Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Guess somebody's not too happy with Craig.

Headlines are that somebody put a contract out on him. Or at least the desire for one.

He thinks it's one of the druggies pissed at him for cutting into their business. Maybe, maybe not.

Yes, the rest of us whose rabbit-ear internet antennae pull in more than DY heard about that.
    What's a "druggie?"

He's really stepped up raiding drughouses in the past month. He's making progress, so naturally these thugs aren't happy he's slowing down their money train.

Doing good work can make enemies. I love the chief and hope he sticks around for a long, long time. I would like to see him take over all emergency services, better integrating them, improving response times, and developing better coordination with other SE Michigan police/fire/medical services.

Considering the financial stake so many people have in a dysfunctional detroit, and the violence they use in their daily lives to get what they want, I think the police cheif, city council, and mayor should be getting death threads regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    Yes, the rest of us whose rabbit-ear internet antennae pull in more than DY heard about that.
    What's a "druggie?"
    Druggie is a term that old suburbanites use to describe those that hang out with those frightening "thugs".
    "Thugs" and "druggie" are the terms old people use just like "twerking" and "oh my god" is used by the other group of people that they tend to hate.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Doing good work can make enemies. I love the chief and hope he sticks around for a long, long time. I would like to see him take over all emergency services, better integrating them, improving response times, and developing better coordination with other SE Michigan police/fire/medical services.
    That sounds good to me

Sounds like the raids and his policies are making an impact. Notice we never heard a thing about retribution previously when drugs flowed uninterrupted and the murder rate was near 400 yearly. MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, this guy gets it and he is going to turn things around here.

5 arrests have been made in connection to the threats. One suspect is from Los Angeles.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...t-Police-chief

EXCELLENT! They're not screwing around!

However, none of them were arrested for the threat:

"“We believe those arrested were people who promoted or facilitated the communication of the threat,” Johnson said, adding that the man who actually made the threat has not yet been arrested.

Four of the men were arrested for outstanding warrants, the other for a narcotics offense, Johnson said."
    http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...099/1409/METRO

If it's even a threat at all. It's in street slang, so it could be taken a number of ways. Even a fair defense lawyer could make a Free Speech case.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    However, none of them were arrested for the threat:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...099/1409/METRO

If it's even a threat at all. It's in street slang, so it could be taken a number of ways. Even a fair defense lawyer could make a Free Speech case.
    The Feds are not the Keystone Cops everyone makes them out to be. Don't you think they just might have taken that into consideration?

If the Secret Service couldn't make a case against Nugent, I don't see a case here.

They would have to show it went beyond a few words posted on the web. They would have to show some planning and that an actual threat existed; that a plan was in motion to do him harm.

If the Secret Service couldn't make a case against Nugent, I don't see a case here.

They would have to show it went beyond a few words posted on the web. They would have to show some planning and that an actual threat existed; that a plan was in motion to do him harm.
    Meddle, you missed my point. You might be absolutely correct that the Feds don't have a strong case against these guys for "threat with intent to do bodily harm". My point was the Feds know that. Therefore they dug through their background history, and nailed them on outstanding warrants. You know, kinda like Capone and the tax evasion thing.

And my point was they were arrested for other things, not the threat. If the person who actually posted the statement doesn't have any other outstanding charges or warrants, I don't see how they could be arrested for the post alone.

more distractions while chief craig does little to fix the dpd nor the crime in the d.

And my point was they were arrested for other things, not the threat. If the person who actually posted the statement doesn't have any other outstanding charges or warrants, I don't see how they could be arrested for the post alone.
    Sorry, but if someone makes a direct or indirect threat against the police chief of a major US city, you can bet said police chief is going to use every means available within the law [[and maybe slightly beyond) to make that persons life a living hell. If it was me, I know I would.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    more distractions while chief craig does little to fix the dpd nor the crime in the d.
    The reports I'm reading tell me he's doing a sterling job. He sounds like a success to be proud of. Are you by any chance writing from the opposing side and have different info?

Got it, and you're right. As is TKshreve. I'd be following and writing this guy up if his socks didn't match his outfit.

coracle, I'm also interested in your reasoning behind your statement. It seems to me that he's been kicking ass since he's become the chief. He hasn't been in charge that long and it's going to take more time than a half a year to make an impact in some of the neighborhoods. Still, he's headed up some huge busts. However, I would like to see what the crime numbers will be in the next few months.

What is your reasoning behind that statement? Major crime is down, murders are down, he's conducting major raids weekly, all the while trying to turn morale around and trying to fix a broken system. From all accounts, it sounds like he's doing a pretty damn good job so far. Especially with what the guy has to work with in terms of faulty/broken equipment and reduced manpower.

sorry gentlemen, just my opinion, dont have facts to back it up.

wish i could see the arrest numbers compared to last year...

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Departments...tatistics.aspx

click on Crime Statistics Ending 12-18-2013

Stolen Vehicle
    2012 11,991
    2013 12,948
    -7%

down 7% ? they meant up 7%.

is it just a small typo? could happen to anyone?
    or a bigger problem with crime statistics in detroit?

near 1,000 more stolen cars. almost 3 more cars per day than last year.
    Last edited by compn; February-26-14 at 02:28 PM.

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Departments...tatistics.aspx

click on Crime Statistics Ending 12-18-2013

Stolen Vehicle
    2012 11,991
    2013 12,948
    -7%

down 7% ? they meant up 7%.

is it just a small typo? could happen to anyone?
    or a bigger problem with crime statistics in detroit?

near 1,000 more stolen cars. almost 3 more cars per day than last year.
    I'm not going to get into defending Craig, because I feel it's too early to tell, and I'm still on the fence about him, but one of the reasons for the discrepency, [[other then the obvious type-o) is previously, numbers could have been stacked to make it look like an impact was being made. If honest numbers are now being presented, then yes, it's possible that it looks like crime is on the rise.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast