Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Albert

So, "The Albert" is really the old Griswold Building [[it took nearly halfway through that video to figure that out). I thought that was supposed to be a seniors building? What did they do with all the old folks in order to make the building 'safe' for those pretty young people with herringbone parquet floors and quartz countertops?

Old people make the biggest thugs. I got a @$$ whooping once from some old broad with a walker. I learned my lesson though.

So that's what Gilberttown folks did! Kick out the once subsidized poor folks from the Griswold Building. Gentrify it and sell it skinny jean young professionals and yuppies for a high price.

for young professionals and yuppies working for Dan Gilbert. The Griswold building units is problably selling like hot cakes. It's a real estate boom in an area where DEAD [[C)KRAK HEADS and folks waiting for D-DOT busses.

It's that building 90% sold or is it bust?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Old people make the biggest thugs. I got a @$$ whooping once from some old broad with a walker. I learned my lesson though.
    That old broad probably lived in Capitol Park long ago before you. But it was booted out by Gilberttown folks and cussing at rich folks today.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    So, "The Albert" is really the old Griswold Building [[it took nearly halfway through that video to figure that out). I thought that was supposed to be a seniors building? What did they do with all the old folks in order to make the building 'safe' for those pretty young people with herringbone parquet floors and quartz countertops?
    Just about two years ago. One of Dan Gibert's business ventures brought the Griswold Building. They wanted turn that building into to luxury condos so those poor senior citizens have 30 days to pack up and leave. Windgate Mgt. who owns several apt. buildings on Washington Blvd. allow them to stay. So did others relocated themselves to other apt units.

See folks that what it called gentrification in action!

FWIW, Danny, the buyer/owner of the Building is the Sachse folks from Birmingham, not Gilbert or one of his many subsidiaries.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...apartments.php

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    FWIW, Danny, the buyer/owner of the Building is the Sachse folks from Birmingham, not Gilbert or one of his many subsidiaries.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...apartments.php

One of their offices is in Downtown Detroit leased by Dan Gilbert and they recently joined their ventures. Corporations is not a solid entity. It a liquid entity.

They can trade a piece of blank white piece a paper for stocks and make a billion dollar profit or lose it.
    Last edited by Danny; March-13-14 at 10:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

...Corporations is not a solid entity. It a liquid entity...
    Corporations are people, too.

Out with the old, in with the new

Can't make an omelette if you don't break a few eggs

Sorry, I can't think of any other good ones right now.

The old Grand River bus line began in front of the building. Even in the eighties, I remember cutting between the buildings to get to Capital Park from Woodward, and looking up and seeing all the windows open, tattered shades and all, wondering "who lives here, and why can't they fix the screens?"

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    According to the spiffy video, the flooring is actually in a "chevron" pattern. Sort of like our Chevron gas signs out here in CA.

Who would own the footage shown at :36? That would be cool to see more of!

"THE BEAUTIFUL CANOPY" makes it worth it. It's not a bad move, really. The idea is to make Downtown Detroit Royal Oak 2, and they might just have a shot, which is a certain improvement over what existed before. If they're really going to help fix up Capitol Park, that alone is huge. That was probably the biggest mistake downtown since Hart Plaza. It's like someone knocked down the walls and tore the roof off of an outdated Greyhound Station and deemed it a public space.

The displacement of the senior citizens is actually a further argument for home ownership. When you don't own your home, the actual owner can rightfully make you leave when your tenancy no longer suits their interests, pursuant to the terms of the contract. Locating income-challenged individuals downtown, where it has been hoped for 40 years that a rebound would occur, was also bad planning. Should the rebound occur [[which it is), it provides incentives for the property owners to put out the existing tenants for ones who can spend more money. The fault lies not with the property owners who want to make money [[as does everyone in the city of Detroit, including the posters on this board), but rather with A) poorly planned housing policy and B) people who made life choices that did not put control of their later years in their own hands. Thankfully, no one has been rendered homeless by this situation. But renting is never more than temporary. I can't fathom how it is an unpleasant surprise that temporary comes to an end.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    It's like someone knocked down the walls and tore the roof off of an outdated Greyhound Station and deemed it a public space.
    I think I am in the minority, but I kinda like the look and feel of Capitol Park. Yes, it's a little short of beautiful green space. But it is also thankfully much less full of panhandlers and pigeons than it used to be. And I think it was not intended to be a garden for the neighborhood so much as a patio. And when the surrounding buildings are reno'd and filled up, it will serve that purpose. I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I think I am in the minority, but I kinda like the look and feel of Capitol Park. Yes, it's a little short of beautiful green space. But it is also thankfully much less full of panhandlers and pigeons than it used to be. And I think it was not intended to be a garden for the neighborhood so much as a patio. And when the surrounding buildings are reno'd and filled up, it will serve that purpose. I like it.
    I agree - I think Capitol Park is a nice little area. It has a interesting unique feel and is well defined as a distinct space.

I disagree somewhat on your point that the Griswold having been senior housing was a bad move. At the time, other buildings were being left vacant, so I'm not sure there was a better option. However, for the recent residents the timing was definitely working against them, and I'm sure having to move was a hardship for many. It certainly is nicer to see vacant buildings rehabbed as opposed to occupied ones being improved. Now if only the vacant buildings around the park would see some action.

There's no reason to think that many of the residents hadn't been homeowners when they were younger. Not every senior can or should be living in a single family home.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; March-13-14 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Corporations are people, too.

By owning capital property by means of liquidity from stocks, bonds and dividends. They turn properties and products into profits, compete for locations and bust small businesses and other environmental concerns out of their way.

Hey! Hey! Hey!
    Oh wait - Fat Albert and the Cosby kids are low income people that are being gentrified out of the market by rich yuppies.

I have a couple comments on this since I've been reading some outrage on other sites about displacing seniors.

1. No renter is ever guaranteed reasonable rent unless you are in some rent controlled city, but those are few and have loopholes

2. Gentrification is only the beginning in neighborhood desirability. Eventually values go up so high that all those renovated apartment buildings and trendy warehouse lofts get demolished for soaring 1000 foot glass towers inhabited by millionaires. So yes, even young professionals get displaced when their rent jumps from $1000 / month to $1500

3. I have yet to see evidence that an aging building provided the proper conditions and care for aging tenants. Conditions may have been fine or maybe they could have been better, please inform me. But a lot, I mean ALOT has changed in codes and design for senior housing. Was it best to let this facility continue operating or time to draw a line and prepare a building for a more useful life?

4. Is Capitol park a proper location for seniors? Are their needs met? Close enough to hospitals and clinics? Close enough to churches and rec halls? Convenient for loved ones to visit? Maybe this building didn't provide it. So maybe it better meets the needs of a young population that really doesn't expect their taxes to work very hard for them.

5. Is this good for the building and the future of Detroit's core? Yes, young people spend lots of money on dining, shopping and entertainment and this building needed a new purpose to continue its existence for another 100 years.

I like it! Thumbs Up! Keep it coming!

I largely think Wolverine is spot on. Downtowns- especially ones that didn't have amenities to speak of- were not a good location for senior housing to begin with. Add to that dense urban areas are more unpredictable in terms of neighborhood conditions and property values and you are setting people up to need to be moved later on. From the perspective of developing downtown [[as opposed to the p.o.v. of housing seniors), seniors tend not to be big spenders [[even when they have money) at neighborhood stores, bars, and restaurants. So as building space becomes more scarce and more expensive, it doesn't make sense for anybody to keep seniors housed downtown. Obviously, not every senior has their living arrangements planned for them, and can lease or buy downtown or elsewhere like anybody else. But where someone is making decisions for others, Capitol Park isn't now an ideal location, if it ever was.

Awesome video. Love the amenities. Score one for Capitol Park coming back. Can't wait to see what that area will look like 12 months from now.

If only Ted's hadn't closed. I may never get over that.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    4. Is Capitol park a proper location for seniors? Are their needs met? Close enough to hospitals and clinics? Close enough to churches and rec halls? Convenient for loved ones to visit? Maybe this building didn't provide it. So maybe it better meets the needs of a young population that really doesn't expect their taxes to work very hard for them.
    A block from here is St Al's. I've attended service there and it is chock-full of old folks. DMC has a clinic in Compuware and there are still lots of larger medical services at the Medical Center and Henry Ford, a short cab ride away. St. Al's operates a community center that provides a clinic too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast