Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Jefferson Ave. - a little pictoral history

Some interesting historical pictures of my favorite Detroit avenue:
    http://apps.detroitnews.com/apps/mul...y.php?id=17543

I may quibble a bit with some of the captions, or find them incomplete, or want to add a picture or two of my own, but still some fascinating stuff here for us students of our local history.

What Kind of trucks are those in picture#22 ? I have never anything like the one on the right

Nice collection of photos. Any idea of where [[even a ballpark guess #44 is?) Just curious if it's anywhere near Conner.

Quote Originally Posted by ddaydetroit View Post
    What Kind of trucks are those in picture#22 ? I have never anything like the one on the right
    I agree, those are some strange vehicles.

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Nice collection of photos. Any idea of where [[even a ballpark guess #44 is?) Just curious if it's anywhere near Conner.
    I believe it's on Jefferson west of Griswold. I think that's the brand new Cobo Hall in the far background.

I believe that's a very early [[about 1916 to 1920) Mack truck.

Why is the plow pushing liquid water in Picture #18?

Fluffy solid water I can understand being plowable, but...

The truck is pulling the bus....there's a cable between them

Just thanks! Thanks for taking the time and effort to post these wonderful pictures of Jefferson Avenue. It was like a fantasy trip through time. Again, THANKS!

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    Ellman's office furniture was at 160 West Jefferson.

#40 is incorrectly labeled as being in the 1980s. The cranes in the photo are there to install the assembly line bridge over Jefferson, which was built around 1955.

Interestingly enough, the street that predated Jefferson Ave. was as the website labeled... "River Road", which was somewhere between Jefferson and Atwater today...

43 was dated 1960. One Woodward looks pretty complete to me....wasn't started until sometime in 60, I think.

I sure enjoyed a few I hadn't seen before. Shame there couldn't be a couple blocks somewhere left from the Federal era.

Quote Originally Posted by CASSTECH1981 View Post
    The truck is pulling the bus....there's a cable between them
    Thank you! Sorry I didn't see that ... VUI [[viewing under the influence)

Fascinating pix!!

I wish they would have used this picture of the Belle Isle Bridge approach

This is across Jefferson from the shots they used for #20 and #23. Interesting to see the bridge with the 2 old Electric Park roller coasters in the background, isn't it?

My grandfather grew up just a few houses up from this scene. In fact, the Moestra Tavern, shown in picture 23 was one of the places my grandfather worked as a kid. He swept floors, emptied spittoons, and was a "bucket boy" making local deliveries.

Great photos. I've gone through them about a half dozen times. Still always trying to figure out the north side of the street, just east of the Jefferson/ Conners intersection. I saw a few photos that might have brought back some memories from the late 60's early 70's. I just remember a block of old buildings, stores, restaurants and bars on the north side of Jefferson. Hookers having breakfast in the dive restaurants, lots of people on the street.
    Maybe I've got my streets confused. Party store at Conners and Jefferson? A Burger King just to the west with the second story wall scarred with 45 cal. bullets from the riots. Maybe I'm off a few blocks. Mack?