Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Your grocery dollars........

I see neighbors at Krogers and Meijers and Honey Bee. Where do your spend your grocery money?

DETROIT [[CNNMoney.com) -- Detroit is one of America's largest cities, but there isn't a single grocery chain store within the city limits. Spurned by national retailers, Detroit's nearly 1 million residents instead rely on independent stores run by local entrepreneurs for their most basic needs..........................

http://money.cnn.com/2009/07/22/smal...ion=2009072204

I spend my money at a local G-Mart [[That is ghetto market's like liquor stores and Arab and Chaldean owned supermarkets.) Sometimes I go to one of those Welfare Supermarkets like Aldi's and Save a Lot. However If I have more money that I go to real supermarket like Krogger's and Meijers and I stay away from Wal-Mart Supercenters. They're EVIL!

Default Village Market, Spartan, Gratiot Central

I shop mostly for necessities at the Indian Village Market on Jefferson and I buy all my meats at the Gratiot Market [[great prices) 60 bucks get you enough meat for the wife and I for 3 weeks

When I lived in Midtown I would use the University Spartan store on Warren and sometimes when I was hung over and/or really lazy Tomboys across the street.

That's funny, we went to Tomboy...er no, what used to be Parkers...when we were lazy and wanted to BE hung-over this past weekend!

I'm all about HoneyBee and Eastern Market...but have to go to Meijer for a few things [[2.5 gallon distilled water, OJ two-for-$5 instead of $4.69 for one!) and always trek to the Calder dairy store since $2.49 beats what they sell the Natural Milk for anywhere in the city by a good enough margin...and it gives me an excuse to be near my Lincoln Park friends and family!

I still cannot figure why real OJ is SO tough and expensive to get in the inner city. Other good sources of Vitamin C, too.

It is not about groceries, per se, but specifically THAT nutrient that seems to be embargoed. Oddly the only vitamin the body doesn't produce itself.

Conspiracy? I'm on it.

Farmers Fruit and Veg Market On Mack SCS ..Eastern Market,Krogers for esentials,Sprout House...Hey Gannon OJ is even expensive in Fla

When Walmart can sell it at $3 and change all day...and Meijer regularly has two-for-$5s on the original Grovestand [[the closest thing I've found to what I could buy when I lived in Winter Park NW of Orlando)...it is just amazing to me that HoneyBee charges $4.69 for it.

Don't get me started on what Zacarros wanted for the same substance.

Yeah, I know Walmart is evil and all...but my friend Buddy needed some stuff when we were out at Home Depot in Dearborn the other day...

Bozek Meat Market and Al-Haramine Grocery, right across the street from each other on Caniff.

We go to this independent market on 10 Mile and Hoover [[former Farmer Jack) called Value Fresh Marketplace. It's gorgeous! They have great sales, fresh food, the store's clean and well lit. not to mention they actuallly have a full service deli/bakery.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Yeah, I know Walmart is evil and all...
    Yeah, like the Chaldean-owned markets in Detroit are heaven on earth.

stinkbug Guest

University Foods mostly for groceries, sometimes Harbortown, Eastern Market and Honeybee for produce. Honeybee is also carrying a wide variety of non-mercado groceries.

I would rather pay a little bit more for OJ in the City and have the convenience of getting it nearby and also keeping my money in Detroit. A gallon of OJ lasts me a while anyway.

Only time I go shopping elsewhere is to take all my beer bottles back to Meijer.

I'd be really happy if Meijer opened in the City at the Eight Mile location though. While not near my neighborhood, it would still be within city limits and provide a lot of union jobs.

Honeybee 70%.

The rest: Eastern Market, Trader Joe's, Cantoro in Livonia, Western Market in Ferndale, dumpsters.

Fairlane Market in Warrendale, or Greenland Markets in E Dearborn, as well as the Kroger in E Dearborn. Yes I will drive an extra few miles to shop at Kroger rather than shop at the Walmart I can walk to.

Well in Indian Village we had Harbortown, but its been closed for about a month due to flooding. Any word on when they may open? I hope they were up to date on the insurance. And I hate shopping at walmart, expect to be in line for atleast 30 min, I swear its like a cattle call!

Bearinabox Guest

I buy my gallon jugs of grape drink exclusively from the Glory Hole on Woodward and Manchester.

Eastern Market, Honeybee, Del Point and the East Warren Avenue Farmer's Market. It's not a conscious decision, but I can't remember the last time I bought groceries in the 'burbs.

Glory Hole: Where strangers become friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0EGozm1TsA

Spouse and I shop for convenience, price and the ever populat loss-leaders. We do a lot of shopping in the neighborhood area.

Try the Spartan at Riverbend, Jefferson and Chalmers. Generally minimum wait at check out. In house meat cutters. Good ground chuck. Everfresh juices at good prices. Freindly staff.

Aldi's, Mack and Alter. Usually a shop on spec. Occasionally, they carry a spiral sliced ham that is very good.

Started going to Dallas Market on Warren, east of Cadieux. Good prices at the meat counter. Watch for dates though not many problems with this.

Yorkshire Market, Mack west of Cadieux. New owners recently. Working out the kinks. Meat department good. Will slice lunch meat extremely thin on request, will shave the meat, also.

For produce and Windsor Baked bread, Randazzo's, East Outer Drive and 7 Mile. A United Nations of clientele.

Use Indian Village Market and Harbortown when we shop for a friend. Both convenient to his home in Islandview Village.

Not the only stops. Eastern Market, too.

Though in GP and GPP, Kroger in the Village and Mulier's on Kercheval are always definite stops because they are in the neighborhood. Mulier's meat counter is one of the best.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Glory Hole: Where strangers become friends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0EGozm1TsA
    The self-righteous fucktards who pick on GTA for the violence and gratuitous unlockable sex scenes miss the point entirely. Those games are funny.

hopefully there will be more shopping options in the city soon..

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    hopefully there will be more shopping options in the city soon..
    Watch the independents [[Harbortown, University Foods, etc.) that we all have been patronizing go belly up once a chain sets up shop.

"Hey, thanks for being a competitively priced, convenient option for X-amount of years, but now I'm going to do all my shopping at [[insert chain here)."

There's a lot to be said for these local options that took a risk and helped contribute to neighborhoods when no national chain would.

But, go fuck yourself Harbortown, I will be shopping at Meijer now.

I prefer to walk to University Foods for my groceries. I always come out under budget, every time.

Polish Market and Glory, both in Hamtramck, Eastern Market and sometimes Meijer since its a Michigan based grocer.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitej72 View Post
    Polish Market and Glory, both in Hamtramck, Eastern Market and sometimes Meijer since its a Michigan based grocer.
    Polish Market is nice. I like that move almost-expired merchandise to the discount shelves instead of making me weed it out myself, and I like that they sell Gelbwurst. Gelbwurst is good.

I live in the suburbs, but I'm guessing we do over 50% of our grocery shopping in Hamtramck. The New Palace Bakery is our bakery of choice and Srodek's is where we do our pierogi and kielbasa shopping. Bozek's and Polish Market are also places we patronize among a few others.
    Eastern Market probably makes up close to 10% and Meijer accounts for the rest of our shopping.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast