Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Slate. com - Old Detroit in Stunning B/W Photographs

Today's Slate.com has an interesting article about the work of Bill Rauhauser who was named the Kresge Eminent Artist for 2014.

Name:  Rauhauser_Kresge File_2.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg
Views: 1227
Size:  37.9 KB

http://www.slate.com/blogs/behold/20...and_white.html

http://www.billrauhauser.com/photographs.html

Great stuff! I knew some folks who studied under Bill at CCS. He could be tough, but was also extremely supportive of those who were interested and willing to work hard.

I love this one of a nun and friend in front of the infamous Stone Burlesk:

I would guess that the nun was a Carmelite from Carmel Hall [[the former Detroiter/LaSalle/Savoy Hotel) old folks home, which was right across Woodward.

This is fantastic, thanks so much for the link!

The top picture in this thread is from the Kresge Court of the DIA. I remember those days well as it was one of my hang outs -- wrought iron marble-top tables and chairs, a majestic flagstone floor and, ugh, smoking permitted - of which I was then guilty [smoking was also permitted in the Rivera Court too!].

Lots has changed since that picture, me included, but that vision of a beautiful woman frozen in time is eternal.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    ...I would guess that the nun was a Carmelite from Carmel Hall [[the former Detroiter/LaSalle/Savoy Hotel) old folks home, which was right across Woodward.
    The place where the Purple Gang murdered Jerry Buckley in 1930.