Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default A Michigan Department of Natural Resources has been tagging Detroit buildings?

*EMPLOYEE

Allegedly of course.

If true it is sick.

As little love as I have for people who trash their own communities.

The people that go out of their way to shit on someone else's community, I have a special brand of hatred for.

Scrappers, graffiti taggers, etc that go out of their way to permanently destroy neighborhoods should have to register in a publically available database.

I'm normally diametrically opposed to prison industrial complex and the ugliness that comes with it. Overly anxious to charge prosecutors that rig the system and militarized police that employ abuse as standard operating procedure.

But TPTB need to start getting creative. If tagging and scrapping don't carry heavy sentences then start levelling secondary charges that do.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    *EMPLOYEE

Allegedly of course.

If true it is sick.

As little love as I have for people who trash their own communities.

The people that go out of their way to shit on someone else's community, I have a special brand of hatred for.

Scrappers, graffiti taggers, etc that go out of their way to permanently destroy neighborhoods should have to register in a publically available database.

I'm normally diametrically opposed to prison industrial complex and the ugliness that comes with it. Overly anxious to charge prosecutors that rig the system and militarized police that employ abuse as standard operating procedure.

But TPTB need to start getting creative. If tagging and scrapping don't carry heavy sentences then start levelling secondary charges that do.
    I'm fine with every tagger and scrapper being shot on site.

You have to dig quite a ways through that Motor City Muckraker article to find the quote about the DNR employee:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Neavling
    Another of the worst offenders is a DNR ranger. In the graffiti world, he goes by “Rok.” He recently scrawled his monicker on every floor of the historic CPA Building across the street from Michigan Central Station. He’s also defaced numerous signs and other buildings.
    No other information is given, or source for the vandal's employment status.

Honestly, we should differentiate between tagging and street art murals. Laws requiring building owners to keep their buildings free of graffiti seem to come down in a troubling gray area.

the guys mentioned in the article make an awful mess. Nothing redeeming at all

Hopefully these punks get tracked down and locked away, along with the scrappers.

Yup, this goes to show that you can't just broad-brush blame "Detroit", some of these scrappers and taggers are from the 'burbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Honestly, we should differentiate between tagging and street art murals. Laws requiring building owners to keep their buildings free of graffiti seem to come down in a troubling gray area.
    That's the problem right there. It's well understood that home and business owners are incapable removing graffiti. They'll come out with harsh chemicals and make it 10 times worse. Or, they'll find proper removal techniques too expensive and not do it all.

So either you have sloppy removal or no removal. And the issue just compounds. As the write-up points out, nothing seems to be left alone. Everything sacred or seemingly out of reach gets destroyed

Graffiti removal is a city problem to deal with. The taxes should be paying for it and without those resources Detroit can't get it done. But it has to start somewhere or nothing will be done about it.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    I'm fine with every tagger and scrapper being shot on site.
    I don't defend or excuse property crimes of any kind, especially the ones that contribute to blight. Rightful condemnation of these activities is expected and warranted on these forums.

Stating that any human being should receive corporal punishment for any crime without due process of law on a public internet forum seems to defeat the point of a civilized society. It also insults the existence of millions of people over human history murdered and dumped in a shallow grave for pursuing a civilized society.

The civil thing to do when catching one is to hand them a courtesy phone and allow them two calls,one to LEO,and one to EMS,which ever one shows up first is their ride.

They do not care about the city or their neighbor or the aftermath that follows.

Seems the exposal didn't please everyone.

And names have been dropped.

There's a saying that you don't mess with someone who buys ink by the barrel. FSL [[Few Screws Loose) and DNR Ranger Frank Toarmina created this sticker/wheat paste and posted it around Detroit because I wrote a story about them defacing public property. In fact, they are among the most egregious vandals in the city. I must admit I like it. But they misspelled "integrity." Now it's time to share the names and faces behind the vandals. We'll start with Frank Toarmina, a tax-funded DNR employee.
    Interesting.

The famous historic seaside town in Sicily is spelled Taormina... wonder if Frank's name is likewise spelled this way??

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Seems the exposal didn't please everyone.

And names have been dropped.

Interesting.

Yeah, this doesn't appear to be trending towards a good ending.

I wonder how much exposure they need to make facial recognition work accurately. There are a few curious pictures posted, and I'd bet that isn't the best of 'em.

That one poor tagger appears to have anorexia.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    The famous historic seaside town in Sicily is spelled Taormina... wonder if Frank's name is likewise spelled this way??
    quick search tells me he has it spelled correctly

you can find him in this tree.
    Last edited by Gannon; March-27-14 at 10:23 AM.

Advisory Committee

wonder what the difference between A [[Seas) and E [[Seas) is...