Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default And they say kids don't do enough with their Fathers.

DETROIT [[WJBK) -

Two suspects are in custody after the beating death of a man at a liquor store on Eight Mile Road and Hubbell Street in Detroit.

Detroit Police Chief James Craig said Monday a father and his teenage son are being held in connection with the death.

Police have identified the victim as Carl Bell, 45. Police initially thought the victim was in his 60s.

They say Bell was attacked inside Happy Food Liquor Store Sunday evening during an argument. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

A 39-year-old man was arrested after returning to the northwest Detroit store, and his 15-year-old son was arrested later. Their names weren't released.

The appeared lack of response by witnesses of the attack is equally disturbing.

Many customers inside the business kept shopping. An employee came from behind the counter but did not appear to intervene with the attack. At one point he is seen on surveillance footage throwing his hands in the air and walking away.
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/24...-beating-death

Then there's that whole small business angle again.

And what can you say about those that watch it all? Community spirit?

And that community spirit was evident 50 years ago in the Kitty Genovese murder. Some things never change.

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critic...urrentPage=all

This story sickened me when I first saw it on the news & continues to do so as more information comes out.
    Imo EVERYONE who stood idle as this happened should be brought up on charges!!
    It takes a special type of monster to see something like this take place&do/say nothing.
    This entire thing is sick!!!
    Last edited by trotwood; March-17-14 at 10:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    This story sickened me when I first saw it on the news & continues to do so as more information comes out.
    Imo EVERYONE who stood idle as this happened should be brought up on charges!!
    It takes a special type of monster to see something like this take place&do/say nothing.
    This entire thing is sick!!!
    I understand where you're coming from.

But given the Mad Max times we're experiencing in Detroit, many people are deathly afraid to intervene and do what's morally right in fear of retaliation by the bad guys.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post

But given the Mad Max times we're experiencing in Detroit, many people are deathly afraid to intervene and do what's morally right in fear of retaliation by the bad guys.
    Puhlease... all a clerk had to do was call 911... rather than just scratch his ass... ditto for other folks standing around like duffuses... this is so wrong for so many reasons... How is Detroit EVER going to be great again, when it so many dysfunctional residents left??

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    How is Detroit EVER going to be great again, when it so many dysfunctional residents left??
    It's not the residents that are dysfunctional [[they're human just like you), but the culture the residents are living in that's dysfunctional, for many unfortunate reasons.

That said, I tend to agree with you. The city's too far gone to be great again [[although it could be a decent city again for some folks). That's why so many Detroiters continue to flee every year despite what's happening in downtown/midtown.

Just a typical Detroit black thing!

Puhlease... all a clerk had to do was call 911...
    And then the waiting game begins...

Police would have arrived about an hour after the victim was already dead, given average 911 response times in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    And then the waiting game begins...

Police would have arrived about an hour after the victim was already dead, given average 911 response times in the city.
    Yeah, you're right. Why bother?

This is, sadly, all too true. Twice in the past year I have intervened to stop crimes in progress [[a purse snatching, and car break-ins). Both times I've been questioned by others, including my girlfriend, as to my safety and sanity.

I am hardly alone though, and I have personally seen other Detroiters intervene to stop assaults and property crimes, or even to try to calm disputes.

But that last thing is something I think people are decreasingly likely to become involved in. For some reason, these personal disputes seem to be increasingly getting out of hand, and peacemakers have been hurt. And this liquor store beating case sounds like it was someone's personal beef that got violent. I'm not necessarily condoning non-involvement, but I can certainly understand it and understand why people felt that it wasn't their affair.

As for calling 911, the first incident of crime that I intervened in happened downtown during an event, and police were standing nearby and gave chase. In the second incident, which happened here on the east side, I called 911 and gave a full description and my contact information as soon as I looked out my window and saw the crimes occurring. When I went outside to intervene, I expected to see the police at any time. There was, in fact, no police response whatsoever. No cars, no calls back, nothing.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; March-18-14 at 11:16 AM.

Question.

If you were legally packing and were in that store would you have used deadly force to stop the beating?

Question:

If you were not the one being attacked, would you want to do the jail time [[even if just overnight) and pay the legal fees and possible civil penalties?

call 911? snitches get stitches....
    Last edited by Goose; March-18-14 at 12:58 PM.

I appreciate what you're saying&can't dispute it however from the clip I saw there seemed to be more apathy than fear from those observing.
    This is such a sad/tragic commentary on the collective community.

Yes! I believe I would. The thought of taking another life repulses me so I think my intent would've been to wound rather than kill. Had that not been enough&deadly force was the means to end what I saw take place in that video then I'd have to have stayed&prayed for a sympathetic jury as I awaited the law to
    collect me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    Question.

If you were legally packing and were in that store would you have used deadly force to stop the beating?

Puhlease... all a clerk had to do was call 911... rather than just scratch his ass... ditto for other folks standing around like duffuses... this is so wrong for so many reasons... How is Detroit EVER going to be great again, when it so many dysfunctional residents left??
    Every year in every large city you will see things like this. It is disgusting wherever it happens. I get it if there's a weapon involved or a huge group of thugs, but a fist and foot beatdown? cowards

Where is the outrage? Where is Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson and their elk on this? Many people were outrage on Zimmerman and the other guy who shot up the car full of young men then they were this incidents where these animal had jumped an elderly man. Everyone, get your gun license, carry your piece, and the first person who look like they are about to get in your face blow him away