Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Packard Plant's ex-owner claims he still holds title; Peru developer cries blackmail

Dominic Cristini, former owner of Detroit’s old Packard Plant, has threatened to hold up redevelopment efforts for the desolate site unless new owner Fernando Palazuelo pays him money for a piece of the land that Cristini says he still technically owns.
    As well, Cristini, 54, claims Wayne County botched the foreclosure of the plant site last year and believes he could make a claim of ownership over most of the parcels that make up the 40-acre site. In a face-to-face meeting last week, Cristini told Palazuelo that for a price he would drop his claims.
    Cristini’s adviser, David Wax, said there are others who also can lay claim to some of the parcels, but he would not provide their identities or say how many.

http://www.freep.com/article/2014030...ando-Palazuelo

Jeezus Jones, this guy's like Herpes. Why doesn't someone nail him for back taxes "since he still owns it"? I'm sure there are tons of other violations regarding property neglect and unsafe conditions. Someone get me Craig on the phone.......

Ugh. Can I get some good news, please? Between this, Papa Joe's, YOBS, and the Cushingberry ticket getting dismissed, it's been a sad couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    Dominic Cristini, former owner of Detroit’s old Packard Plant, has threatened to hold up redevelopment efforts for the desolate site unless new owner Fernando Palazuelo pays him money for a piece of the land that Cristini says he still technically owns.

The case has no merit. The State of Michigan changed the law on tax sales and it's different from over a decade ago when Dominic fought the foreclosure process back then. Because it went on auction, the new law is that the liens are automatically wiped out unless they are from a government agency. https://www.tax-sale.info/html/index/page/faq

"Do I still get a tax lien when I buy property from Michigan tax sales?

No, under the new system all buyers receive a quit claim deed. All previous title rights have been extinguished, and you own the property free and clear. Prior owners have no right to redeem the parcel from the deed sale.

The only liens that survive foreclosures are those filed by governmental agencies in relation to the environmental protection act. Individuals interested in parcels associated to Department of Environmental Quality [[DEQ) liens should contact the DEQ to discuss lien amounts that may become the responsibility of purchasers.Recorded or visible easements, right of ways and deeds, and environmental restrictions also survive the foreclosure.

In the rare event that the Internal Revenue Service [[IRS) has not been properly noticed regarding property on which the IRS has placed a lien, such IRS liens would survive the foreclosure process. "
    Last edited by davewindsor; March-05-14 at 08:54 AM.

the new owner should be extremely aggressive, file civil and criminal charges against the Cristini Enterprise.

Never buy a pig in a poke... meow.

No, under the new system all buyers receive a quit claim deed. All previous title rights have been extinguished, and you own the property free and clear. Prior owners have no right to redeem the parcel from the deed sale.
    Note - the county delivers a Quitclaim Deed, not a Warranty Deed which includes a warranty of title. "A quitclaim deed conveys all of the right, title and interest in the real estate owned by the grantor at the time of the conveyance, but nothing else." Doelle v. Reed 329 Mich 655 [[1951). No title company I know of will insure title based on these Quitclaim Deeds.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    Ugh. Can I get some good news, please? Between this, Papa Joe's, YOBS, and the Cushingberry ticket getting dismissed, it's been a sad couple of weeks.
    What happened with Papa Joe's?

Quote Originally Posted by illwill View Post
    What happened with Papa Joe's?
    They backed out, officially citing "costs".

Dom is still mad that the city started the illegal seizure of his property [[without due process to rectify the tax situation) in 1999, and then allowed scrappers to trash the property for a decade. When the state Supreme Court ruled against the city that was his time to step up and do the right thing, but he didn't. Time to move on now Dom, what's done is done. The City is who you have the problem with, not the new owner. Oh, by the way, the city is beyond broek, so let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    No to mention the Wurlitzer deal being off.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Jeezus Jones, this guy's like Herpes. Why doesn't someone nail him for back taxes "since he still owns it"? I'm sure there are tons of other violations regarding property neglect and unsafe conditions. Someone get me Craig on the phone.......
    My feeling exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    They backed out, officially citing "costs".
    Or could have cited Whole Foods and watched the demise of YOB?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Well,he is a spokesperson in something that was way out of his league to start with,it is not advisable to make a deal with the devil so to speak,for a lousy 100k,sooner or later that debt gets paid or .... so it may seem as a grasping at straws situation.

Mr Wax who is a good person and really wishes the best interest for the city,is a well knowledgeable,and known commercial broker.

Personally I still question the speed in this all going to auction,Packard properties consists of over 100 pages of assembled parcels and listed in general as Packard properties on 43 acres,miss one of these properties in the process and then it can be a stickler.

Mr Wax who is a good person and really wishes the best interest for the city,is a well knowledgeable,and known commercial broker..
    Laugh number 1

[/QUOTE]Personally I still question the speed in this all going to auction[/QUOTE]

Laugh number 2

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Laugh number 1
    Personally I still question the speed in this all going to auction[/QUOTE]

Laugh number 2[/QUOTE]

Comforting to know you find a lack of knowledge in manners of the city amusing.

Have you ever dealt with Mr. Wax before?
    Have you ever dealt with Mr. Cristini and his partners before?

Do you have anything to contribute to the discussion other then a laugh,granted we all could use a laugh now and then but if you wish to provide it by quoting me then you would to really need step up a few more levels in the game,because it portrays that you really do not understand the reasons,hows and whys of the way things are in the city.

Packard is a drop in the bucket comparatively,every large vacant building in the city has its own micro story as to why it is like it is,you cannot just walk into buying one without finding it out what it is and how it affects the sale.

It is bit more then putting a face to a building and placing blame,that is kinda like passing judgement without all the facts.

Now if you have a really good joke to share then I am all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post

Mr Wax who is a good person and really wishes the best interest for the city,is a well knowledgeable,and known commercial broker.
    Yeah, they both sound like great guys.

Last week, Cristini and Wax laid out the situation for Palazuelo and lawyer Kopietz during a meeting in the attorney’s Detroit office.

In Free Press interviews this week, Palazuelo and Kopietz recalled how during the meeting Cristini sought $3.5 million in exchange for all land ownership questions to go away.

Wax confirmed for the Free Press that such an offer was made, but wouldn’t specify the amount. He said most of the money would go to other individuals whom Cristini knows who have claims to the jumble of parcels.
    And really, wouldn't we rather have Cristini back in the Packard and looking out for the neighborhood?

In late 2006, Cristini was sentenced to 70 months in prison on a conviction of dealing the drug ecstasy from a now-demolished schoolhouse across from the Packard Plant. He was released early after four years.

So in the future if somebody is not liked or held in high standards in the community the due process for foreclosure is circumvented,the newspaper prints the process of foreclosure and cites the two year process leading up to.

This is the reason for so much blight while awaiting the process,Packard comes up for auction in less then 6 month's,100 parcels ready,when it takes two years for one.

Judging from the past litigation,of all of the properties this one should have been under the microscope in details.But it did gain world wide attention to the cities upcoming auction and used as a loss leader it worked.

It does not really matter about the players as the city will now be forced to deal with this or gain a negative trust in future auctions,the 600k will now be probably in a lawyers pocket defending the city.

So instant gratification can be a bit expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post
    Note - the county delivers a Quitclaim Deed, not a Warranty Deed which includes a warranty of title. "A quitclaim deed conveys all of the right, title and interest in the real estate owned by the grantor at the time of the conveyance, but nothing else." Doelle v. Reed 329 Mich 655 [[1951). No title company I know of will insure title based on these Quitclaim Deeds.
    So now you're going to cite a 60+ year old legal case??

As for title insurance, read the rest of the FAQ webpage: https://www.tax-sale.info/html/index/page/faq

"How much is the title insurance policy?

Please call Tom Willard at [[269)226-2600 x1164, or email us for a title insurance quote. Please give us the amount of insurance you request in your email to Tom."

A quitclaim deed where the immediately preceding event is a statutory wipeout of all prior interests should be quite insurable. Don't lose the forest for the trees.

HB

Quote Originally Posted by GPCharles View Post

davewindsor and hugggybear,

Good luck to both of you getting title insurance on your purchase of tax sale properties. I talked to 2 title agents yesterday that both said they wouldn't touch insuring title to the Packard property UNLESS the buyer also initiated and successfully prosecuted a quiet title action. There is a lot more to this process than is laid out in the county website. Tax sales, particularly on commercial properties, are a hot bed of subsequent litigation, usually based on the notice, or lack thereof, by the county. Note that the attorney for the buyer stated they are negotiating with the former owner. He is well aware of the potential landmines that lay ahead of his client.

It is not uncommon for the previous owner to sign a Quitclaim Deed...for a price. Sometimes it is easier to payoff the previous owner than proceed with Quiet title.

Anyone know of the Tocco family being involved in this? I heard a rumor in the scrapping crews about a family member being involved, just a rumor please dont kill me.

This whole thing sounds like Cristini is grabbing at straws hoping Palazuelo will pay him to go away and not drag this out in court.

Hope Palazuelo will somehow be able to use Uncle Allen Hill for this project, he's a good man and would make a great groundskeeper. Honestly if he doesnt give Allen some kind of security I'll be a bit pissed. Palazuelo seems like a good man that will do the right thing, I hope I get the chance to meet him someday.

I really don't know how this guy has the gall to keep coming back and telling this guy he still technically owns parts of what he just paid for. $3.5M to keep quiet? I hope Palazuelo told him to fuck off and that he'd invite him to try it in court. The guy had millions in unpaid taxes, lost the property to foreclosure, and it was sold at auction. This just sounds like some good ole fashioned blackmail.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    Isn't this the same guy who claimed he owned the plant during the Banksy Mural flap... only to publicly disavow ownership once the City of Detroit wanted to talk to him about the deplorable condition of the property [[and possibly the back taxes due)?

Not only that, but if he had provable ownership of the property, wouldn't he have spoken up about this before the auction, and not after? This just reeks of sour grapes and obstructionism.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast