Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Annual Lenten Fish Fry Thread

I found this schedule, and thought I'd share..... There are several Churches offering Lenten Fish Fry Dinners.

http://detroitchurchblog.blogspot.co...cross-and.html

Any experience with the fish fry options? I'd love to try a few around here. Looks like most of them are over pretty early though

St. Francis of Assisi on Wesson at Buchanan. North of Michigan, east of Livernois.

the fish is great and the atmosphere is greater.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    St. Francis of Assisi on Wesson at Buchanan. North of Michigan, east of Livernois.

the fish is great and the atmosphere is greater.
    The link says that ends at 6 p.m... is that correct?

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    The link says that ends at 6 p.m... is that correct?
    That's correct. I believe Sweetest Heart Of Mary runs a bit later. Gnome is absolutely right about St. Francis, though. I plan on being there for the gala opening event.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    That's correct. I believe Sweetest Heart Of Mary runs a bit later. Gnome is absolutely right about St. Francis, though. I plan on being there for the gala opening event.
    SHoM runs until 8 PM, but be warned - the place is always jammed. I don't know if I've ever been without having to wait in line out on the steps.

Oh HT, I thought about starting this thread myself, but didn't get to it. Anyway, here's a bunch from the Michigan Catholic.
    http://themichigancatholic.com/wp-co...ctory-2014.pdf

If your favorite doesn't appear there, they may haven't chosen to take an ad in this paper. Call the church to confirm, for example, St. Francis D' Assisi isn't in the paper, but I know they have it.
    Last edited by jackie5275; March-05-14 at 10:24 PM.

Not a church but Arianas on Jefferson near downtown has great fish & chips. Drove around on Ash Wednesday looking for a service, none to be found. I would like to say a kind word for Messiah church on the Blvd. We saw some cars in the lot and they were kind enough to let us into the sanctuary to say a few personal prayers.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    Not a church but Arianas on Jefferson near downtown has great fish & chips. Drove around on Ash Wednesday looking for a service, none to be found. I would like to say a kind word for Messiah church on the Blvd. We saw some cars in the lot and they were kind enough to let us into the sanctuary to say a few personal prayers.
    It's a shame some ass-clown defaced their sign out front. [[Messiah, not Arianas) Jesus too, a few years back, disapeared from his crucifix. Luckily, either the scrapyard, or the scrapper, [[can't rememebr which) had a heart and returned him.

It's a shame some ass-clown defaced their sign out front. [[Messiah, not Arianas) Jesus too, a few years back, disapeared from his crucifix. Luckily, either the scrapyard, or the scrapper, [[can't rememebr which) had a heart and returned him.
    A scrapper stole the plaster cast Jesus and dumped it in an alley when they found out it was just Guilt painted plaster. The church retrieved and repaired it. It is plain gross that idiots would deface a church symbol. I embrace all religions that embrace peace and love.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    A scrapper stole the plaster cast Jesus and dumped it in an alley when they found out it was just Guilt painted plaster. The church retrieved and repaired it. It is plain gross that idiots would deface a church symbol. I embrace all religions that embrace peace and love.
    Thanx for setting me straight, I sit corrected.....

The fish dinners from Sweetest Heart of Mary parish were very good, according to Hypestyle's mom [[alas, I have violent allergies to seafood, and cannot verify this myself; I even had to roll down the windows on the drive back home, the otherwise enticing aroma was irritating my throat). The parish hall where I picked up the carry out was full of folks who were having sit-down dinners.

After experiencing an incredibly long line, the bride and I bailed and went to Scotty Simpson's.

Busy but waitable. Excellent as well.

We stepped out of our regular rotation this year & tried Our Lady of the Scapular, formerly known as Our Lady of Mt. Carmel in Wyandotte this weekend. We were quite disappointed. The cod was cut into fish stick size & was incredibly greasy. You got 3 fish sticks. The pierogi was store bought, not that it's bad, but I was expecting parish made considering this is a traditional Polish parish. They had run out of bread. The dill pickle soup was decent, but not enough to persuade me to go back again. I'll be back at St. Francis d'Assissi this Friday.

NOBODY does Lenten fish fries like DETROIT!

If fried food isn't your dish, the Gaelic League is also baking fish. Runs til 8:00.
    2068 Michigan Ave. - west of Nemo's, east of Slow's

I had intended to visit St. Francis of Assisi last friday, but the back-up on the I-75 to the Davison exit caused me to balk and try the I-94 exit...which was backed up even further.

We ditched the St. Francis plan as the traffic delay would have likely caused us to miss the dinner...and headed to Sweetest Heart of Mary. Got there about 5:50 pm and there was no crowd. Filled out our menu cards, paid, and was waiting upstairs for our dinners for about 5 minutes.

Was kinda surprised how un-crowded it was. Got an informal tour and history of the church from a well-connected parishioner. What a beautiful place !

C

Good point. One thing no one's brought are how beautifully ornate some of these "old school" churches are. If they happen to be open, poke your heads inside of St. Francis of Assisi church, "they don't build them like they used to". It's spectacular.

Good point. One thing no one's brought are how beautifully ornate some of these "old school" churches are. If they happen to be open, poke your heads inside of St. Francis of Assisi church, "they don't build them like they used to". It's spectacular.
    We'll get there before this lenten season is over. Those are magnificent buildings.

There really should be a way to get the really historical churches some additional exposure...and funding to keep them vibrant.

My wife and I attended mass at Sweetest Heart over the summer...just to see the inside of the church in daylight. The sunshine through the magnificent massive stained glass was spectacular. It was quite a treat. We intend to do more of the church-touring this summer. We'll peek our heads into the St. Francis church when we get there.

Quote Originally Posted by jackie5275 View Post
    We stepped out of our regular rotation this year & tried Our Lady of the Scapular, formerly known as Our Lady of Mt. Carmel in Wyandotte this weekend. We were quite disappointed. The cod was cut into fish stick size & was incredibly greasy. You got 3 fish sticks. The pierogi was store bought, not that it's bad, but I was expecting parish made considering this is a traditional Polish parish. They had run out of bread. The dill pickle soup was decent, but not enough to persuade me to go back again. I'll be back at St. Francis d'Assissi this Friday.
    Even though this is our parish we always avoided the fish fry. Frozen fish should never have been part of a fry and this year with the new pastor, they went with fresh fish. Better than before, but not as good as St. Francis and the others we go to.
    [[Good choice of desserts though).

St. Mary Magdelen /St Justin in Hazel Park always seem to have good fish dinners. The combination of the parishes means that St. Justin is not having one, but will have one at SMM at Woodward Heights and John R.

NOBODY does Lenten fish fries like DETROIT!
    Well, Milwaukee does. Fish fries are arguably an even bigger part of the culture there. And I'm sure countless other places with a preponderance of Catholics do too.

Joe Muer Seafood has the best seafood I've ever had. Not sure that counts as "fasting and abstinence" though...

Missed Sweetest Heart's fish fry this past week; however, I heard it was quite a disappointment not only by the size of the crowd, but also the quality of the food. There is a new pastor [[and a deacon who seems to have taken over) there and many changes have been going on [[some, not for the better). From what I understand, the "old-timers" are not taking change too kindly. With that being said, I wasn't there Friday, so I can't give my true assessment, but it would be a shame if the quality/crowd were subpar knowing how good they have been in the past.

+1 on what Gnome and Honky Tonk said about St Francis fish fry. I was there for the opening at 11am last Friday as usual. Excellent as usual. The people and the atmosphere also really make half of it for me. I was disappionted and saddened to hear that one of my favorite old ladies who collected your money when you walked in passed away, and that the "pop man" with his cart can no longer help due to health issues wasn't there either. I will still support St. Francis and their dedicated bunch. Plus, I have a hard time concentrating when I go there for mass...the church is beautiful and my eyes wander all over.

Quote Originally Posted by agirlintheD View Post
    Missed Sweetest Heart's fish fry this past week; however, I heard it was quite a disappointment not only by the size of the crowd, but also the quality of the food. There is a new pastor [[and a deacon who seems to have taken over) there and many changes have been going on [[some, not for the better). From what I understand, the "old-timers" are not taking change too kindly. With that being said, I wasn't there Friday, so I can't give my true assessment, but it would be a shame if the quality/crowd were subpar knowing how good they have been in the past.
    I used to attend there, years ago. The old padre got busted for his great affinity for male prostitutes. Not sure what's going on there now that's worse, but whatever. I've known so many good priests but they need to let those guys marry. Maybe get less nuts and creepos in the ranks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast