Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default dead dogs found in Rouge Park

Here's a link to the CBS Local story about the dead dogs found in Rouge Park. This will really motivate a lot of people from elsewhere to settle down in that promising new destination, Detroit. How bad can things get there? As it is, when I visit my family in the SF Bay Area, I have to keep reassuring them that I live in Ann Arbor, 40 miles away, and don't see these things.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2014/03/...-detroit-park/
    Last edited by admin; March-29-14 at 10:26 AM.

I don't care, as long as it's not in downtown/midtown...

[[sarcasm)

I actually find myself agreeing with OP, except...

Detroiters is a misnomer...undoubtedly many of those dead dogs have come from the neighboring suburbs, which are, quite frankly, quite undesirable as well.

Sorry, apologists, I have been around the world and these United States and aside from some carrion I've yet to see places with any dead canines, much less parks full of them, except Detroit.

It's as if Goebbels were to say, "oh, but there are these camps everywhere..."

Pure Michigan, my darlings.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I actually find myself agreeing with OP, except...

Detroiters is a misnomer...undoubtedly many of those dead dogs have come from the neighboring suburbs, which are, quite frankly, quite undesirable as well.

Sorry, apologists, I have been around the world and these United States and aside from some carrion I've yet to see places with any dead canines, much less parks full of them, except Detroit.

It's as if Goebbels were to say, "oh, but there are these camps everywhere..."

Pure Michigan, my darlings.
    Takes me back to my childhood this story does. Living on Conger then across the alley on Phelps at Van Dyke where the track for Kettering High, my old alma mater,the soon to be corn field, is now.

The brothers would walk the alleys with their dogs looking for fresh meat for their canine warriors. Didn't take much to open the alley gate....

Those were the days my friend...
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; March-22-14 at 05:02 AM.

Dog fighting seems to be a sport peculiar to the Afro-American culture [[poster boy Michael Vick).

Other cultures do not look at dogs like some of us look at little Fluffy.

Attachment 23052

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    I don't care, as long as it's not in downtown/midtown...

[[sarcasm)
    I like you.......

And then there are the Vietnamese-Americans

Attachment 23056

The depravity is widespread across the entire cultural spectrum of the USA:

IV. The Culture of Dogfighting

The culture of dogfighting is as diverse as America itself. Dogfighters come from virtually all walks of life and engage in the blood sport at vastly different levels. Some fighters operate on a national or even international level within highly clandestine networks. These fighters are professionals that breed generations of skilled “game dogs," take a great deal of pride in the lineage of their dogs and charge tremendous stud fees to breed their champions. They publish trade journals for distribution to dogfighting enthusiasts around the world. [26] The journals, with names like Your Friend and Mine, Game Dog Times, The American Warrior, and The Pit Bull Chronicle, include information on recent fights including the winners and losers, and advertisements for training equipment and puppies. [27] One of the largest and most widely recognized, The Sporting Dog Journal, circulates over 10,000 copies worldwide. [28] Because the professional fighters are so geographically dispersed, they also utilize the internet to communicate with one another. The “cyber-dogmen” maintain websites that to the untrained eye appear to be networks of breeders or “game dog” fanciers. They often go so far as to publish legal disclaimers on the websites, maintaining that they do not condone dogfighting and the information should be “viewed as fiction” and utilized “for entertainment purposes only.” [29] The websites typically include specific information on the lineage of the dogs, historic accounts of dog-fighting that glorify anonymous, deceased, or ‘retired’ dog-men, and message boards for enthusiasts to discuss everything from buying and training champion fighting dogs to veterinary tips on treating wounded dogs. [30] Professional fighters are wealthy and experienced, often investing thousands of dollars on buying and training their dogs, and on transport to the fight venues. [31] The fights are extremely well organized and difficult for law enforcement to find. [32] Participants and spectators are often not told where the venues are until moments before the fight. “Gaining access to these circles is extremely hard,” says Eric Sakach, Director of the West Coast Regional Office of the Humane Society of the United States. [33]

http://www.animallaw.info/articles/d...ting.htm#id-21

IMO, the cultural subset applicable to Detroit is covered here:

No type of dog fighters are more violent however than the third group, the street fighters. [42] Dog fighting is an extremely common blood sport in all urban areas. Dog fighters are violent criminals, often gang members, who conduct and attend organized fights as a forum for gambling and drug trafficking. “Drugs, gangs, dope, dogs…they all go together.” [43] Within the gang community, fighting dogs compete with firearms as the weapon of choice; indeed, their versatile utility arguably surpasses that of a loaded firearm in the criminal underground. To the gang members, the dogs are an extension of each member’s status; the fights are championship matches that aggrandize the gang leader’s supremacy and intimidate younger members. It is extremely easy for urban criminals to acquire fighting dogs. They buy fighting dogs for a few hundred dollars or more commonly, they breed their own or steal them.
    Dogfighting is an insidious underground organized crime and all dog fighters, regardless of their level, embrace many peripheral crimes and gang activities including drug dealing and consumption, gambling, theft, and violence against humans. [44] Dogfighting is an incredible source of income for gangs and drug traffickers. In fact, the average dog fight could easily net more money than an armed robbery, or a series of isolated drug transactions. Organized dog fights are staged by leaders of the drug trade as forums to distribute narcotics. Many recent dog fighting raids, include those in Flint, MI [[2003), Buffalo, NY [[2004), Port St. Lucie, FL [[2004), Jones County, GA [[2004), and Oklahoma City, OK [[2004), have resulted in the infiltration of major drug distribution networks, and the arrest of the drug kingpins who regularly organized and attended the dog fights. [45]
    Fighting dogs are clandestine security devices for drug traffickers. Drugs are often stashed in containers to which the dogs are chained in yards or vacant fields. The dogs also provide excellent security inside drug houses and warehouses. Where once the presence of dogs was utilized as an overt warning to potential invaders, it is now increasingly common for criminals to have the dogs debarked [[vocal cords severed), to act as silent alarm and attack systems against unsuspecting invaders. The presence of the silent killers poses a significant threat to law enforcement personnel entering these premises. With the increasing popularity hybrid human-aggressive fighting dogs, such as Presa Canarios, the law enforcement community has had to confront the urgency of cracking down on criminals who harbor fighting dogs. These dogs truly are loaded weapons, when placed in the wrong hands.
    Criminals also use dogfighting to yield large profits through illegal gambling. Participants and spectators wager excessive sums on the fights. "It's so much money. You would not believe the money floating around left and right." [46] Purses for a single fight range anywhere from several hundred dollars to tens of thousand of dollars, and up. [[A recent raid in Georgia in 2004, which resulted in 123 arrests, was an event with a $50,000 pot.) Bets also include cars, property titles, weapons, drugs, jewelry, and other valuables. For many, dogfighting is a lucrative money making enterprise, but the price that the victims of the bloody sport must pay is simply too high to be ignored. [47]

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I like you.......
    Yeah, sorry...

I'm flattered and all, but although same-sex marriage is now legal, I still like the opposite sex myself...

I find it odd that there are people being offended by a bunch of dogs being found dead in a park when there are people being found dead all over the City every day. I am more offended by people being found dead.

Don't get me wrong, I am no fan of people who participate in dog fights, but lets have some perspective here.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I find it odd that there are people being offended by a bunch of dogs being found dead in a park when there are people being found dead all over the City every day. I am more offended by people being found dead.

Don't get me wrong, I am no fan of people who participate in dog fights, but lets have some perspective here.
    Disagree. How many bodies found in a park are there because they are innocent pawns to some sick game? People choose to be drug dealers, thieves and rapists. Dogs don't have a choice, they are here to serve the needs of their humans and deserve better. Many humans don't.

I covered murders in Flint and Detroit, 80% of the cases were of someone who had it coming based on lifestyle. I have no sympathy for them, neither should you.

Hoping we are worthy to adopt a Basset hound. Our back yard is 150 by 50 a great dog run too. We currently have 3 dogs. Putz is amazingly old.

Quote Originally Posted by Lombaowski View Post
    Disagree. How many bodies found in a park are there because they are innocent pawns to some sick game? People choose to be drug dealers, thieves and rapists. Dogs don't have a choice, they are here to serve the needs of their humans and deserve better. Many humans don't.

I covered murders in Flint and Detroit, 80% of the cases were of someone who had it coming based on lifestyle. I have no sympathy for them, neither should you.
    I don't disagree with your facts, just your morality. That is still 20 percent who are victims. I suspect that the 80 percent that had it coming have a high percentage of victims as well.

After all people born into hell often have few options of escaping it. I am not saying that it can't happen, but upward mobilitity is for the fortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I don't disagree with your facts, just your morality. That is still 20 percent who are victims. I suspect that the 80 percent that had it coming have a high percentage of victims as well.

After all people born into hell often have few options of escaping it. I am not saying that it can't happen, but upward mobilitity is for the fortunate.
    There are a lot of people that get caught in the crossfire I found, especially kids. It's certainly tough being an inner city teenager, and you have to have a support network there that many of them simply don't. I grew up in Detroit in the 70s and 80s, I was fortunate to be able use what I learned there later in life for positive gain.

As bad as Detroit was in that time with drug violence spiking and the city really bottoming out, there were still a lot normalcy in neighborhoods. Sure there was a lot of petty crime and problems, but I don't remember home invasion stuff or never-ending aggravated assaults.

What I came back to after being away about 15 years was a Detroit that I no longer knew, the people hadn't necessarily changed but the stakes were higher because the level of desperation. Even the great people who stayed in my old neighborhood, felt lost. It was sad and it made me angry, still does.

When i lived near whittier someone dumped a bunch of dogs in the alley behind my house. Its unsanitary, foul smelling, disgusting.
    Breeds that are fought are bred for fighting and guarding things. Its in their disposition. A guy shoots a dog in his yard and people are up in arms on the internet talking about he should be shot. Meanwhile you open their fridge and its full of dead animal. People hunt and kill tens of thousands of animals a year for sport or meat yet someone shoots a dog and its completely different. They're dogs. We arent even that compassionate about the lives of one another yet we get bent out of shape over dogs? I dont get it. I dont agree with dog fighting but when i read that article the first thing that comes to mind is if they are going to do this why arent they disposing of the carcasses in a sanitary manner.

GUSHI Guest

Last time I was in Europe I remember reading in a local paper, that to handle the dog population they were shooting them. It also said that some German tourist were taking the dogs back to there hotel rooms and trying to save them. Don't get me wrong I have a dog and he is party of my family, but I think we as American tend to treat dogs as more than just animal, but they are just animals.

I suppose I can go look this up, but I am wondering if dog fighting is
    a common sport in Africa. The pit bull is a quintessentially English dog,
    not an African one. I would guess that the African Americans who
    fight dogs get the custom from their English heritage, not their African
    heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by Dumpling View Post
    I suppose I can go look this up, but I am wondering if dog fighting is
    a common sport in Africa. The pit bull is a quintessentially English dog,
    not an African one. I would guess that the African Americans who
    fight dogs get the custom from their English heritage, not their African
    heritage.
    Old Europe was a pretty awful place. The English were into bear-baiting and bull baiting [[the classic English bull dog was bred for this), dog fighting, cock fighting, etc. The Vikings practiced human sacrifice. The Romans had the whole coliseum thing going which consumed large numbers of animals and humans [[ever wonder what happened to the European lion?). The Europeans also practiced slavery on a large scale long before anyone saw a black man [[the word slave comes from Slav). They still have bullfighting in Spain.

Slowly but surely, the "enlightenment" occurred which ended these practices. Slavery and serfdom were in such bad repute that the only way the English Protestants would have slaves is by convincing themselves that blacks were less than human and therefore could rightfully be enslaved.

Looked at my last post. Sounded so defensive and mean. Our area kinder, are well looked after. They do have a Village that cares.

Chopping a dog's head off? So depraved!

Damn you Detroiters.

DAMN YOU !!!!

I received an email from the Friends of Rouge Park on the 21st about this matter, and the email stated,

"The CBS article has a lot of misinformation. We spoke with the person, Greg Ostrander, who reported the dead dogs and found that he is not a city employee and he did not uncover dozens of dogs, it was Greg and another who live in the area who found a total of three dogs, one yesterday and two today. The park is NOT "well-know [[sic) for dog fighting" and does NOT have "a high activity for drugs and other illegal activities," as the article claims. Rouge Park is the victim of the dumping, not the cause.

This is a horrific and ongoing problem that must be addressed. Greg Ostrander, who lives in Warrendale and has been rescuing abandoned dogs and finding dead ones for years, is organizing a rally to raise awareness about the problem. If you wish to join the rally, meet at Brennan Pools at noon tomorrow, Saturday. The press will be there. "
    Last edited by admin; March-29-14 at 10:23 AM.

GUSHI, this post is for you.
    There was an earlier thread on this site which ends with Gibran:
    "We must heal and remember forgiveness is a start, but compassion
    to other is the foundation:..."
    Spelling or no [[I'm sure you will use the spell check feature when it's
    available!), I hope you keep posting. Your posts are useful even if
    they contain disdain and dislike for aspects of Detroit. My sister used
    to be a restaurant manager for a suburban chain restaurant, and received management training on how to love and take care of the pickiest
    customers, and being able to do so, was able to provide for the restaurant's bottom line. You are a DetroitYES pickiest customer if I may say so.
    Detroit is an interesting city in that large waves of immigrants came here
    from diverse places most especially in the first half of the twentieth
    century. In some instances they were fleeing from pogrom-friendly
    conditions. Several instances, not all, that I might cite: Jews from
    Poland, Greeks from Turkey, and African-Americans from the Deep
    South prior to 1960. Then in the post WWII general prosperity the
    metro sprawled with many people buying houses and settling in stable,
    long-term neighborhoods that are still there in many areas even in
    Detroit. Initially these neighborhoods tended to be distinctive ethnic
    "lumps" but over time for various reasons these lumps are more diffuse
    and have moved outward away from the original center of the city if not
    away from the city altogether. For every group, for every family, there
    is a push, there is a pull, either to go or to stay put. It is very interesting
    to me to observe the "pushes and pulls" that pertain to you [[as well
    as others that post).

So, dogs are one factor that can be push or pull. If someone
    dumped several dead dogs in the alley behind your house, and
    they had been used for fighting, and the city department of
    public works can't or won't come and get them, and you don't
    like dogs, absolutely we can say there is some push factor there?

So then. Are there any areas in the Detroit metro where the dog
    situation is okay for you or is all of it repulsive, dog-wise?

This thread has been purged of posts containing name-calling and personal attacks and renamed. All posts responding to or commenting on such threads are likewise removed.

Please be civil and discuss Detroit and not yourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    This thread has been purged of posts containing name-calling and personal attacks and renamed. All posts responding to or commenting on such threads are likewise removed.

Please be civil and discuss Detroit and not yourselves.
    Thank You

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast