Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default 7 mile and Southfield area

I grew up around 7 mile and Gilchrist. I worked as a teen at Mikes Fruit Market at 7 and Southfield. I was wondering did anyone else live around there that could relate any stories?

The businesses along 7 Mile Rd. and Southfield FWY. is still thriving. It's loaded and sucessful black businesses and ethnic center businesses, too.

Yeah, that's a part of NW Detroit that isn't fancy, but still retained a good deal of business and semi-prosperity. Almost all black, solidly working to middle class, decent looking in parts, was Jewish up until about 1970.

Seven Mile Rd. is the new Paradise Valley!!

When I was in my late teens and used to hang a lot with the Rosedale Park/Cass Tech/Redford St. Mary's west side crowds, there was a nice little bar up there on 7 Mile just off Southfield where we used to spend a lot of time, circa 1978-80. We would practically take over the place on Sundays and turn it into our own private party. Can't remember the name of the place anymore though, and Streetview is providing no clues.

There was also another rival Catholic high school nearby whose students and graduates the St. Mary's kids were always ready to challenge. But I don't remember the name of that place either.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; March-21-14 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    When I was in my late teens and used to hang a lot with the Rosedale Park/Cass Tech/Redford St. Mary's west side crowds, there was a nice little bar up there on 7 Mile just off Southfield where we used to spend a lot of time, circa 1978-80. We would practically take over the place on Sundays and turn it into our own private party. Can't remember the name of the place anymore though, and Streetview is providing no clues.

There was also another rival Catholic high school nearby whose students and graduates the St. Mary's kids were always ready to challenge. But I don't remember the name of that place either.
    Say you DID spend a lot of time there.....

Benedictine?

Catholic Central used to use their field or home games when thy were at 6565 West Outer Drive. Benedictine was at Outer Drive and Southfield.

I went to St Marys, class of 78, lived by Grand River and Greenfield. There was a bar on 7 Mile just east of Southfield we would go to occasionally in that same timeframe, knew some guys who were in a band that played there. I think it was Les's Lounge. There was also a place called Shenanigans, I think it was on 6 just east of Southfield. Knew a lot of Rosedale people, we hung out at the park a lot in the mid-late 70s. Jordans On The River and The Cartwheel were also local hangouts, over by Fenkell/Grand River and Southfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Say you DID spend a lot of time there.....
    Well, my ummm... lifestyle back then didn't really lend itself to creating lasting memories. A lot of details from those years are pretty foggy in my brain. Then I woke up one day a year or so later and inexplicably found myself in East Lansing as an MSU student.

Benedictine... that was it! Thanks.

I think you referring to Fran and Jerry's. The building is still there, on the north side of 7 Mile.

I seem to remember pre 1978 the bar right around there was maybe the Fenmore Lounge. Another poster said Fran and Jerrys, but that was on Six mile just east of Southfield., I remember that place fondly.

Well, my ummm... lifestyle back then didn't really lend itself to creating lasting memories.
    No harm meant, it just hit me funny. I too subscribed to the "survival of the strongest brain cells" theory for years.

Phil's Bar was on 7 Mile, just west of Southfield.

Anybody ever go to Truans or Brickleys for ice cream. Also we played baseball at the parl on archale. Seems like a century ago now I am married and live in Thailand

Quote Originally Posted by Hsstibel View Post
    I seem to remember pre 1978 the bar right around there was maybe the Fenmore Lounge. Another poster said Fran and Jerrys, but that was on Six mile just east of Southfield., I remember that place fondly.
    That's it. The Fenmore Lounge. I should have just looked at the map, since it was right at the corner of 7 Mile and... Fenmore. I still remember the ultra-friendly bartender, who was probably a little friendlier than the owner would have liked. And sitting in there during the 1979 World Series and winning a substantial amount of money [[quickly blown on drinks) from those who didn't think the Pirates could come back from a 3-1 deficit.

I mostly frequented a few bars west of Southfield. The Genoa Lounge, Trade Winds by Evergreen, and the Avon near 7 and telegraph. Worked at the Mobil at 7 and Southfield once, and the Texaco at 7 and Huntington. Early to mid 70s. A great neighborhood to grow up in.

The owner of Fenmore bar was RED he used to come into Mikes Fruit Market when I was cashier there and buy large quanities of tomatoes for his hamburgers Nice guy and very quiet.

What about PIZZA pete was very good pizza and they delivered till about 11 or 12 mid before MORGUS SHOW