Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Thread: motorcity wine

Default motorcity wine

I noticed that "motorcity wine" has a logo listed on the sponsors page for the corktown music festival this saturday, anybody heard of it?

http://corktownmusicfestival.com/sponsors/sponsors.html

Yeah, upstairs fromEphs. Opening Wed., July 29 with a party at Forans, 6-9

The owners are some of the coolest people downtown...and the business model is unique...cannot wait to see it finally launch.

oh, i thought that was another name for the forum: motorcity whine

I was thinking more of a Detoit homegrown vine... such as a Zug Island Bordeaux... with an earthy-slaggy flavor... or a Uniroyal du Pape with just a piquant bouquet of leeching heavy metals...

But they probably wouldn't hold a candle next to Chateau d'Etroit, with a twist off cap.
    Last edited by Gistok; July-23-09 at 12:27 AM.

diver1369 Guest

Detroit already has a wine. What's the word?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPEXgM2iHmU

Gistok,

Thanks for a good laugh; "Uniroyal du Pape..." had me laughing out loud.

I wonder why [[warning: opinion) Michigan wines pretty much basically all suck, whereas the Niagara region wines from Ontario aren't bad? The climate is awfully similar, and I can't imagine the soils are that much different.

Prof. Scott

LOL @ gistok; uniroyal dupape...that's a good one.

professor; you need to make it up to the leelanau peninsula more; michigan wines are making leaps and bounds in quality and winning multiple awards. michigan is now know as a premier region for piesporters, gewurstemieners [[sp?), and other sweeter whites [[beating out long time winner Germany multiple times in international competitions). some of their dryer whites have now started competing with californian wines on the national and international scale. the reds have finally started placing within the past few years, specifically the baco and pino noirs. methinks perhaps you haven't been sampling the right michigan wines?

Oh...like medical placebos...the taste of wine is affected greatly by expectations.

Wine snobs are amusing...although some really DO have golden tastebuds, most are pretending. I would like to do a double-blind test for taste, and will suggest this to our new stewards at Motorcity Wine!

Then we'll see...

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I was thinking more of a Detoit homegrown vine... such as a Zug Island Bordeaux... with an earthy-slaggy flavor... or a Uniroyal du Pape with just a piquant bouquet of leeching heavy metals...

But they probably wouldn't hold a candle next to Chateau d'Etroit, with a twist off cap.
    Perhaps something in a Belle Isle Shiraz?

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Oh...like medical placebos...the taste of wine is affected greatly by expectations.

Wine snobs are amusing...although some really DO have golden tastebuds, most are pretending. I would like to do a double-blind test for taste, and will suggest this to our new stewards at Motorcity Wine!

Then we'll see...
    betterhalf isn't a connoisseur, but he knows what he likes. One of his faves is a Chateau Neuf du Pape. We both like a certain Amarone. I like the Pelee Island Semi-Sweet Merlot and Grand Traverse Late Harvest Riesling. Of course, if MCW comes up with anything close to it, I'm in. Not so sure about betterhalf. I'm willing to bet bucks he would win a taste test.

I'm not a wine snob, haven't had much of the vast variety of Michigan wines, but B.Nektar Meadry in Ferndale makes some pretty interesting flavors & tastes. It's a meadry that I will try more than once.

rsa313..You are right about Leelenau...and what a beautiful fall color trip to take. You can sample wine at all the wineries and purchase what you like. My favorite white is from Leelenau Cellars, but there are many good ones. Well worth the trip.

[[I need to coach my comments with the disclaimer that I have never found an unspoiled bottle of wine that I didn't appreciate...and yes I've been somewhat trained in tasting...last one was with Elie up in Royal Oak where my notes agreed with some of the most experienced winos)

OK , so I am one of the owners.
    we are indeed having a wine tasting @ Forans Grand Trunk pub [[Weds the 29th, 6-9pm 15 wines for $15) ,and are hopefully moving into our space above Ephs before the end of our so called summer.
    we do not make wine, we will be a wine shop with a focus on service and value

Gannon, as a certified sommelier I have had to undergo blind tastings before a panel of Master Sommeliers. You have to accurately guess the Varietal, country, vintage + descriptors and more.

I'll be posting more about Motor City Wine when we are ready to move into our space

Don't misunderstand me, Lafleur, I know full well that there are some people with the ability to choose and rank taste.

That is WHY there is such a thing as a somelier, it is your gift...flow in it!

I'm saying that so many of what average people perceive is affected by their expectations, and they should not immediately discount or discard wines because they were made here...I've been pleased with many of the Michigan wines I've sampled.

And, blind taste tests tend to confuse the average person who has not had their tastebuds [[or other senses) trained...I simply hadn't gone into that part...and do a GREAT job of proving to individuals that their expectations can be surprised!

Cheers...

LodgeDodger Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lafleur View Post
    OK , so I am one of the owners.
    we are indeed having a wine tasting @ Forans Grand Trunk pub [[Weds the 29th, 6-9pm 15 wines for $15) ,and are hopefully moving into our space above Ephs before the end of our so called summer.
    we do not make wine, we will be a wine shop with a focus on service and value

Gannon, as a certified sommelier I have had to undergo blind tastings before a panel of Master Sommeliers. You have to accurately guess the Varietal, country, vintage + descriptors and more.

I'll be posting more about Motor City Wine when we are ready to move into our space
    Welcome to DYes, Lafleur.

I'll make it a point to stop in. Perhaps I'll pick up a sammy at Eph's and finally meet Gannon.

Good luck Dave A.-P. and Lafleur. Detroit needs a good wine shop.

Please carry some "natural" wine. Hand harvested, fermented without added yeast or anything - you know - live, tasty juice. And it's fine if the average person can't pronounce the words on the label; we're buying it to drink, not read.

Stop by Slows for Muscadet Monday next week [[~8:30) or following Mondays and you might collect some customers.
    Last edited by putnam; July-27-09 at 10:04 AM.

Heya 'Dodger, you won't see me @ Eph's! It's been about three weeks or so since I've had to worry about that place.

Cheers, we'll meet at the Garden!

Does anyone know if this place is open yet? I would like to check it out!