Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Illegal alcohol being poured out during prohibition, Detroit, 1929

A friend sent me this via e-mail. Is this a result of an alcohol bust, ya think?

Quote Originally Posted by gazhekwe View Post
    A friend sent me this via e-mail. Is this a result of an alcohol bust, ya think?

A red "X" in a box? I don't think so.

I think this is the subject photo:
    Name:  Illegally stored alcohol is poured directly from the window during Prohibition Detroit 1929 low .jpg
Views: 6699
Size:  33.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    I think this is the subject photo:
    Name:  Illegally stored alcohol is poured directly from the window during Prohibition Detroit 1929 low .jpg
Views: 6699
Size:  33.6 KB
    Thanx, I couldn't resist. I'm looking @ the photo on a phone screen and it's hard to tell, is that smoke to the top left of the building?

[[Did you copy the photo into Word, then open it?)
    Last edited by Honky Tonk; February-21-14 at 06:22 PM.

I remember walking to Rose elementry school and on Baldwin by Medbury them revenuers were dumping a lot of corn mash out a second story window onto the side walk. I haven't thought about that for years.

That's OK, my grandpa has a lot more in his basement.

Prohibition, Raids, Detroit, 1929
    Alcohol, discovered by Prohibition agents during a raid on an illegal distillery, pours out of upper windows of three--story storefront in Detroit during Prohibition
    It's a fantasy shower for Barney Gumble of The Simpsons.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Thanx, I couldn't resist. I'm looking @ the photo on a phone screen and it's hard to tell, is that smoke to the top left of the building?

[[Did you copy the photo into Word, then open it?)
    I think that dirt and/or mold on the negative has affected the quality of the image.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    I think that dirt and/or mold on the negative has affected the quality of the image.
    I'm on a real computer now, and I can see that, Thanx. Could be a prohibition bust. It looks like an awful lot of something coming out those windows, though. If it was alcohol, they sure were making a large quantity of it.

I'm on a real computer now, and I can see that, Thanx. Could be a prohibition bust. It looks like an awful lot of something coming out those windows, though. If it was alcohol, they sure were making a large quantity of it.
    The Walter Reuther Library caption for this Detroit News photo reads:

"Prohibition, Raids, Detroit, 1929 - Alcohol, discovered by Prohibition agents during a raid on an illegal distillery, pours out of upper windows of three--story storefront in Detroit during Prohibition."

It looks like an awful lot of something coming out those windows, though. If it was alcohol, they sure were making a large quantity of it.
    Lucky there were no smokers on the street ...
    but flammability can depend on ambient temper-
    ature, humidity, and alcohol proof.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol#Flammability
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_proof

EtOH is manufactured in increasing quantities today:

Last edited by beachboy; February-24-14 at 03:43 AM.

Damn, what a waste. That could've kept me in alcohol back when, for a least 2-3 weeks.