Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Detroit's Abandoned Car Wash & Detail Shop Pics!

Many aren't aware that Detroit is plagued with not only abandoned homes & commercial buildings, but also an extraordinary amount of Car Wash & Detail Centers. More than any other city in the world! My guesstimate would be that well over 100 currently exist.

Most who live in the suburbs of Detroit don't have tthe pleasure [[displeasure to many) of seeing these unique sites and that is why I've decided to pass along some pictures for people to digest.

Because the city I live in [[Grosse Pointe) is basically surrounded by Detroit, I have decided to take different routes to and from work when possible to capture some pictures and share. The message that this shares may be interpreted quite different to each person and that is totally understandable. I personally find in disparaging that so many businesses of this industry never had a chance to fulfill its dream resulting in closure. I am looking forward to hearing people's thoughts on these and will continue to update this thread when possible with more pictures. Enjoy!

The problem with tackling these sites is really simple, yet very complicated. They are all on contaminated land, the price to tear down these structures and remediate the land is astronomical. You could pay to have the entire block that these shops are situated on torn down for the price of cleaning the chemicals out the land beneath these places. The same goes for old dry cleaning locations.
    I'm not sure what Mindy had to do to make Red Crown in Grosse Point safe to serve food in when she converted the former Standard service station into a restaurant when she was there.
    I guess it would be easier to convert than to demolish.

The red brick building was a fire station?

The blue and green one looks kinda like it had curbed glass block on the front and would look cool with a couple rows of neon around the top and used as a coffee/sandwich shop.

The one that is "Youngs" is a cool building.

I wonder how many are shut for the season verses permanently.

A lot are the reuse of past service stations,in the eighties in Mlps we converted the old bay stations into quick lubes some servicing in excess of 50 changes a day.I does not seem as though it happened there.

Quote Originally Posted by astongraham View Post
    The problem with tackling these sites is really simple, yet very complicated. They are all on contaminated land, the price to tear down these structures and remediate the land is astronomical. You could pay to have the entire block that these shops are situated on torn down for the price of cleaning the chemicals out the land beneath these places. The same goes for old dry cleaning locations.
    I'm not sure what Mindy had to do to make Red Crown in Grosse Point safe to serve food in when she converted the former Standard service station into a restaurant when she was there.
    The super fund created for the tank removal and clean up should have been used long ago.

The manufactures of the curved 90 degree from the tank up knew the life expectancy was less then 20 years and failed to pass that info on,hence the fund.

I wonder if the thread could have this playing as you peruse the photo's?

Quote Originally Posted by astongraham View Post
    Hard to believe that car wash soap & road grime going down a drain is going to contaminate the land?

Quote Originally Posted by Pro-Techt View Post
    Hard to believe that car wash soap & road grime going down a drain is going to contaminate the land?
    Agreed. Many of these car washes were in fact in former [[coverted) commercial structures that weren't contaminated.

Yes car washing locations can and do pollute the ground water and soil where they are located, especially if the locations aren't monitored by the agency incharge of their regulation. Franks carwash on Schoenherrr is owner by a guy that does my oil changes and other car needs. Upon opening the carwash, we had a conversation about him having the land tested for past chemicals because the location was a previous carwash he also told me about the yearly inspection that is conducted by the state to test that cleaning chemicals aren't leaching into the area water table.
    If you ever watched Breaking Bad, you'd know the carwash that they owned was seized by them because the carwash was "polluting" the land and water table in the neighborhood. Though they lied to get possession of the property, these inspections and environmental requirements are enforced.
    I will also add that car washes require water pollution control permits in order to operate. A quick check of your city policies and a stop at the EPA website has all the info u need on this.
    Last edited by astongraham; March-22-14 at 10:50 AM.

Great post, nice theme and observations Pro-Techt. Car washes and old-style abandoned gas station fascinate me. Many car washes are started up in former gas/service stations.

I think their proliferation is due the ability to go into that business with low start-up cost. All one needs in a place on a busy street, running water and some drainage to start a hand car wash. No expensive automated equipment like the drive through places.

Part of the car wash culture seems to inspire mural art. I like the color and the entrepreneurial spirit of this one. Reggie has added a tire service, another low start-up business.

All of them don't look abandoned. I bet some are still open, look to just need some cosmetics like paint and general cleanup. Hand car washes are better for your car's finish anyway. That's why I wonder why there aren't any in the suburbs? Just Jax and other automated car washes.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; March-22-14 at 03:25 PM.

With so many abandoned car washes, does everyone now have a dirty car?

GUSHI Guest

People can't afford car due to insurance in the city, thats why all the car washes are closed. Dirty car, the least of Detroit's worries, more like dirty/trash/litter full streets.

Very interesting photos, Pro-Techt.

How long ago were car washes only $3?

Quote Originally Posted by SunnySideAnimationsph View Post
    Very interesting photos, Pro-Techt.

How long ago were car washes only $3?
    They're still $3 at a few car washes.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    They're still $3 at a few car washes.
    There was a drive through car wash on Maple at Crooks that was one dollar up to a year or so ago. Now the price is two dollars. They don't wipe it off or anything, you drive off dripping a little.

These businesses abound in Chicago urban neighborhoods. My guess is that they are a way to pay street dealers in cash and make it appear legit.

Since posting this thread I've captured photos of 15 more shops. I'll post them asap.

There are a few three dollar chain car washes the D that washes and slightly blow your car dry with the 'option' to pay a small 'tip' [[an extra dollar or two) to guys at the exit to towel you off. I usually just drip dry.

Quote Originally Posted by softailrider View Post
    There was a drive through car wash on Maple at Crooks that was one dollar up to a year or so ago. Now the price is two dollars. They don't wipe it off or anything, you drive off dripping a little.

Since posting this thread I've captured photos of 15 more shops. I'll post them asap.
    Keep 'em coming. Never thought much about them before but they're interesting to see.

I like the car wash and sandwich shop and the car wash and barber shop.

Talking mostly off the top of my head here.

Detroit stated the car wash industry and developed most of the mechanical equipment to keep it growing.

Paul's Car Wash [[I think) on Fort Street near the Detroit Club was the first mechanized car wash. Had the same glazed tile front as the ElWood.

First soft wash equipment was developed in Detroit, now in Canton/Plymouth area.

Late night rambling on TV brought a reasonably entertaining documentary. Can't remember if it was one of the WTVS sub channels or Ontario's TVO.

Word is Detroit area is still the cheapest, competitive cities in the country to get your car washed.

Great thread and great photos!

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldj View Post
    Paul's Car Wash [[I think) on Fort Street near the Detroit Club was the first mechanized car wash.
    Back in 1946 to be exact.

Here is an article detailing the importance of Detroit in the history of the car wash business:
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2.../BIZ/302170020
    The article does mess up the location of the first commercial car wash though, due to the early '20s change in Detroit's addressing system. The actual location was on Woodward just north of Palmer [[not Woodward and Gratiot, which would be in the heart of downtown).
    Last edited by EastsideAl; March-24-14 at 07:08 PM.

Was the Paul's car wash on Fort Street the same Paul's that was at Woodward and 11 Mile I believe? I remember my Mom taking me there as a kid, and they had model cars lined up in the lobby.

The Paul's on Fort St. was the first one. Eventually, there were several Paul's Auto Wash locations around the Detroit area.

There are still two car washes operating today under that name. Oddly, both are in Clawson.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast