Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Has Cushingberry dodged the traffic stop fiasco?

Seems the patrol officer was a no show in court.

Seems the information was sent to the wrong precinct... Mmmm hmmm....

Keep in mind that the ticket was for failing to signal, not DUI, possession, etc.

http://www.freep.com/article/2014030...cket-dismissed

A paperwork mix-up led to Detroit City Councilman George Cushingberry Jr.’s traffic citation from an infamous January traffic stop being dismissed recently in court, Detroit police said Monday night.
    Third Deputy Chief Rodney Johnson said Detroit’s 36th District Court sent a notice for the officer who cited Cushingberry to appear in the case to the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    Seems the information was sent to the wrong precinct... Mmmm hmmm....

Keep in mind that the ticket was for failing to signal, not DUI, possession, etc.

http://www.freep.com/article/2014030...cket-dismissed
    Apparently you've never dealt with Detroit Courts. I believe it happened just as stated. My only question would be why the officer was transferred and when?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Apparently you've never dealt with Detroit Courts.
    True statement.

Apparently you've never dealt with Detroit Courts. I believe it happened just as stated. My only question would be why the officer was transferred and when?
    Don't you in just the slightest bit think that due to the high visibility and reputation of this incident, the officer should have had some inkling of when this court date was?

Either way it exemplifies that our city services are still broken and far, far away from working efficiently. After all, what other kind of cases are being "overlooked" by the system?

A bungleing bureaucracy? Maybe. But I'm betting on a backroom deal.

If you're implying a conspiracy behind the transfer of the officer, the article says he was transferred into the 2nd Precinct PRIOR to the incident.

The officer had, until late November, worked in the Detroit Police Department’s Tactical Response Unit, but was transferred to the city’s 2nd Precinct; the court notice was sent to the officer’s old post, so he never knew he was to have appeared, Johnson said.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    This. This. This.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    No shuffled paperwork & because of arrogance, conducted in the front-room.....

Y'all can cool the conspiracy theories for a bit:

Detroit police re-issue traffic ticket to George Cushingberry

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/24...e-cushingberry

Quote Originally Posted by ferndalien View Post
    Y'all can cool the conspiracy theories for a bit:

Detroit police re-issue traffic ticket to George Cushingberry

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/24...e-cushingberry
    Why all the interest in this failure to use his turn signal ticket? He was allowed to get away with an open alcohol bottle in his car and never given a field sobriety test to see where those last few ounces of rum went...
    I'd much rather see charges on these...

failure to signal in detriot? driving while black?

this story has a bit more distraction left in it.

How come they don't reissue tickets for every cop that doesn't show when they're supposed to on court days? Who makes those decisions? If the cop doesn't show that should be it. I didn't even know they could do that.