Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Snyder: bring 50000 immigrants to Detroit

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...&mg=reno64-wsj

How do you prevent them from escaping??

Seems like great idea to me. Immigrants built much of industrial Detroit. Let's do it again.

One look at Dearborn tells you how much immigrants can contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    How do you prevent them from escaping??
    Make sure they don't have any access to Snow shovels.

a republican WANTS immigrants?? whaaaaaaaaat.

This is where Mr. Snyder's plan would help. The Republican has proposed assigning 50,000 EB-2 visas [[i.e., employer-based green cards) over five years to high-skilled immigrants who volunteer to work and live in Detroit. He also suggests giving these immigrants a "national interest waiver" that allows them to bypass Department of Labor certification. This would reduce the bureaucratic headaches and attorneys' fees of employing foreign workers.

huh, i actually agree. this is probably the only way you're going to get 50,000 people to move into detroit.

One obstacle is that the feds cap EB-2s at 40,000 per year. Assigning 10,000 of those each year to Detroit would run into objections in Silicon Valley. Quotas also limit each foreign country to a maximum of 2,800 EB-2s, so Indian engineers who want to work at a Detroit tech startup could have to wait over a decade for a green card. The EB-2 backlog is five years for Chinese applicants and nearly 10 years for Indians.

doubt snyder has the pull to pull it off. but obama could bail out detroit with this plan.

The Obama Administration could help Detroit right away by issuing the national interest waivers even with the quotas.

i really should finish reading before

But Congress could help even more by lifting the green-card limits for high-skilled foreigners. Mr. Snyder is showing the way for the GOP by promoting the economic benefits of immigration across his state, but especially for depressed communities like Detroit where unemployment is 14.6% and more than 40% of residents live in poverty.

Republicans in Congress would be smart to run with Mr. Snyder's idea by proposing a special green card for all foreigners—not merely those with advanced degrees—willing to live and work in areas with high poverty. Such a plan would be based loosely on Jack Kemp's "enterprise zones." Immigrants have helped to revive major cities like New York City, Chicago and Boston, and they could do the same for Detroit.

hahaha, congress helping? not going to happen.
    snyder cant even get the michigan state republicans to fix michigan roads. hows he going to get national republicans to fix detroit?

imagine 50,000 skilled labor moved into detroit, it would either send unemployment through the roof or make silicon valley move to detroit.

invent 50,000 jobs? in michigan? in detroit? what IS gov snyder smoking?

Yes this was previously discussed here:Lansing's Plan For Immigration And Detroit?

But I am interested in your take BankruptcyGuy.

the state legislature won't go for it. The more "reactionary" activist types in Detroit won't go for it. Look for city hall meetings to explode.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post

...this is probably the only way you're going to get 50,000 people to move into detroit.
    Can anyone show me where it says move into city of Detroit?

The stated requirement is likely to be "Metro-Detroit" which could just as easily be Warren/Sterling Heights, Novi, or one of the Bloomfields... I'm OK with improving the Michigan economy, but all you Detroit means within the city limits folks better call Snyder...

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    Can anyone show me where it says move into city of Detroit?

The stated requirement is likely to be "Metro-Detroit" which could just as easily be Warren/Sterling Heights, Novi, or one of the Bloomfields... I'm OK with improving the Michigan economy, but all you Detroit means within the city limits folks better call Snyder...
    I have the same questions and concerns. Your point about "Metro-Detroit" is valid. Even further, what's to stop someone with the right credentials accepting a job in Silicon Valley? They'd be using this entry as a stepping stone.

I thought the aim of the scheme was to bring suitably qualified immigrants into the City of Detroit who would start up small [[or large) businesses to employ themselves and provide jobs for Detroiters. There would have to be conditions attached to these visas that ensured the immigrants could/would not disappear into some other area for at least a set time - like cancelling their visas.
    It's a "clever" idea that won't work for many reasons; not the least of which is monitoring it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    the state legislature won't go for it. The more "reactionary" activist types in Detroit won't go for it. Look for city hall meetings to explode.
    As long as Orr is in charge, what the activists think is irrelevant.

[[not that I'm a fan of this proposal)

Synder, the Nerd wants to bring 50,000 immigrants to Detroit.

Where they are going to live? Dexter and Davison ghettohood

Where they get jobs? Working at Ford Motor Plant.

They got to be some catch.

The answer to these questions is got poor black folks out of their hoods and make Detroit diverse as possible.

My take is that the lack of first-generation immigrants is singularly the biggest failing of Detroit compared to other cities. [[Reasonable people can differ as to WHY that happened--there are many causes.)

Drive to the southwest side of Chicago. It has older homes, like Detroit. It's got crime. It's got poor schools. But it's got plenty of residents for whom this is there first time in the United States, and where they come, the poverty, housing stock, crime and schools don't compare so poorly to from whence they came.

I would absolutely love it if this could take place. I wouldn't hold my breath, especially in an election year. Immigration is a wedge issue that really divides the business Republicans [[very, very pro this idea, because they often can't find competent help) and the xenophobe-Ann Coulter types.

Thanks BankruptcyGuy... this does seem however to be unworkable on so many levels. We'd almost have to tether them to keep them in the city.

So what do we do... get people from Somalia, Syria, Myammar, Venezuela, and other troublesome places to move here... so that they'll think that Detroit will be like a little slice of heaven compared to back home?

Yes, bring them all to Detroit to work for $10.00 per hr. We can re-create what Henry Ford did in the 20's and 30's.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Yes, bring them all to Detroit to work for $10.00 per hr. We can re-create what Henry Ford did in the 20's and 30's.
    The problem is "We" CANNOT re-create what Henry Ford did in the 20's and 30's. "We" are not capable of doing it. The immigrants are needed to do it for us. That's the theory anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Thanks BankruptcyGuy... this does seem however to be unworkable on so many levels. We'd almost have to tether them to keep them in the city.

So what do we do... get people from Somalia, Syria, Myammar, Venezuela, and other troublesome places to move here... so that they'll think that Detroit will be like a little slice of heaven compared to back home?
    Yes, bring some Salvadorians in and Detroit will have a MS-13 problem.

This is just another iteration of the Shack and a Shotgun Plan, which I proposed to attract immigrants in 1999.

This is already happening. They move to Hamtramck and then to Warren, and then to Sterling Heights. Why would you live in Detroit when you can live [[usually more cheaply) in an enclave of Detroit that, if not glamorous, is far safer and less blighted? Then you make some cash and move to the 'burbs.

The problem with Detroit is that it makes no economic sense to live here. Taxes are the highest in the state, the schools are among the worst, the crime is among the worst, public transportation is poor, and the jobs don't exist. Now, I live here because I like old houses and the social scene. Generally low-income immigrants don't give a shit about that.

Most of you have your history wrong. There was a labor shortage at the turn of the last century, so immigrants and migrants were paid an attractive wage to live and work here. They didn't come here and start magically shitting out jobs. They earned money in American industries, and then had capital to start businesses and create more jobs, buy houses, cars, all that good crap.

With Michgan's unemployment rate remaining stubbornly high [[Thanks Snyder!) why would I, as an immigrant, move here, unless I had family here? If I didn't wouldn't I move where they already live here [[i.e. Hamtramck) where I can live in a normal neighborhood in a normal house, not a penthouse, urban farm, or giant Tudor mansion?

Poobert, Snyder wants to spread some of that Mexicantown and East Dearborn magic across the city. That's what people think of when they imagine immigrants saving Detroit. Yet it's been shown that not even the ethnic enclaves are immune to Detroit's problems. The original "Mexicantown", closer to Grand Boulevard, is showing serious signs of decay, as is Warrendale, the original home of the west side's Arab population. And let's not forget Chaldeantown near 7 & Woodward, now basically gone, replaced by a very healthy business district near 14 & Ryan.

If anything, I've been noticing more immigrants flocking to South Warren and other struggling inner ring burbs. It's easier to sustain development there.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    Poobert, Snyder wants to spread some of that Mexicantown and East Dearborn magic across the city. That's what people think of when they imagine immigrants saving Detroit. Yet it's been shown that not even the ethnic enclaves are immune to Detroit's problems. The original "Mexicantown", closer to Grand Boulevard, is showing serious signs of decay, as is Warrendale, the original home of the west side's Arab population. And let's not forget Chaldeantown near 7 & Woodward, now basically gone, replaced by a very healthy business district near 14 & Ryan.

If anything, I've been noticing more immigrants flocking to South Warren and other struggling inner ring burbs. It's easier to sustain development there.
    These ethnic communities are doing just want their predecessors did. Poles from Hamtramck to Warren. Italians from east side to Roseville, E. Detroit.

The bankruptcy makes reversing this trend possible. If our city council and mayor consolidate those gains and can provide good services, they will stay. If they get the same crap treatment they have in the last few decades, then they'll flee to better areas as quickly as they can afford to.

I really do hope that we elect leaders who focus on nothing but efficient government -- and delivering basic services. No more human rights departments. Important for sure. But not the city's job. No more residency rules. Just good workers. No more preferred contracts to city firms. Just good contracts at good prices. No more Executive Order 22's requiring black, women, and city residents to work on city-funded projects. No fights to return to residency for city workers.

Stop using the city for social policy. Be a city. Be a good city.

I sure would like to city a diverse, Detroit-based workforce on city tab. But its far less important that just doing a good job and keeping favoritism out of the city. There'll be time for all that good stuff once we have enough cash to pay retirees all their money. And we'll never get there if we start up the favoritism machine ala yesterday's Detroit and today's Wayne County.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch
    The bankruptcy makes reversing this trend possible.

The idea that bankruptcy is a definite positive for Detroit strikes me as naive. In the long run, all bankruptcy actually does it make it harder for Detroit to borrow money. Any positive effects you might associate with bankruptcy are changes we could've made and made more effectively had Detroit not been forced to declare bankruptcy.

The truth is that people are secretly hoping that bankruptcy has destroyed the black power structure in Detroit. Don't lie - that's what most people in the metro area hope, even if they won't say it out loud. The thought is Detroit will get more white investment after the bankruptcy. Maybe. But it's still a stupid way to go about business.

Quote Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
    The truth is that people are secretly hoping that bankruptcy has destroyed the black power structure in Detroit. Don't lie - that's what most people in the metro area hope, even if they won't say it out loud.
    [/COLOR]
    That is truth though, if we're being honest.

Mike Duggan riding in to the rescue didn't happen until AFTER the consent agreement was signed. It was no coincidence.

Yeah, but Duggan is from the Ficano machine. He's all hype. How is he going to be so different from what we've had before [[Kwame was a one-off)? Race is irrelevant. Chicago has had some really bad white mayors in its recent history. Bad is bad. Look at Warren. White power structure and almost as corrupt as Detroit.

It's unfortunate people around here are so blinded by race that they think Duggan is a major change.
    Last edited by nain rouge; March-13-14 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    The problem is "We" CANNOT re-create what Henry Ford did in the 20's and 30's. "We" are not capable of doing it. The immigrants are needed to do it for us. That's the theory anyway.
    I was being sarcastic or didn't you notice? I'm fully aware of that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast