Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Trumpet stolen from jazz master Marcus Belgrave

He's part of the rhythm and soul of Detroit. Longtime jazz musician Marcus Belgrave is heartbroken after a thief stole his one-of-a kind trumpet. It's not just his instrument, it's the way he earns a living.

"I went to the trunk and I opened trunk up and said, 'This can't be real,'" Belgrave's wife told Fox 2. "So I closed it back again and I opened it again and said, 'Your horn is gone, how is your horn gone?!'"

It happened after Belgrave's performance Friday night at Cliff Bells in Detroit. He and his wife Joan went to Bert's at Eastern Market to hang out afterwards and that's where the rare custom-made horn was stolen The low key jazz star has played all over the world and played with the best of them from Motown's finest to Ray Charles. He's the last living member of Charles' original seven piece band. He's also worked with Ella Fitzgerald, Tony Bennett, Sammy Davis Jr. and Dizzy Gillespie to name a few.

The trumpet, made of copper, helps Belgrave create his signature sound. He says he won't press charges and may even give a reward if his trumpet is returned.

Read more: http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/24...#ixzz2vRNoSWGK

If you watch the video the part about the trunk sounds odd, no mention of it being broken into, so how was it just "gone" from a locked car/trunk? Could it have gotten left behind at Cliff Bells?
    Maybe we'll all get lucky and the local scrapyard operator will do the right thing and return it after it's sold to him mixed in with some copper pipes...

Stealing a musician's axe is pretty low. I hope he gets it back.

Goodness these thieves will steal anything! They have a full justification for it too: 'well dude had it in the trunk'. Sad.....

Its copper he better check the scrap dealers on Monday!

Someone knows who did this. Someone else will give the thief money, knowing it is stolen. Just another day in this mean little town.
    Last edited by Bobl; March-09-14 at 03:01 PM. Reason: sp

Yay!!! It's been found!!!

Trumpet stolen from jazz artist Marcus Belgrave surfaces at Detroit pawn shop

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2014303120087

That thief certainly didn't travel very far. Figures it would show up at Zeidman's.

Glad Marcus will get it back though. As you can see in the photos, that's a pretty nice horn.

Sucks he might have to pay $350 to get it back. That's just wrong. No one denies it's his property.

This is my experience getting something back from a pawn which was stolen but first I'm glad the horn was found. When I first saw this thread my first thought was to check Als Pawn and Ziedmans who are closest to Eastern Market where it was stolen. Anyone with half a brain isn't going to take a beautiful piece like that to a scrap yard for brass prices of under $2 a pound.
    Ive had experience retrieving stolen goods from local pawns [[not The Z but close) and even with a police report they wouldn't give it up without paying $200, police did nothing to look for the thieves that broke into our home and stole two laptops, TV and Stereo, all new. We had to pay the pawn to get our laptop back and Im almost positive they had the other one and probably the rest of our stuff. Im sure with the publicity Ziedmans will wave the costs.
    The stolen horn was a rather high profile case which is probably the only reason he got it back and of course Im glad Mr. Belgrave did but everyday Joes have little recourse. The only reason I was able to get one of our laptops back was that I played a regular customer and went in to a pawn and asked to buy a Gateway laptop and sure enough they brought up our laptop to look at complete with pictures of our dogs on the desktop. When they realized it was my laptop and I was probably on the phone with the police one of the employees quickly walked out the door with a laptop bag and placed it in his car and came back inside. Im pretty sure that was our other laptop the Mac but we never saw that one again. The police said they could do nothing and we had to pay the $200 to get the Gateway back even though we had a police report to prove it was stolen.
    I hope this can somehow help someone in the future but in fact I was pretty lucky to find that one stolen computer.

I've purchased a few jewelry items, etc from the Z and they can be cool, but they are a turnstile for stolen things. That's the nature of the business - stolen things hocked.

Zeidman's would do well to waive the fee. However, to their mind if they do it for Belgrave they have to do it for everyone. Crime does pay, and pay and PAY, it seems.

Maybe they will give him a discount discreetly. I am so glad Belgrave's horn was found.

I just heard on WWJ radio that they waived the $350 fee. Good job.
    Last edited by Jimaz; March-12-14 at 10:25 PM.

its illegal to sell or even posess stolen property.
    it would be illegal for them to charge anything to belgrave.

a police report is nothing to wave at a guy in the store. you either get a cop or a court order to retrieve your property. but yeah if they hide it you are screwed...
    Last edited by compn; March-12-14 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I've purchased a few jewelry items, etc from the Z and they can be cool, but they are a turnstile for stolen things.
    That's kind of putting it nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by compn
    its illegal to sell or even possess stolen property.
    it would be illegal for them to charge anything to belgrave.

a police report is nothing to wave at a guy in the store. you either get a cop or a court order to retrieve your property. but yeah if they hide it you are screwed...
    Hahahaha... try doing that in Detroit. All the experiences that I and anyone I've ever known here has had with stolen items that turn up in pawn shops have been much more like Django's. It's a struggle to get anything back. And some places, like Z's, specialize in "relationships" that help to make things "disappear."