Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Another Great Police Raid

Fantastic. I am actually anxious [[10 months early) to see the end-of-year crime states. I had previously thought that the DPD was just fighting defensively. Now, I think, they are playing to win. Thanks to all law enforcement!

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...crime-hotspots

The amount of cooperation in all these LE agency's to go after bad guys with guns aggressively is very telling about chief Craig's respect among his peers and his determination to curb the violence in the city.

I like Craig but what an uphill battle he has. I would like him to be a spokesman for LEAP. He knows damn well he is fighting a losing battle against drugs. He seems like the kind of guy who would rather be doing real police work and not raiding two bit dope houses. Go ahead and squeeze the sausage, the drug problems will always move but never go away..

http://www.leap.cc/

What I really like most about the Chief is that he is not just reacting to events but taking it to the criminals.

Two bit drug houses ? I have seen whole neighborhoods wrecked in a short amount of time because of drug houses. Is it fair to everyone that owns houses around a drug house that their property values went down because of illegal activity. I don't think these house were raided over a little weed

Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
    I like Craig but what an uphill battle he has. I would like him to be a spokesman for LEAP. He knows damn well he is fighting a losing battle against drugs. He seems like the kind of guy who would rather be doing real police work and not raiding two bit dope houses. Go ahead and squeeze the sausage, the drug problems will always move but never go away..

http://www.leap.cc/
    I 100% agree with your assessment of the crux of the problem but it doesn't change the fact we have to go after the illegal guns immediately because they are being used to kill people.

Two bit drug houses are part of the broken windows concept. Keep the small stuff at bay and the big stuff will be reduced. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broken_windows_theory

Quote Originally Posted by ddaydetroit View Post
    Two bit drug houses ? I have seen whole neighborhoods wrecked in a short amount of time because of drug houses. Is it fair to everyone that owns houses around a drug house that their property values went down because of illegal activity. I don't think these house were raided over a little weed
    I understand what your saying dday but I could argue that the DD's have moved into these houses because of their location. Many dope houses are set up in abandominiums. Is it the chicken or the egg?
    The only way order will be restored is if we decriminalize, legalize, and hopefully tax drugs. Take the profit motive out of the equation and the DPD will have time to catch real criminals as well as getting DD's and their guns out of the picture.

And they mostly are two bit drug houses. Usually an abandoned taken over by a a guy who moves his operation from house to house every time they get raided. Nothing changes except the house they work out of. They generally stay in the same area too.
    I know of streets that are maintained by the dealers. Nothing goes down on these streets that is wrong. They sell their product but there is no bs happening on that block. The dealers act as the police. Its clean and safe.

I predict that 50 years from now our kids will look back on this war as a disgrace to our nation, an embarrassment like slavery. I dont mean to trivialize slavery but we do have more more people behind bars for non violent drug crimes now than we did slaves in the 1800's.

And they mostly are two bit drug houses. Usually an abandoned taken over by a a guy who moves his operation from house to house every time they get raided. Nothing changes except the house they work out of. They generally stay in the same area too.
    I know of streets that are maintained by the dealers. Nothing goes down on these streets that is wrong. They sell their product but there is no bs happening on that block. The dealers act as the police. Its clean and safe.
    A honest question, [[this board isn't big on answering them) I lack the experience or knowledge of the blocks you are speaking of.

Do the "dealers act as police" use violence with guns or murder to keep the "BS" out of the block? How do they do it? Keep competitors out, thieves that might want to steal from them or clients that have little regard for human life when they come into said block?

Im not going the mention the block. It just seems to be a common understanding among the people who live on the block that if the DDs can do their thing without incident the DDs keep the violence out of the area. Ive never seen or heard of a problem on that block except for a police raid. Ive never known of any violence on that block. Its a bit of an anomaly I admit.
    Last edited by Django; February-20-14 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Crown Russe

Im not going the mention the block. It just seems to be a common understanding among the people who live on the block that if the DDs can do their thing without incident the DDs keep the violence out of the area. Ive never seen or heard of a problem on that block except for a police raid. Ive never known of any violence on that block. Its a bit of an anomaly I admit.
    You've never seen a problem on that block. Ok. But the people living on that block include such model citizens with outstanding warrants for robbery, home invasions, and random assaults.

I'm all for the decriminalization of marijuana. I think it's a waste of time and energy going after something that should never have been a illegal to begin with. But just because I think weed should be legal doesn't give drug dealers and people involved in drug distribution free license to just do whatever the f**k they want.

If we don't punish criminals for home invasions and assaults, all that does is send the message that we don't punish criminals for home invasions and assaults.

Cheers to Craig. Now let's hope that Wayne County has the resources to prosecute.

Then if what u say is true leave them alone for christ sake. My only concern is preserving human life, that is all that matters, leave the guns out of it. If it can function without the death it would be a bigger argument for decriminalazation/legalization actually getting attention because they have been piling up dead bodies for years and years and know one seems care enough to change jack shit in regards to substance laws. Maybe a model that has removed violence could be a game changer. We could only hope.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    You've never seen a problem on that block. Ok. But the people living on that block include such model citizens with outstanding warrants for robbery, home invasions, and random assaults.

I'm all for the decriminalization of marijuana. I think it's a waste of time and energy going after something that should never have been a illegal to begin with. But just because I think weed should be legal doesn't give drug dealers and people involved in drug distribution free license to just do whatever the f**k they want.

If we don't punish criminals for home invasions and assaults, all that does is send the message that we don't punish criminals for home invasions and assaults.

Cheers to Craig. Now let's hope that Wayne County has the resources to prosecute.
    We dont have an argument. I dont know what the people on that block have on their record, all I know is thats its a healthy block for the most part.

I dont think drug dealers should be able to do whatever they want, I think they should be regulated.

Im not sure where assaults and home invasions came into the convo, thats really a different animal.

We dont have an argument. I dont know what the people on that block have on their record, all I know is thats its a healthy block for the most part.

I dont think drug dealers should be able to do whatever they want, I think they should be regulated.

Im not sure where assaults and home invasions came into the convo, thats really a different animal.
    WOW, I had no idea! If I were you, I would request an audience with Mayor Duggan, and present the prospect of "putting a drug dealer on every block". Think of how much money this would save the City! In fact, the City could either get a cut, or tax the drug dealers and MAKE money. And you're right, the drug dealers would police their blocks, keep them clean, regular garbage and bulk pick-up days. Maybe host Drug Block Parties? I had no idea drug dealers were so civic minded. And the fact they don't allow home invasions on THEIR blocks is an added bonus. If there are home invasions are on OTHER blocks, that's too damn bad. Either move into the block with the drug dealer, or get your own drug dealer to take care of your block. I think you're on to something here. I would say this is right up there with renaming Breaking and Entering to "Urban Spelunking", or Defacing Private Property with "Street Art". Thanx for enlightening us all on the benefits of neighborhood drug dealing. All those newspaper stories of home invasions, property loss, and murders, pure B/S.

Drug dealing bring prostitution and petty crime such as theft. It can often escalate to home evasion. I disagree that drug houses are harmless to neighborhoods.

I sure as hell don't want them close to me.

Sorry...should've cited the source.
    Called “Operation Eye to Eye,” police said they were targeting criminals who sold narcotics or preyed on residents. Police say arrests were made for a range of crimes, including weapons charges, robbery, narcotics, home invasion and various assaults. Authorities arrested 21 individuals on felony charges and 22 were held on misdemeanors. Detroit Police officers were assisted by the Michigan State Police, U.S. Marshals, Wayne County Sheriff’s Department, FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...#ixzz2txlk3n7o

forgive me for being extra critical but the only success in any of this was taking some weapons off the street. The drugs and the dealers have already been replaced. The desire for these drugs is still there. I just cant help but to think there has to be a better way. It just doesn't seem right

rex has made my point. I have no love of drug dealers or the streets they run, good or bad. If someone thinks we can somehow win this war on drugs by busting dope house after dope house you must have your head far up your ass. I have seen blocks being taken care of by DD's better than the city though. I'll admit its very uncommon. I never said it was a solution only a sad result of the current system.

There was this street that ran right into Van Dyke beyond Harper [[can't remember the name right now, I think it began with an R) that was very occupied with families and taken over by drug dealers, right out in the open, as brazen as can be - the cops had to be in on it. The street was a hell hole, unless you were using that shit, nobody could have possibly been happy about living in a situation like that.

400 police officers, 43 arrests.
    so ten cops to make one arrest.

do you want police to focus on marijuana or breakins, burglars, robbers, home invaders murderers etc?

this is a marijuana raid.
    the last raids were marijuana raids.
    the future raids will be marijuana raids.

legalize it, decriminalize it, let people grow it, sell it cheaply in liquor stores and tax it.
    alcohol prohibition didnt work and marijuana prohibition isnt working either!
    Last edited by compn; February-21-14 at 11:43 PM.

So we need 10 more legal ways for people to get wasted ? If drugs are legalized, like some propose, how are these people who can now use them legally going to stay employed ? And once hooked and now unemployed how are they going to buy what they need ? I don't buy the argument that drugs don't cause crime. They will do what ever it takes to buy their next high. I don't have a solution, but adding to the problem isn't any answer.

Quote Originally Posted by lpg View Post
    So we need 10 more legal ways for people to get wasted ? If drugs are legalized, like some propose, how are these people who can now use them legally going to stay employed ? And once hooked and now unemployed how are they going to buy what they need ? I don't buy the argument that drugs don't cause crime. They will do what ever it takes to buy their next high. I don't have a solution, but adding to the problem isn't any answer.
    I'm guessing the same way alcoholics stay employed. You do realize alcohol IS the #1 addictive substance, and the #1 killer?

yea lpg. You realize most everyone that wants to do drugs is already doing them right? What you wrote may well be the dumbest thing i read or heard all day. Way to go!!!

These raids remind me a lot of a few years ago when the Lions won every preseason game and lost ever regular season game.
    Looks great in the news tho right?
    ... right.

Apparently the raids have done enough to cause death threats against the chief.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...t-Police-chief

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast