Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Anyone know of an elementary school that needs books?

The writers' club at my niece's high school will be holding a children's book drive. Does anyone here know of an elementary school in Detroit, Hamtramck, or Highland Park that would like to add some gently used children's books to their library? Please give the name of the school and the principal and I will pass those along to my niece. Thanks!

Not a school, but the Georgia Street Community Collective could use the books. They bought a torn up crack-den and have changed it into a community center. Neighborhood children use the place to study, read and stay safe.

The GSCC started right here on Detroityes and is a true success story. Mark Covington runs the place and keeps the place going through hard work on his part and generous gifts from people who think one man can make a difference.

i don't have is contact info on me, but mark and th GSCC can be googled.

A very interesting essay in the New York Times last week emphasized how valuable it is for Black children to see themselves in literature, so the donated books should, as much as possible, speak to them. The NYT author quotes a study that, of the more than 1300 Children's books published last year, only 93 were about people of color: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/03/16...ml?referrer=It just pulls at your heartstrings that children would have so few stories that speak to their own lives.

GSCC not only houses children's books but books of all kinds. There is a very large lending library with fiction, non-fiction and even some reference books. Children's books are always welcome. We have sitting areas for kids to read in a safe, quiet environment.

Thanks, Gnome for mentioning us. GSCC is always in your heart, and we are very greatful for that.

JenniferL, please donate your books wherever your heart leads you. But if you choose GSCC, know that we appreciate it very much. Call Mark and come by to see what we have accomplished!

JenniferL - if you don't want to drive over to GSCC send me a Private Message and we can arrange a meet-up.