Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default State spends millions on a project. Scrappers immediately cannibalize it.

Hilarious.

You keep sitting on that antiscrap package Lansing. Keep showing the world how smart you are.

The REAL fun begins later this spring/summer.

M1 is going to be a CONSTANT victim of metal thieves. I can't wait to see the fallout.

All I can say is........

Name:  Nelson.JPG
Views: 1615
Size:  31.8 KB

I think it should become legal to shoot a scrapper in the act of scrapping.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    I think it should become legal to shoot a scrapper in the act of scrapping.
    Agreed. I also think it should be legal to shoot anyone in MDOT that thoughts making the poles and access points so easily accessible.

I can see them sitting around a table saying, "How, in all places, can we make the access to wires and poles more accessible in Detroit." Scrappers are scumbags and MDOT are idiots. Makes for a wonderful situation.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
    Agreed. I also think it should be legal to shoot anyone in MDOT that thoughts making the poles and access points so easily accessible.

I can see them sitting around a table saying, "How, in all places, can we make the access to wires and poles more accessible in Detroit." Scrappers are scumbags and MDOT are idiots. Makes for a wonderful situation.

I thought the same thing when I read the article. But then, they probably don't have issues like this in Lansing.

Quote Originally Posted by jt1 View Post

Jt1... what is so unfathomable is that once you hit the Macomb County line at 8 Mile... you will notice that they also replaced the lights and the poles they were attached to... but kept them in the median barrier. Last time I checked the I-94 median, although wider than in Detroit... is still not wide enough for an MDOT truck for median maintenance... and [[you guessed it)... those trucks have to have those flashing big arrows pointing motorists into the next lane.

Also... since we're on an MDOT rant... ever notice that those big LED signs... they're not manned... they're preprogrammed with insipid messages such as "Click it or Ticket"... rather than actually useful traffic snarl-up info...

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Also... since we're on an MDOT rant... ever notice that those big LED signs... they're not manned... they're preprogrammed with insipid messages such as "Click it or Ticket"... rather than actually useful traffic snarl-up info...
    I have to disagree there... I've noticed that quite often they inform about a delay, lane closure or accident... usually its after I'm already in the snarl or long after it's cleared. But, just saying I've seen them say things other than PSA tweets.

Jt1... what is so unfathomable is that once you hit the Macomb County line at 8 Mile... you will notice that they also replaced the lights and the poles they were attached to... but kept them in the median barrier. Last time I checked the I-94 median, although wider than in Detroit... is still not wide enough for an MDOT truck for median maintenance... and [[you guessed it)... those trucks have to have those flashing big arrows pointing motorists into the next lane.

Not always. I've avoided traffic jams by heeding the info on the sign. When there's nothing to report, they tell you the weather, or "your fly's unbuttoned" or something. Still useful info.
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-24-14 at 03:11 PM.

Yep, and that was done not long before the work on 94 in Detroit. Once again, MDOT just makes no sense with their decisions. Perhaps I should start a 'Idiotic things done by MDOT thread.' On the other hand, I don't want to blow up Lowell's servers.

There's one other thing about those side of the road new street lights. Someone who loses control of their car on the freeway and goes off into the embankment... those pole foundations and poles are a safety hazard, and people could get killed. Are drivers lower on the safety pecking order than MDOT workers?

Silly me... I guess I answered my own question....

There's one other thing about those side of the road new street lights. Someone who loses control of their car on the freeway and goes off into the embankment... those pole foundations and poles are a safety hazard, and people could get killed. Are drivers lower on the safety pecking order than MDOT workers?

Silly me... I guess I answered my own question....

I'm rather sure that drivers hitting the 20k pound MDOT trucks would be facing a significant chance of death as well. I have no problem with the placement of the lights, but I really don't understand why they did not make them more resistant to theft and tampering. Something as simple a breakaway harness in the wiring so thieves couldn't pull 40ft or copper wire, or perhaps put the access panel 8ft up the pole so a ladder had to be used to reach it.

Also, I'm not quite sure what's "Hilarious" about scumbags that continue to devour their own city.
    Last edited by Johnnny5; February-24-14 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I'm rather sure that drivers hitting the 20k pound MDOT trucks would facing a significant chance of death as well. I have no problem with the placement of the lights, but I really don't understand why they did not make them more resistant to theft and tampering. Something as simple a breakaway harness in the wiring so thieves couldn't pull 40ft or copper wire, or perhaps put the access panel 8ft up the pole so a ladder had to be used to reach it.
    Well they put a lock on them......

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Well they put a lock on them......
    True, but it may have been one of those really small suitcase locks

Just another failure of engineering. This problem can be engineered out with a scrap proof design. I can only say this so many ways, these type of problems are not brain surgery with unknown possible outcomes, just a simple mechanical/electrical engineering issue that requires viable security measures. The private sector does this kind of thing everyday, get with the program MDOT and have accountability for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Hilarious.

You keep sitting on that antiscrap package Lansing. Keep showing the world how smart you are.

The REAL fun begins later this spring/summer.

M1 is going to be a CONSTANT victim of metal thieves. I can't wait to see the fallout.
    Freeways are dark, neighborhoods are dark, which leads to much of the crime in Detroit, people are plowed down on a near weekly bases on gratiot, but lord forbid we inconvenience a scrape yard owner or some crackhead [[oops legal business owner) that has to keep a log of who is bringing in manhole covers and shopping carts full of aluminum siding. Crime is crazy but no one supports holding the people responsible for buying the scrap.

Detroit would be better off launching satellites that shine light on the city from 100 miles up. Ain't no scrappers in space [[yet)!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnny5 View Post
    I have no problem with the placement of the lights.
    Well you've never experienced watching a guy lose control on the freeway, go up the embankment, hitting an object, and burning to death in his car.

It kind of changes your perspective very quickly....

They are centrally controlled. The silly messages server to purposes:

1) Public Service Announcement
    2) Let's M-DOT and the public know that the sign is functioning properly

Keep in mind that M-DOT and the people are the victims of scrapping. The most anger ought to be directed at the people who need to get a job and stop stealing for a living.

M-DOT does need to get scrap proof designs, but if people called 911 when they saw scrapping, and if the police responded quickly, this wouldn't be an issue. Also, I do agree we need scrapping laws passed, this is getting ridiculous.

Basically, anytime someone invests in Detroit, Detroit tears it down.

- New light poles? SCRAP THE WIRE!
    - Someone makes art out of houses? BURN THE HOUSES DOWN!
    - There's a couple nice houses left on the block? I BET THEY HAVE FLAT SCREENS!

Detroit needs to fix Detroit, outsiders such as myself want to help, but when investments and good things are destroyed it seems hopeless.

The biggest way for Detroit to fix Detroit is to get a functioning and responsive police department that is feared by criminals. Right now when people see DPD cars they don't even slow down when speeding.

"- New light poles? SCRAP THE WIRE!
    - Someone makes art out of houses? BURN THE HOUSES DOWN!
    - There's a couple nice houses left on the block? I BET THEY HAVE FLAT SCREENS!"

Install a new bus stop, smash the glass.

Get a new business in the community, rob it daily then burn it down. Proceed to complain no one cares about Detroit. "We ain't got nothing here".

It's really frustrating to say the least. I really don't understand how Detroiters can loot and destroy their own neighborhoods. I have never seen this happen in any other community in predominantly black communities across the US.

The State could have spent this $3M of my tax Dollars anywhere else in Michigan and it would have been a valuable asset for everybody that used the area. Instead they spent it in Detroit and nobody benefits. Why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by coracle View Post
    The State could have spent this $3M of my tax Dollars anywhere else in Michigan and it would have been a valuable asset for everybody that used the area. Instead they spent it in Detroit and nobody benefits. Why bother?
    Your tax money is NO better than mine sent from Detroit.

Despite what you've been told.

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    Your tax money is NO better than mine sent from Detroit.

Despite what you've been told.
    I haven't "been told" anything; whatever that is supposed to mean; I only learned about it from you. And if you want your tax dollars wasted on a project in Detroit be my guest. I'm just making the point I regret mine was used; and I don't think the episode is "hilarious".
    Last edited by coracle; February-25-14 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by astongraham View Post
    I really don't understand how Detroiters can loot and destroy their own neighborhoods. I have never seen this happen in any other community in predominantly black communities across the US.
    99 percent of Detroiters are not destroying their neighborhoods, but the one percent more than make up for it.

You need to understand that there are very few police actually in the City these days. This means that a lot of the crime goes unchecked. Lack of enforcement is the issue, not the overwhelming majority of the people.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in..._police_o.html
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; February-25-14 at 04:39 PM.

MDOT made a error on a 3.2 mill project? Something went wrong? Seriously right? This is not the only time that they screwed up or will it be the last. One needs to only to drive a mile on our roads to know that these guys might not be the sharpest tools in the shed. To blame this particular issue on anything other that whoever didn't take into account the environment of the project is kinda insane.

Just because it might be more likely that someone might steal the park bench in Brighton than Birmingham doesn't mean you only put park benches in Birmingham. Chain the damn benches down when they need it and move on. Again, this is not brain surgery.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast