Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default 3 different Detroit homeowners defend themselves against intruders...

3 different Detroit homeowners used guns to defend themselves against intruders this week

Applied push-back as homeowners say 'NO'! Really frightening was the armed man waiting for the woman in her driveway!

From report:

The second incident happened around 12:30 Saturday morning on Abington on Detroit’s west side. A woman had just pulled her car into the garage when a man with a gun appeared out of nowhere. She dropped her keys on the ground as a distraction and then reached for her own gun and shot and killed him.

“People are told, that when faced with a situation, whether a robbery or carjacking, just to drop your belongings right there. That’s what she did taking a few steps back to obtain her weapon which was a .38 caliber handgun. She was able to fire off several shots,” said Deputy Chief Johnson.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/region/wayn...ders-this-week
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-23-14 at 08:23 AM.

Mother: "But he was such a nice boy....."

Thoughts of female homeowner in driveway facing a man with a gun:

"I hope he'll be happy with the leftover spaghetti and taking the flat-screen TV.... Then on the other hand..."
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-23-14 at 08:53 AM.

GUSHI Guest

At the rate this is going Detroits population is going to be under 600K next cenus.

Tell me even crackheads won't get the message. Now tell me how this situation would be better if the victim was unarmed, please.

YAY! That's how fight back against the crooks. With a piece!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    YAY! That's how fight back against the crooks. With a piece!
    Give piece a chance......

This is by far the best "talk" on concealed carry and self defense I have seen on the web so far.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1285487_.html

"No one wakes up in the morning one day and decides to become an armed robber. It is a gradual process that requires some experience and desensitizing. Before a man will pick up a gun and threaten to kill people who have done him no harm in order to get their usually meager possessions he has to get comfortable with some things.

He has to get used to seeing others as objects for him to exploit. He has to accept he may be killed while robbing. He has to accept the felony conviction for Robbery will haunt him all his life. He has to accept he may need to kill a completely innocent person to get away with his crime.

This is a process that starts with stealing candy at the corner store as a child. It progresses through bigger property crimes that may also involve violence. But one day G gets tired of selling his stolen property for nothing and decides it would be better to steal cash. Cut out all that tiresome sales stuff."
    Last edited by Dan Wesson; February-23-14 at 09:58 AM.

This is sad but good to see people protecting themselves. The only problem with these stories is the gun nuts who love to use them. It's always the people in the middle of nowhere, where their neighbor is 2 miles away, or in a lily white suburb talking about "protecting their family". The things we encounter that require protecting yourself rarely if ever happen where you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Wesson View Post
    This is by far the best "talk" on ...
    Hardly an impartial source.

More like propaganda to increase weapons and ammunition manufacturer's revenue.

^^^ Umm, why does it need to be so impartial? Those on the other side are not by default 'impartial'. Then there are some who are agnostic re. gun use, preferring to not need to respond with one, yet NOT wanting to be a victim.

As I have said before here, I really don't think that many gun owners in the D are 'Charleston Heston' style NRA members. The narrative of the so-called right-wing gun nut doesn't fit so neatly the average licensed gun owner opting for such as a measure of safety for themselves and their family.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-23-14 at 02:25 PM.

This is by far the best "talk" on concealed carry and self defense I have seen on the web so far.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1285487_.html
    Interesting read, but seeing the phrase "pistol handling is not rocket surgery" really cut deeply into my willingness to trust the guy's judgment about anything as important as self-defense or gun usage.

Where are the usual two that always wanna argue that these poor gentlemen were only trying to provide for their family?
    Glad these homeowners were able to protect themselves from these thugs. A couple more idiots off the streets if Detroit, yaay

Yeah, there were a few roads the posting went down that I could not go, but over all I felt the assessment of motive and characteristic of assailant on you with a gun was pretty spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    Interesting read, but seeing the phrase "pistol handling is not rocket surgery" really cut deeply into my willingness to trust the guy's judgment about anything as important as self-defense or gun usage.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Yeah, there were a few roads the posting went down that I could not go, but over all I felt the assessment of motive and characteristic of assailant on you with a gun was pretty spot on.
    Yeah, I agree; it's just that it's discouraging-- especially when a guy seems to be on a good roll-- to see him reinforce the "gun-nuts are all knuckle-draggers" stereotype.
    "Rocket surgery." HAR!!!!

Carrying a legal concealed firearm places a much higher level of responsibility on a person. Carrying a legally concealed firearm is not for everyone. If you have any doubts about being able to attain a license or opening yourself to a few more laws that you have to worry about then don't.

It's a shame that regular citizens are being forced by circumstances outside of their control to resorting to armed self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by NickCharles View Post
    Yeah, I agree; it's just that it's discouraging-- especially when a guy seems to be on a good roll-- to see him reinforce the "gun-nuts are all knuckle-draggers" stereotype.
    "Rocket surgery." HAR!!!!
    I thought the the stereotypical "gun nut" was a right wing, tobacco spittin', pickup drivin', red neck?

But what do I know?

Another piece of advice concerning legally defending life and liberty ...

https://www.google.com/#q=concealed+carry+insurance

I thought the the stereotypical "gun nut" was a right wing, tobacco spittin', pickup drivin', red neck?

But what do I know?
    What are your stereotypical views of an Obamaphone owner, or a environmental activist, or a union organizer?

I thought it was rocket science.

A big fat "OH WELL". I'm not big on guns, and I don't own one. If I lived in Detroit I probably would. Out in the burbs I feel like my gun is more likely to hurt someone in my family than an intruder that will hopefully never come.

I'm glad people in Detroit are giving these thugs a reason to think twice before they target their next victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    I thought it was rocket science.

And brain surgery.

Good grief.
    How low does the bar have to be set, around here?

It's time to reconsider humane mantraps in Detroit.
    Historically, mantraps were mechanical devices for catching poachers and trespassers....

Mantraps that use deadly force are illegal in the United States, and there have been notable tort law cases where the trespasser has successfully sued the property owner for damages caused by the mantrap. As noted in the important US court case of Katko v. Briney, "the law has always placed a higher value upon human safety than upon mere rights of property."

Default Another B&E goes lethal on the perp

Johnson said the woman, who is in her 50s, will be questioned by officers but is not expected to be arrested or face charges because she was protecting herself. She called 911 after the shooting, he said.

http://www.freep.com/article/2014022...-home-invasion

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast