Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What is the name of the cross street in this photo from 1966?

I found this picture on line and it was tagged: "A view of downtown Detroit, taken from the corner of Gratiot and an unidentified street."
    Does anyone know what the "Unidentified Street" is named?
    Thanks for any and all input.Name:  Gratiot 1960's.jpg
Views: 2305
Size:  41.9 KB

Is it Broadway?

Is it Randolph?

The Detroit Yellow Pages from 1943 identifies two locations for Moskin's. One at Jos. Campau the other on W. Vernor. believe the hoto is Jos. Campau and Gratiot...

I kind of doubt it's Joseph Campau and Gratiot.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=josep...=12,166.2,,0,0

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Is it Broadway?
    Looks like it was taken from the northwest corner of Gratiot and Broadway looking north. You can see the Harvard Square Building along the right side of the picture and the parking garage that preceded the Opera House parking garage along the right side of the photo. And the Fyfe Building in the distance up the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
    Looks like it was taken from the northwest corner of Gratiot and Broadway looking north. You can see the Harvard Square Building along the right side of the picture and the parking garage that preceded the Opera House parking garage along the right side of the photo. And the Fyfe Building in the distance up the street.
    I think you might be right. I believe the parking garage is what threw me off. I thought it was the one on Monroe and Randolph, and didn't know there was another downtown.

Yep NW Corner is Broadway.

The address 229 Gratiot---Cary Building. Broadway is the cross street.

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    I think you might be right. I believe the parking garage is what threw me off. I thought it was the one on Monroe and Randolph, and didn't know there was another downtown.
    Yep. That's the Cary Building. Look at the brick. Looks the same today [[without the storefronts, of course).

Here's the view looking the other way. Good job.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=rando...5,,0,2.92&z=19

I remember Broadway in the 60's - worked at Hudson's and got sandwiches at the Broadway Market - but does anyone remember that supermarket in the parking structure across the street? I seemed like a full-size supermarket like any A&P of that era. Some people from work would get their groceries there before picking up their cars and driving home to the suburbs. I also had some friends who lived in a small apartment house near Madison and Brush [[across from the Music Hall) who shopped there. Any chance of a new supermarket that close to the center of town? It could change a lot of people's attitudes toward living downtown if they didn't have to drive to shop at a real supermarket.
    Last edited by A2Mike; February-20-14 at 01:58 PM.

I remember the supermarket in that garage. I wanted to say it was a Wrigley's, but you may be right that it was an A&P. Part of the reason for it being there was the brief effort in the '60s to remake Harmonie Park and the nearby area as an "arts district", complete with galleries, artists, and [[hopefully) arts-supporting people living there. Later on, the famous Paul's Cut-Rate Drugs moved across Broadway into that space for many years.

That parking garage was either owned by or had a deal with Hudson's. A lot of employees parked there and for a little while they gave discounts to Hudson's shoppers. So the supermarket was very convenient for Hudson's employees like my grandmother.

The view is roughly this one:

Name:  broadway gratiot.jpg
Views: 1483
Size:  29.2 KB

But just a little over to the right, so you can just see the signs that hung from the storefronts on the west side of Broadway. And the lens that was used distorts the distances, making the building on the right [[which I believe is the Merchant's Building at Broadway and Grand River, not the Harvard Square Building) appear closer than it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by A2Mike View Post
    I remember Broadway in the 60's - worked at Hudson's and got sandwiches at the Broadway Market -
    What year was the Broadway market destroyed by fire? My mind says 1961, but I might be wrong.

I used to walk this landscape and I find it sad to see it so barren.

I don't think Broadway Market was destroyed by fire, it was closed and quickly demolished for the parking lot that existed until the Z Garage was constructed. Gratiot Central Market was destroyed by fired a few years back, was closed for a couple of years and finally rebuilt with a few less of the old time stalls. I remember the old dry grocer that was in the center of GCM...old Jewish couple dressed in crisp white long doctor style smocks. A deligtful throwback to the Broadway Market where they had relocate from when that market closed. I'd settle for a good Jewish Deli right downtown.
    Last edited by detroitbob; February-20-14 at 08:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    I remember the supermarket in that garage. I wanted to say it was a Wrigley's, but you may be right that it was an A&P. Part of the reason for it being there was the brief effort in the '60s to remake Harmonie Park and the nearby area as an "arts district", complete with galleries, artists, and [[hopefully) arts-supporting people living there. Later on, the famous Paul's Cut-Rate Drugs moved across Broadway into that space for many years.

That parking garage was either owned by or had a deal with Hudson's. A lot of employees parked there and for a little while they gave discounts to Hudson's shoppers. So the supermarket was very convenient for Hudson's employees like my grandmother.
    It's hard to remember now that you once could lead a pretty regular life living right in the middle of downtown. Not many opted for it - the Jefferson Avenue string of "Gold Coast" style buildings were very tempting - but someone who worked in the central core of town could do it with only a 10-15 minute walk to work or anything else. There's a great building called the Town Apartments just north of the phone buildings and many years ago I thought it would be cool to live there and walk to Luigi's Pizza, Eastman's Gaslight, the Michigan Theater, Hudson's, La Lanterna, or even just to Kwikee Donuts. Good thing I didn't I follow up on that notion!

Quote Originally Posted by detroitbob View Post
    I don't think Broadway Market was destroyed by fire... Gratiot Central Market was destroyed by fired a few years back
    November 1966

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    ...making the building on the right [[which I believe is the Merchant's Building at Broadway and Grand River, not the Harvard Square Building) appear closer than it really is.
    Right you are, EastsideAl! It's the Merchant's Building, which sits north of The Harvard Square Building. Thanks for the correction!!

A2Mike, Papa Joe's is supposed to open sometime this spring in the First National building. That's an easy walk from most downtown apartments.

Quote Originally Posted by A2Mike View Post
    It's hard to remember now that you once could lead a pretty regular life living right in the middle of downtown. Not many opted for it - the Jefferson Avenue string of "Gold Coast" style buildings were very tempting - but someone who worked in the central core of town could do it with only a 10-15 minute walk to work or anything else. There's a great building called the Town Apartments just north of the phone buildings and many years ago I thought it would be cool to live there and walk to Luigi's Pizza, Eastman's Gaslight, the Michigan Theater, Hudson's, La Lanterna, or even just to Kwikee Donuts. Good thing I didn't I follow up on that notion!
    Remember Dick LeBeau with the Detroit Lions? He lived in the Townhouse Apartments at 1st & Bagley for most of the years he played with the Lions. Several professional athletes lived there. It was walking distance to the all places you mentioned along with Lindell A.C. and Tiger Stadium. The weird part of it all was it was in the middle of the old Michigan Avenue Skid Row until 1963.

scans from Google Books of a trade publication from Mar 29, 1913 describing interior and interior of Old Broadway Market...note arrow/pge up for the first pages of the article

http://books.google.com/books?id=iNz...etroit&f=false
    Last edited by detroitbob; February-21-14 at 03:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by archfan View Post
    A2Mike, Papa Joe's is supposed to open sometime this spring in the First National building. That's an easy walk from most downtown apartments.
    Don't hold your breath on the opening of Papa Joes this spring. No signs of movement in the First National Bldg where to market will be and the city had laid off or privatize the bldg. and safety inspectors making opening a business in Detroit painstakenly slow. Thanks to Orr, Bing, and Snyder. Had Papa Joes in the Ren Cen opened yet?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast