Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Money granted for second kilpatrick lawyer to help in appeal

How does this get missed on DetroitYes? This is major news. thug KK is getting more taxpayer money to pay for an appeal??? How does this happen in a city where cuts are being made off the backs of taxpayers and retirees? I couldn't help think this must be a joke. He keeps on taking and taking, pillaging and raping Detroit and it doesn't seem to phase anyone...unbelievable!

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...er-help-appeal

Nothing having to do with KK surprises me. I think the city has- unfortunate as it may seem- a legal obligation to fund his defense for actions related to his service as mayor. No such obligation exists for his crimes outside the realm of his service as mayor. Detroit will be periodically made a victim by this troll for many years to come, from his pointless appeals to civil action against the city by both KK himself and his victims. If he had a shred of decency- and clearly, he does not- he would quietly accept his fate, issue an apology, and disappear forever. He constantly hurts this kids and this city. I have no sympathy for his wife, mistress, mother, father or friends and associates, who beyond doubt were aware of his wrongdoing [[and in many cases profited from it).

Y'all's boy needs some help.

After a verdict of guilty, I would think Detroit is done with it's "obligation" to help thug KK. I'm amazed that any judge would see it any other way!

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    After a verdict of guilty, I would think Detroit is done with it's "obligation" to help thug KK. I'm amazed that any judge would see it any other way!
    You'd think. But even a change in the law would only affect cases going forward. Maybe some very new lawyers should be assigned his case on a- what's the opposite of pro bono- basis.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    what's the opposite of pro bono

Professionally Boned

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Professionally Boned
    If I ever resort to paying for it, shoot me.

He keeps on taking and taking, pilleging and raping Detroit and it doesn't seem to phase anyone...unbelieveable!
    What do you recommend the citizens of the city do? We are stuck with this non-sense so should we simply start a bunch of threads complaining about it? Can we push to have legislation changed? Would it have an impact on previous cases?

Beyond expecting people to whine, what is your solution?

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Professionally Boned

Nice!............

The government will entertain his antics, and American taxpayers will foot the bill, the now disgraced former mayor has decades to drive people crazy. He can talk shit in the morning, tell war stories all afternoon – Kwame’s war stories are true, bought and paid for with the funds he swindled from the city – and in the evenings watch Bewitched and I Dream of Jeanie until the cows come home. I would venture the now supreme former leader is listening to every jailhouse lawyer in prison; telling him to file these frivolous motions, which do nothing except clog the court docket, and piss off the judge.

Jt1, you are correct on merit, but I do think people need to be able to vent about frustrating situations. KK will cause grief from time to time until he is six feet under [[and probably thereafter). I suspect [[I haven't read the relevant laws) that the city does not have a legal recourse to get out of providing him with counsel until he has exhausted all appeals. He can appeal every single charge he was convicted on several times [[assuming higher courts take the case; they could opt to let lower court rulings stand). I would be in favor of letting him out tomorrow if he would just disappear from the known world and cause no more grief. Since he'd never do that [[he ain't one to go quietly), we'll just have to have an angry moment every time he files an appeal, or investigators find further felonies he committed. And then we can go on with our lives. I am hoping that the one benefit he leaves Detroit [[and American) voters is an appreciation for electing honest people who working in the public interest. I genuinely don't think there is much surprise corruption out there. Sketchy snake-oil peddlin' politicians do turn out to be corrupt. Ficano will be a test. It does seem he is running for reelection. If he gets more than 10% of the vote in the Democrat primary, lesson not learned.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Jt1, you are correct on merit, but I do think people need to be able to vent about frustrating situations. KK will cause grief from time to time until he is six feet under [[and probably thereafter). I suspect [[I haven't read the relevant laws) that the city does not have a legal recourse to get out of providing him with counsel until he has exhausted all appeals. He can appeal every single charge he was convicted on several times [[assuming higher courts take the case; they could opt to let lower court rulings stand). I would be in favor of letting him out tomorrow if he would just disappear from the known world and cause no more grief. Since he'd never do that [[he ain't one to go quietly), we'll just have to have an angry moment every time he files an appeal, or investigators find further felonies he committed. And then we can go on with our lives. I am hoping that the one benefit he leaves Detroit [[and American) voters is an appreciation for electing honest people who working in the public interest. I genuinely don't think there is much surprise corruption out there. Sketchy snake-oil peddlin' politicians do turn out to be corrupt. Ficano will be a test. It does seem he is running for reelection. If he gets more than 10% of the vote in the Democrat primary, lesson not learned.
    I disagree about the venting part. Unless the venting results in changed legislation or any other action I see no point in wasting a moment venting about him or the debacle that is/was KK.

Venting when it can result in change is one thing. Venting just to keep the conversation going is another.

Lastly, CLA seems to accuse Detroit citizens of indifference because we aren't complaining about it. That is quite a statement from him/her so I would like to know what actions can be taken to prevent this again.

CLA just likes to bitch at and blame Detroit residents for everything. Complain about it and he calls us whiners. Ignore it and we are too indifferent which is why I asked what can/should be done.

It is appropriate for our city pay to defend its officers. Otherwise lawsuits against officers would be filed every moment by every Robert Davis just to intimidate.

[[And yes, I hate the idea of this thug being able to take advantage of us -- but we voted him in.)
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; March-21-14 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    It is appropriate for our city pay to defend its officers. Otherwise lawsuits against officers would be filed every moment by every Robert Davis just to intimidate.

[[And yes, I hate the idea of this thug being able to take advantage of us -- but we voted him in.)
    Yes, it's appropriate to defend active officers, but KK is no longer active in Detroit and has been convicted of crimes against Detroit and it's taxpayers; therefore, why would the city be responsible for future bills he may incur? He is a felon, case closed.

Yes, it's appropriate to defend active officers, but KK is no longer active in Detroit and has been convicted of crimes against Detroit and it's taxpayers; therefore, why would the city be responsible for future bills he may incur? He is a felon, case closed.
    American taxpayers are responsible, not the city. This was a Federal case, Federal rulings, Federal appeal...America is footing the tab...

Well, following that logic its the city's responsibility to provide a paycheck and health insurance to active firefighters. Firefighters who no longer punch the clock are providing no service to the city. Therefore the city should not be responsible to subsidize their living expenses.

Taxpayers are not on the line for future actions. Only actions that were 'incurred' while he was duly elected and serving as mayor.

If you don't defend officers after they've left of actions taken while they served, you will discourage responsible people from taking office. That's not good for a city. We've seen what unqualified candidates can do to a city.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevgoblue View Post
    Well, following that logic its the city's responsibility to provide a paycheck and health insurance to active firefighters. Firefighters who no longer punch the clock are providing no service to the city. Therefore the city should not be responsible to subsidize their living expenses.
    OMG, we're talking apples and oranges here. Firefighters or police officers or any City of Detroit retirees are not convicted felons. Employees who gave 30-40 years of dedicated service to Detroit with a promise of a pension deserve what was promised. The city is not subsidizing, it's fulfilling an obligation that was a condition of employment in a contract that was between employees and Detroit. If people can't see the difference between paying huge fees for lawyers for people who stole much needed funds for services to residents and a dedicated employee who did what was asked of them for years and years, then there is no sense in trying to change your mind....it's obviously closed.

OMG, we're talking apples and oranges here. Firefighters or police officers or any City of Detroit retirees are not convicted felons. Employees who gave 30-40 years of dedicated service to Detroit with a promise of a pension deserve what was promised. The city is not subsidizing, it's fulfilling an obligation that was a condition of employment in a contract that was between employees and Detroit. If people can't see the difference between paying huge fees for lawyers for people who stole much needed funds for services to residents and a dedicated employee who did what was asked of them for years and years, then there is no sense in trying to change your mind....it's obviously closed.
    Covering KK's legal expenses for lawsuits related to his work is also no doubt a condition of employment.

He may be a bum, but he's and his office did have entitlements.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Covering KK's legal expenses for lawsuits related to his work is also no doubt a condition of employment.

He may be a bum, but he's and his office did have entitlements.
    in my opinion, his entitlements ​ended when he was convicted and thrown in prison for 28 years. And, yes, he's a bum [[to put it mildly) .