Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Can't We All Get Along?

Please Note that this thread has been move to Detroit Connections as it is about the forum, not directly about Detroit:
    Detroit Connections
    For relaxed discussions among DetroitYES forum members, making connections, call outs to forum members, and discussions about the forum.
    I have enjoyed this forum for quite a while, and have learned a lot here, but there seems to be more sniping and attempts at belittling of other members' opinions and posts, recently.
    I don't have statistics, and this is anecdotal, but have other members noticed this?
    Lowell has provided a way to exchange ideas, offer opinions, and report news of events. Surely we can do this with more respect.
    Comments?
    Last edited by Bobl; March-07-14 at 11:22 PM.

I thought it was a lot worse about 6 or 9 months ago. Seems like it's a bit more civil recently, but yeah, I'll try to be nice. Seems to fluctuate with the economy.

old guy: I think the Belle Isle thread got to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobl View Post
    old guy: I think the Belle Isle thread got to me.
    It was the peeing in the streets when I almost turned off.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Now you went a did it old guy, I juxtapose one word in your post and I'm gonna be jammin' to Motown for the rest of the day.

Lord do I love this music, every once in while I will OD on it. I wonder why...

Last edited by Dan Wesson; March-08-14 at 03:05 AM.

There you go, we can all agree on some things.

There you go, we can all agree on some things.
    Yes we can, Yes we can...

We may have to take into consideration, the social faux pas of the young'uns and cut 'em a small amount of slack, on account of their youth and all.
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; March-08-14 at 08:19 PM.

Midtown's a cesspool.

I've noticed folks in general are more irritable just from the relentless snow and cold — and potholes. If that's the cause then it should be letting up soon.

There are some posters that attack people, and not ideas, but for the most part people are passionate but respectful.

Some of the people I butt-heads with the most are the people I enjoy reading the most.

This forum is pretty tame compared to other forums.

I agree about the snow and cold affecting the moods around here...

This Youtube video reminded me of the group... with issues such as urban living, public transportation, graffiti, and dealing with strangers... all shown... but in a funny way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7f4Vv9ubKs

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    This forum is pretty tame compared to other forums.
    I agree. I think the internet gives people the chance to say what they really want to say to other people in person, but know they better not if they don't want to get their lip split wide open.

To quote President Obama:
    R - S - P - E - C - T

To misquote old guy and Honkey Tonk:
    r - e - s - "P" - e - c - t

It seems this forum took a turn for the worse about the time the servers changed and we had to sign up again. At that time we lost a few of my favorite posters and I know some others that just gave up due to the negativity, name calling, etc. True, many other forums are much worse. I still get a lot of good info here and there are some great posters. So this is still a great forum. Now, if people would just use there damn turn signals...

Quote Originally Posted by Downriviera View Post
    It seems this forum took a turn for the worse about the time the servers changed and we had to sign up again. At that time we lost a few of my favorite posters and I know some others that just gave up due to the negativity, name calling, etc. True, many other forums are much worse. I still get a lot of good info here and there are some great posters. So this is still a great forum. Now, if people would just use there damn turn signals...
    Turn signals? Now you've hit one of my hot buttons.

Here in San Francisco, people do not seem to use their turn signals until they actually start to turn. The concept of signaling to indicate that you intend to turn at the next intersection seems to be unknown. People will stop at a red light, and not activate the turn signal until the light turns green and they move into the intersection and want to turn left. Of course, by then you're often stuck behind them and its difficult to move to the right to get around. Just one of my pet peeves.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Turn signals? Now you've hit one of my hot buttons.

Here in San Francisco, people do not seem to use their turn signals until they actually start to turn. The concept of signaling to indicate that you intend to turn at the next intersection seems to be unknown. People will stop at a red light, and not activate the turn signal until the light turns green and they move into the intersection and want to turn left. Of course, by then you're often stuck behind them and its difficult to move to the right to get around. Just one of my pet peeves.
    Are you absolutely sure you're in San Francisco and NOT in Detroit???

Civility and respect of other members are at the core of having meaningful and informative discussions, and 99% of the posts are. We maintain a strict policy on personal attacks, cited clearly in our FAQ and agreed to by all who register as members.

We rely upon and appreciate you as members calling to our attention violations using the report post icon [little icon] that appears below every post. There is no way we can monitor all that goes on nor always stamp our fires before they spread into a downward cycle of hit backs.

So please continue to do that. Also please be understanding that we clean out ALL posts in context to personal attacks even though many may be benign, such as chastising the offenders. Let us deal with them.

Remember too, this isn't Harvard, this isn't Oxford. All who register are admitted and we have members of varying opinions, degrees of knowledge and enthusiasm / pessimism. Please be be respectful of those who may not know as much as you do. Over the years we have seen many arrive young and brash and grow in knowledge and wisdom. Give all a chance. Be a mentor not a hector. We were all children and newbies once.

Thanks.

I still miss BlkSoul_X.

Also Jabba,TheRock and the master grumpster: Ravine.

^^^^
    What Gnome says!!

I've only been posting since 2008. But I also miss a great number of people that aren't around anymore. Great conversations and I've actually changed my opinion on a number of things that other people have brought to light here. Things that I was sure I knew how life was supposed to function, but after reading what others had to say, sat back, gave it some consideration and realized that maybe I could learn a lesson from other peoples points of views. I've learned a lot on this forum and consider it a great asset.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    I still miss BlkSoul_X.

Also Jabba,TheRock and the master grumpster: Ravine.
    Don't forget Cheddar Bob

And don't forget yourselves. Everyone who has posted on this thread has added great discussion and invaluable information to the forum. Old Guy's awesome Vintage Detroit Beers is just one such current example.

95% of what I know about Detroit, I learned from you and the rest of the forum over the past 15 years.

I've only been posting since 2008. But I also miss a great number of people that aren't around anymore. Great conversations and I've actually changed my opinion on a number of things that other people have brought to light here. Things that I was sure I knew how life was supposed to function, but after reading what others had to say, sat back, gave it some consideration and realized that maybe I could learn a lesson from other peoples points of views. I've learned a lot on this forum and consider it a great asset.
    I totally agree with what the Old Guy said. I myself came here posting my opinions and feelings and often had my ass gently kicked until I saw the error of my ways and then made some changes to my own thinking and even lifestyle. Today if I posted an unpopular thought or idea I could expect to be berated.
    I always liked writing what I felt here because responses to my posts followed Lowells civility, it was like a family.
    I'm not the sharpest spoon in the toolbox, I've learned a lot here and want to keep learning in a family kind of way.

Rasputin was the man. He is missed.

Eriedearie and John Lodge

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast