Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default DPD Sketches for CVS Guard Shooting.

Do they really expect to ID anyone from these?

Name:  Really..jpg
Views: 828
Size:  20.1 KB

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...guard-shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Do they really expect to ID anyone from these?

Name:  Really..jpg
Views: 828
Size:  20.1 KB

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...guard-shooting
    My sympathies and condolences to the family and friends of a brave man. I hope they find and execute the asswipes that did this.

and people wonder why youths in hoodies hanging out or walking the streets are looked at suspiciously?

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    and people wonder why youths in hoodies hanging out or walking the streets are looked at suspiciously?
    Because some assholes wearing hoodies robbed a CVS and killed someone? Were they wearing shoes? Maybe we should be suspicious of everyone walking the streets wearing shoes!

Quote Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
    Because some assholes wearing hoodies robbed a CVS and killed someone? Were they wearing shoes? Maybe we should be suspicious of everyone walking the streets wearing shoes!
    I understand your point, but entering most convenience stores, pharmacies and banks with a hood up is forbidden. It says so on the doors. Failure to comply could result in police action to possible arrest. Really, what initiated the conversation is the obvious fact that when someone conceals their identity in a place of business and commits a crime, the witness descriptions create anonymous sketches.

But you are right. There is no excuse for anyone to generalize anyone as a criminal by their attire. However it is reasonable to raise suspicion when one tries to conceal their identity in a place of business. On the other hand, if someone chooses to wear their hood up or their hat low walking around on the street, that's their own right to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    Wow, I wonder if the concepts of social stigmas, guilt by association ever come to the forefront of thought when bandied about.

It seems it won't go away and is part of the human condition because everybody, everywhere plays the game.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    I understand your point, but entering most convenience stores, pharmacies and banks with a hood up is forbidden. It says so on the doors. Failure to comply could result in police action to possible arrest. Really, what initiated the conversation is the obvious fact that when someone conceals their identity in a place of business and commits a crime, the witness descriptions create anonymous sketches.

But you are right. There is no excuse for anyone to generalize anyone as a criminal by their attire. However it is reasonable to raise suspicion when one tries to conceal their identity in a place of business. On the other hand, if someone chooses to wear their hood up or their hat low walking around on the street, that's their own right to do so.
    I see people [[can't be certain if they're women) wearing burqas in my bank quite often and yet I get strange looks when I wear my ski mask even in this cold weather.

Quote Originally Posted by 401don View Post
    I see people [[can't be certain if they're women) wearing burqas in my bank quite often and yet I get strange looks when I wear my ski mask even in this cold weather.
    Yes. The enforcement of such policies can be difficult in situations where it comes to one removing attire that is part of their religion or culture. While a retailer's policy can be upheld in court, that does not mean they are free from public backlash.

I think the consensus here would be that it's still a lot harder to identify an individual that has a ski mask or hood up because that could be anybody anywhere.

I think there's common courtesy that someone remove their ski mask when entering a business or stepping on public transportation. You are now in an environment that is warm enough where you don't need to cover your face. The only exceptions I see are religious or medical reasons. I see people get on the subway everyday that keep their faces covered and stand near the doors....probably because they don't like the inconvenience of removing it. They do get weird stares because none of us, not even children, are covering their faces.

I would say public transportation is a difficult area for enforcement but a private business requiring one to remove a hood or ski mask out of suspicion is not an unreasonable request....it's private property and employee safety is important.

BTW, pretty much any large chain store or bank I've walked into in bigger cities has security. If you listen a properly trained security guard will ask "Can I ask you to remove your hat sir?" Not... "remove your hat, sir" They give a moment for the customer to give a reason.
    Last edited by wolverine; March-02-14 at 08:14 PM.

Let's see, the guy that shot and killed both the male clerk and kidnapped and killed the female clerk @ The Family Dollar in Dearborn had a hoodie. The 3 guys that kicked the ladies back door down in Detroit had hoodies. These 3 guys, [[though the one drawing does look like a girl) had hoodies. Countless other videos of store robberies, carjackings, home breakins, shootings, etc., etc., etc. showed people were wearing hoodies. My conclusion from reading DetroitYES? It's Ok to commit crime wearing a hoodie, but pointing that out in a post makes you a clothes racist. Please post a video link showing someone murdering someone wearing their shoes over their face to conceal their identity, I missed it.

The CVS near me had an un-official hand-written NO Hoodies inside store sign a few years before the Trevon Martin incident. They have not had the sign up since... Other independent and mom and pop stores have the 'hoodie no service' signs in the city for years.
    Last edited by Zacha341; March-02-14 at 10:16 PM.

[[It is 3 degrees Fahrenheit out as I type this - people out and about
    right now should have on their hoodies as well as their scarves and
    their stocking caps and if they wear shoes on their faces I won't laugh.)

Newsclips don't often show video clips of people in burqas holding up
    liquor stores with AKs - so, we don't profile people in burqas as robbers.
    Similarly we don't profile those in Shriners fezzes, etc. as such. Since
    the three suspects shown above are portrayed as wearing hoodies,
    we now are that much more likely to profile hoodie wearers as potential robbers. Though body language, seeing a group ALL wearing hoodies,
    ALL wearing other concealing items, etc. would set off more alarms
    than just a hoodie being worn, especially now, considering the weather.

The black male is now a endangered species.

Originally Posted by iheartthed

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Let's see, the guy that shot and killed both the male clerk and kidnapped and killed the female clerk @ The Family Dollar in Dearborn had a hoodie. The 3 guys that kicked the ladies back door down in Detroit had hoodies. These 3 guys, [[though the one drawing does look like a girl) had hoodies. Countless other videos of store robberies, carjackings, home breakins, shootings, etc., etc., etc. showed people were wearing hoodies. My conclusion from reading DetroitYES? It's Ok to commit crime wearing a hoodie, but pointing that out in a post makes you a clothes racist. Please post a video link showing someone murdering someone wearing their shoes over their face to conceal their identity, I missed it.
    I think iheartthed point was.....um hum...aah....crickets....um...aah....crickets churping again... um ahh......nope can't figure it out...must have been a weak moment and emotional reaction when ihearth defended the state of hoodiedefamation. No officer..... you see its like this I didn't do nothing I was just WWH........................[[WALKIN WIT HOODIE)

I'm sure ihearth walks into a place of business where 50 customers are all wearing hoodies and sneekers and thinks nothing of it.

Based on the sketches alone, could anybody even swear if the faces were male or female?

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post

He was referring to Trayvon Martin.

As has been mentioned before, places of business that are susceptible to robbery have policies forbidding you to conceal your face inside those establishments. There was actually a local news story a couple of weeks ago here in the New York area where the reporter purposely went into banks wearing sunglasses and a hat to test the policy. Many banks have greeters at the door who will ask you to remove items concealing your identity when you enter the bank. That is a very reasonable policy and I have nothing against it. But that's very different from what he said:

It's an obvious reference to Trayvon Martin and the comment is completely indefensible. Do people also look suspiciously at people wearing hats and sunglasses while walking in the street?

With all due respect to our beloved city, Detroit in general can be looked at as a "place....... that are susceptible to robbery".

Second, I have never seen a greeter at a bank. Just saying.

And lastly, I do give most people with hoodies on a double take. It's called being aware of your surroundings. It's borderline collusion on criminals behalf that they almost always wear hoodies in the commission of a crime. You and I both know why.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    With all due respect to our beloved city, Detroit in general can be looked at as a "place....... that are susceptible to robbery".

Second, I have never seen a greeter at a bank. Just saying.

And lastly, I do give most people with hoodies on a double take. It's called being aware of your surroundings. It's borderline collusion on criminals behalf that they almost always wear hoodies in the commission of a crime. You and I both know why.
    I'm sorry, do you have a point somewhere in there? Kinda lost me with the absurd statement suggesting that Detroit should not operate as a civilized society.

Personally, if I had a store, I would ban anybody wearing a suit and tie because we all know bankers are among the biggest crooks out there.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    Personally, if I had a store, I would ban anybody wearing a suit and tie because we all know bankers are among the biggest crooks out there.
    I'm trying to find the surveillance video I saw of three bankers murdering a security guard in a parking lot during an attempted car jacking, involving 2 women and a 6 year old child, gone wrong. All three bankers were wearing wingtips on their faces to conceal their identity.

I'm sorry, do you have a point somewhere in there? Kinda lost me with the absurd statement suggesting that Detroit should not operate as a civilized society.
    Yes, I can understand you being "lost". Three guys murder a security guard after trying to carjack 2 women and a 6 year old with a gun, and you get on his case because somehow you feel he violated your God-given right to wear a "hoodie". Detroit has a long way to go before it begins to operate as a civilized society.

Yes, I can understand you being "lost". Three guys murder a security guard after trying to carjack 2 women and a 6 year old with a gun, and you get on his case because somehow you feel he violated your God-given right to wear a "hoodie". Detroit has a long way to go before it begins to operate as a civilized society.
    HT I totally gave up. If Iheart can't find the relevant points in my very direct and succinct post, it just isn't worth the time.

BTW - Wingtips on the face....... lol, nice.

What's amazing is that you don't even question the relevance of talking about what they are wearing? A security guard is murdered by three guys who also tried to carjack two women and you all turn into a bunch of fashion critics.

Quote Originally Posted by TKshreve View Post
    HT I totally gave up. If Iheart can't find the relevant points in my very direct and succinct post, it just isn't worth the time.

BTW - Wingtips on the face....... lol, nice.
    And if you two lunatics can't see the difference between wearing a hoodie in a business versus wearing one while "hanging out or walking the streets", it definitely was never worth your time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast