Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Former Brush Park laundromat [[vacant)

Ok, so this idea has been brewing in my head for quite some time. I work at Comerica Park, and my walk to and from my car to CoPa passes this building regularly, and I always thought it would be a great location for a bar.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3420...m1!1e3!5m1!1e1

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3420...ZA!2e0!5m1!1e1

It used to be a cleaners, Barlum Cleaners, thanks to Brush Park Preservation Society on Facebook.

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...73118787_n.jpg

This is what it looks like right now

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/...42723407_n.jpg

It's supposedly owned by the city of Detroit, according to WDWOT.

http://whydontweownthis.com/sc/mi/wa...4241/-83.04875

So I guess what I'm asking is, with the two stadiums right across I-75, and the new Wings district going in not too far, Brush Park has to be on the upswing soon. I know there's a plan in place to develop a part of the Brush Park.

Is this a feasible idea? What do you think would go best in this location?

P.S.
    I'm just a recent college grad with a degree in journalism, love the city, and have no experience in the restaurant business, just a thought about the location.

I think you need to think bigger, and look at who owns all of the property to the north and east of this one. Who do you think has this development plan in place? What do you think this development plan is? How might this property be part of the larger development plan?

I think you should use that journalism education, and do some research.

Quote Originally Posted by 48202 View Post
    I think you need to think bigger, and look at who owns all of the property to the north and east of this one. Who do you think has this development plan in place? What do you think this development plan is? How might this property be part of the larger development plan?

I think you should use that journalism education, and do some research.
    Is the said property already spoken for or in negotiations?

Unless you have a million or two laying around to purchase that........

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Is the said property already spoken for or in negotiations?
    I have no idea. Why do you think the property owner would sell off this tiny lot, less than 1/10 acre, in isolation, rather than bundling it with the dozens of adjacent properties it also owns?

I have no idea. Why do you think the property owner would sell off this tiny lot, less than 1/10 acre, in isolation, rather than bundling it with the dozens of adjacent properties it also owns?
    It'll be worth more as a stand alone business in the middle of an area being developed? One example would be Harry's Restaurant on Clifford, another, the bar directly across the street from it. [[whose name escapes me) Both used to be in the Cass Corridor, now both are in the Comerica Park Area. Both are doing well.

It'll be worth more as a stand alone business in the middle of an area being developed
    Since you bring up the idea of business worth, I'll ask you how you would calculate what this property is worth.

If you were to calculate a value for this property, do you think the property owner would consider selling it for this amount?
    Last edited by 48202; March-05-14 at 07:49 AM.

Old Laundrys are known to be contaminated. You will need to remiediate
    http://homeguides.sfgate.com/effects...ent-78883.html

This is especially true if you want to sell food or drink for consumption on the premises.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Old Laundrys are known to be contaminated. You will need to remiediate
    http://homeguides.sfgate.com/effects...ent-78883.html

This is especially true if you want to sell food or drink for consumption on the premises.
    Just name the place "PERC Bar". Has a familiar sound to it. I'd go there.

Since you bring up the idea of business worth, I'll ask you how you would calculate what this property is worth.

If you were to calculate a value for this property, do you think the property owner would consider selling it for this amount?
    I have no idea what it's actual worth is, but something on the outskirts of a development that big, if handled properly, could repay the initial investment, IMO. Do a search and see if anyone has laid claim to it yet. My guess players bigger then us have already claimed it, with all the media attention that area has been getting.

I have no idea what it's actual worth is, but something on the outskirts of a development that big, if handled properly, could repay the initial investment, IMO. Do a search and see if anyone has laid claim to it yet. My guess players bigger then us have already claimed it, with all the media attention that area has been getting.
    I'm not a player, and I doubt that you are a player either. I'm just a voice on an anonymous Internet forum being entertained by other voices who have no idea what they are talking about.

This property is already part of a development zone. You couldn't offer a price high enough to not be laughed out the door. You couldn't buy it for a price low enough to ever recover the purchase price.

I'm not a player, and I doubt that you are a player either. I'm just a voice on an anonymous Internet forum being entertained by other voices who have no idea what they are talking about.

This property is already part of a development zone. You couldn't offer a price high enough to not be laughed out the door. You couldn't buy it for a price low enough to ever recover the purchase price.
    I totally agree with all statements contained within your post. As far as being a player, I can't even find my glove.