Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default winter wonderland skating rink

anyone remember the winter wonderland skating rink over on schoolcraft back in the 60's?

Spent a lot of time there, in the 60's. When I was young, I would go on Saturdays with friends and spend a large part of the day. Getting a hot dog/hot chocolate while they shoveled. I loved the outdoor rink best, especially on a cold, crisp day.

When I was in high school, we would skate there Friday nights. By that time, the indoor rink had replaced the outdoor one. It was nice [[I'm sure the hockey players liked it better), but it was never the same for me.

I believe there is a thread in the old forum that discusses the rink. You might want to search over there.

Winter Wonderland Ice Skating Center is now Detroit Roller Wheels.

Played some games at the indoor rink when I was in squirts. We took a team photo there. The team was sponsored by a union local, and some of the "business agents" were in the picture with us with their long coats and hats, looked like a scene out of Goodfellas.

Used to go up there to skate with girls listening to Frankie Valli's Sherry in the early 60's.
    The Red Wings Bill Gatsby was always in there it seemed.

What it looks like now.

Does anyone know when the owner John McErlane died?
    When did it change to a roller rink?

Quote Originally Posted by daddeeo View Post
    Used to go up there to skate with girls listening to Frankie Valli's Sherry in the early 60's.
    The Red Wings Bill Gatsby was always in there it seemed.
    It's with 'd' rather than 't' and pronounced Gadsby. Anyway, Bill Gadsby lived nearby on Memorial back then.