Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Kids to pitch new ideas for old depot

It warms my heart to see kids are more interested in figuring out ways to preserve our city's history and explore new opportuinities than our leaders in charge. On the other hand, it saddens me to know it takes a child to prove how idiotic the politicians in this area really are. http://www.freep.com/article/2009072...-for-old-depot
    The Detroit City Council is to hear from Earhart Middle School sixth-graders today as to why the Michigan Central Station should be saved, not demolished.The students are to give a PowerPoint presentation, complete with their ideas for floor plans.

MIRepublic Guest

Let's be clear; this was almost certainly an assignment not thought up by the students, but by a teacher. It's good to see, nonetheless, but let's not pretend that it's something it's not, or take away from the folks and organizations that have been trying to get the owner to do something with the building for years, now.

Retroit Guest

Kind of sad that the kids are more culturally aware than the Shitty Clownshow.

Marcos Valdez, 12, said he wanted the train station to reopen so it could benefit him in the future. "I was thinking about making it into a military training facility," he said.

I love our military and understand from this he might go into the military, but it sounds like this kid has read too much 1984. It would be weird to have a military base in the middle of a city.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Marcos Valdez, 12, said he wanted the train station to reopen so it could benefit him in the future. "I was thinking about making it into a military training facility," he said.

I love our military and understand from this he might go into the military, but it sounds like this kid has read too much 1984. It would be weird to have a military base in the middle of a city.
    More likely that the kid's teacher mentioned the much-ballyhooed federal homeland security campus scheme and just altered it slightly.

Although it would be handy location if we ever need to launch a war against Windsor. Or Livonia.

Retroit Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    It would be weird to have a military base in the middle of a city.
    Maybe because we are not used to it, but a lot of cities have military bases as their primary "industry". Considering that the military is planning to increase the size of the military [[ http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090716/...sswWqvljZ0fNdF ), this may not be such a bad idea. The tower could be used for barracks, the lobby could be used as a mess hall, Roosevelt Park could be used as parade grounds, the railroad tracks could be used as railroad tracks,...

Nah, increasing military presence in this city would not be good, overall.

Not one whit. Nada. Zilch.

We need to go the OTHER way, and fight this increasing militarization of our world...there is no need to be even bigger.

Unless someone is planning to invade the world...and subjugate everyone who dares remain civilian in some sort of internment.

THEN we'll be fully into Orwell's Warning...

I wonder what the acoustics would be like in the MCS for staging music events? I know it's all hard surfaces, so it might mix sound into mush. Or, with its cavernous central area, perhaps it can generate sound waves that really pound you. [[The "Marshall stack" approach...). In any case, it's great that kids are given a real-life focal point to ponder and come up with solutions. MCS deserves to survive.

MCS techno rave with 20kw audio. Probably loosen the plaster.

Matty should sell it to the city, the city should grant it to an artists collective, and let them use it as a giant sculpture/canvas/event space, and occassionally rent it out to Hollywood as a film location. My $.02. I think the kids would agree.