Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mayor Mike Duggan will make his first State of the City Address.

This is the moment Detroit will be looking for. Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan will make his first State of City Address coming soon. Let's see what progress did he make in the last 2 months as Mayor.

He's conducting a SOTC address already?

gotta get out there and shout that crime is down [[because of the weather) before the gangbangers' guns thaw out and they start shooting each other again.

if the gangs pop a tire in a pothole, they usually dont finish the journey on foot. potholes deter crime! brilliant!

On a superficial note[[?)I'm glad to see this SOTC address being delivered from the CAY auditorium as opposed to Orchestra Hall.

"The change has started, and the change in Detroit is real."

Very short speech on SOTC: "It sux!"

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    He's conducting a SOTC address already?
    It's annual, meaning once every year, such as State of the State or State of the Union. It doesn't matter who is in office or for how long. Are you new to democracy?

Quote Originally Posted by trotwood View Post
    On a superficial note[[?)I'm glad to see this SOTC address being delivered from the CAY auditorium as opposed to Orchestra Hall.
    It was at CAY last year.

Who are you people?

Quote Originally Posted by Poobert View Post

It was at CAY last year.

Who are you people?
    I wasn't commenting on last year's address.
    Thanks though.

Good speech. Glad to see someone working on real problems with some intelligence. I do hope he can get scrapper law through. That'll be a big test of Republican support for Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Very short speech on SOTC: "It sux!"
    I disagree.

While the speech was only 45 minutes, it was cram-packed with real measurable changes made in just 7 weeks. He's all set out a lot of promises in the next 6-12 months.

Duggan has already delivered real change, and if he keeps his promises, which are short-term and measurable, Detroit will be on an upward trajectory.

Duggan is not only addressing the easy to fix issues, he's also making an attempt to help people get jobs.

I watched the speech in its entirety, and I'm very hopeful for Detroit.

I applaud Duggan's proposals.

1. Getting new street lighting.

2. More security in D-DOT busses.

3. Stopping thugs and riff raffs.

4. Declare war against high insurance rates.

5. Eliminating black and blighted ghettohoods.

Duggan is speaking like a REAL Detroit Mayor. Forty years of empty promises will be over soon.

6. Getting tough on scrappers and scrapyards.

[[Aside... so how can this be? A real leader inspiring his citizens. I thought the mayor's office was neutered? Could it be that the mayor has power?)

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post

Duggan is speaking like a REAL Detroit Mayor. Forty years of empty promises will be over soon.
    Hey Danny, You sure about this?

anyone else notice he shook hands with every council member at the end, except cushingberry... i lol'd

I thought the real indication of a better Detroit for everybody is the revelation that the Mayor, and the Council [[and to some extent Orr) are cooperating and he's got rid of layers of unnecessary bureaucracy. I'm sure most of his plans will work if everybody puts their support behind them. This guy comes across as a clear thinker that doesn't consider failure an option.

Whoa....good point there, honky tonk. I'm not too sure about that one. I didn't notice the Cushingberry snub....that's hilarious. Cush doesn't deserve a handshake. He deserves a knuckle sandwich.

Ok Danny, then we're are we going? Let's not go off to the deep ends!

That's an image!

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    Cush doesn't deserve a handshake. He deserves a knuckle sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    Whoa....good point there, honky tonk. I'm not too sure about that one. I didn't notice the Cushingberry snub....that's hilarious. Cush doesn't deserve a handshake. He deserves a knuckle sandwich.
    Watch so the Feds don't arrest you for threatening a public official with bodily harm.

Ha, another good point. I just think that the term knuckle sandwich needs to be re-introduced into popular vernacular. I don't think it's working, though.

I thought it was a very good speech. He's an excellent communicator and speaker. His ability to move an audience and build consensus behind his ideas is outstanding. He had that audience in his hand. Let the honeymoon begin.

We all know the great challenges he and Detroit face and the true test will be in the results. But clearly this man is on top of everything, understands the public services the citizens want, knows how to do the political dance with Lansing and Council and is going after the problems with a vigor I've never seen before.

He is blessed to have the cover of EFM and a clear electoral mandate. Wouldn't it be interesting if Lansing handed him the EFM reigns in September or earlier. It would give him powers beyond his mayoral powers and put him in position to do some big moves.

Good luck and blessings.

Good grief, so many of you front an image of being so All About Detroit, but until this post of 5:46 PM today-- appearing directly above mine-- last night's State of the City Address, which I found to be fairly inspiring, got little notice beyond some lame attempts at irony & limp wit.

5. Eliminating [[blight) and blighted ghettohoods.

I wouldn't call them proposals, these are plans that are in motion, not things he said would be nice to do.

That's the thing about Duggan, he's not making promises, he's making action.

So a little levity is not allowed NickCharles? I guess that makes me not all about Detroit. jeez. The way that he presented his speech was brilliant. Instead of the robotic sound of using a prompter, he did what adds a lot to a speech; he sounded like he spoke from the heart, like he was talking to a group of friends. That method engages people. I like his frank, commonsense delivery and I think he's going to deliver on this plan. I will be checking on the pilot lighting areas...that is one of the more interesting plans, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    I thought it was a very good speech. He's an excellent communicator and speaker. His ability to move an audience and build consensus behind his ideas is outstanding. He had that audience in his hand. Let the honeymoon begin.

We all know the great challenges he and Detroit face and the true test will be in the results. But clearly this man is on top of everything, understands the public services the citizens want, knows how to do the political dance with Lansing and Council and is going after the problems with a vigor I've never seen before.

He is blessed to have the cover of EFM and a clear electoral mandate. Wouldn't it be interesting if Lansing handed him the EFM reigns in September or earlier. It would give him powers beyond his mayoral powers and put him in position to do some big moves.

Good luck and blessings.
    Whether or not Duggan is the EM/EFM doesn't matter. Right now he has the cover. He's probably better off BEFORE September. Now, the EM is doing the dirty work. He can disavow that work -- but enjoy the benefits. Life is good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast