year's cash flow. Apparently the Establishment missed this memo, and only caught one day's worth of income for the city.

That's all this was, a revenue grab by enterprising city officials.

When I went in search of any warnings of increased enforcement of the parade this year...I got one story covering last year and then an article about how the chief has to help income to bolster the pensions. I'll see if I can find it again.

The article did NOT make any link to the parade, Google did...perhaps their algorithm is learning how to conspiratorize.

heh

Cheers!
    John