Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Just when you thought it couldn't get this violent in the inner-ring suburbs...

WYANDOTTE — Certain times of the night, especially on weekends, can get extremely busy for police. One of those times is when bars close.

That was the case just after 2 a.m. Sunday when police were called about a large fight at Do’Hickey’s bar and restaurant, 232 Maple St.

Police said that just prior to officers being informed of the situation, they had been sent to the area of 19th Street, near Clark, concerning a large group of people fighting at that location.

According to a police report, all Wyandotte officers necessary to break up both fights were unavailable, so Southgate police were called for backup.

When the first officer arrived, he saw between 20 to 30 people loitering, arguing and fighting in the street outside the bar. Alcohol containers and debris were strewn throughout the area. Multiple people fled when they saw police.

The reporting officer said that as soon as he was available, he headed to the 19th Street fight scene to provide assistance. Every unit at the location had multiple people in the rear of their vehicles and were still attempting to disperse the unruly crowd. Several arrests were made at the 19th Street incident, leaving no available officers.

“Due to manpower issues, multiple prisoners already being processed and other police matters needing to be addressed, I was unable to make any arrests at Do’Hickey’s,” the officer said in his report.

Police said glass and furniture had been broken inside the bar, and the officer noted there were blood spots on the bar floor where the fight broke out.
    http://www.thenewsherald.com/article...7216989471.txt

Yes, that's right, not one, but two riot-like situations here in Wyandotte alone this past Sunday! Perhaps this is part of this "2014 riots in America" that someone thought was real and decided to include in the riots list wiki?

Man, I'm glad I live in Detroit!

Yeah... this would never happen in Detroit... one gun shot and everyone would go scampering....

Those are some dumb downriverites. That many people fighting and it never occurred to any of them that they were being disrespected and should therefore shoot someone.

Well that settles it. Obviously if there's a bar fight in the burbs, it means Detroit is safe! Right?

Solution: Drink at home [[Detroit or suburb)........

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Well that settles it. Obviously if there's a bar fight in the burbs, it means Detroit is safe! Right?

We we will improve our understanding of crime and safety exponentially when we place geographic location secondary and focus on situational information.

Probability of assault / battery at 2 am when bar closes: high
    Probability of assault / battery at 2pm outside of knitting store : low

I quit drinking last year, it usually leads to me doing dumb things.

Quote Originally Posted by corktownyuppie View Post
    We we will improve our understanding of crime and safety exponentially when we place geographic location secondary and focus on situational information.

Probability of assault / battery at 2 am when bar closes: high
    Probability of assault / battery at 2pm outside of knitting store : low
    Yeah, but that needs to be buffered by an accuracy dither...the likelihood of a drunk landing a punch is much lower than a long-term knitter scoring a poke with her needles.

I still wouldn't mess with granny in the afternoon. Always gotta be on your guard.

Cheers

Just when you thought bar fights didn't occur Down River...

Obviously this is a somewhat isolated incident in a generally low-crime area, compared to Detroit, where shootings are a daily occurrence.

However, niceties aside, I really find Downriver to be a pretty uniquely miserable place. No good restaurants, no good shopping, the bar scene is really some variation on this, and overall the people I've encountered are unbelievably racist and crude. It seems like everybody has kids out of wedlock too.

Maybe that's for some, but it isn't for me.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    Obviously this is a somewhat isolated incident in a generally low-crime area, compared to Detroit, where shootings are a daily occurrence.

However, niceties aside, I really find Downriver to be a pretty uniquely miserable place. No good restaurants, no good shopping, the bar scene is really some variation on this, and overall the people I've encountered are unbelievably racist and crude. It seems like everybody has kids out of wedlock too.

Maybe that's for some, but it isn't for me.
    Well it's good enough for the Jerry Springer show....

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    It seems like everybody has kids out of wedlock too. Maybe that's for some, but it isn't for me.
    Good man, poobert, marry her first!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Yeah... this would never happen in Detroit... one gun shot and everyone would go scampering....
    That's a good point. A huge fight at a bar at 2am in Wyandotte...and nobody got shot. If this happened in Detroit, it would have ended in gunplay instead of just some shoving and a few punches.

Quote Originally Posted by aj3647 View Post
    That's a good point. A huge fight at a bar at 2am in Wyandotte...and nobody got shot. If this happened in Detroit, it would have ended in gunplay instead of just some shoving and a few punches.
    And just imagine if a brawl between a minimum of 30 people ended in gunplay...

But if that brawl ended in damage being done to not only said bar, but neighboring properties as well...it'll be 1967 all over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    Solution: Drink at home [[Detroit or suburb)........

This site needs a like button!

Poobert, we'll do just fine without you. We have arguably the best Italian restaurant in the area. Great food in Wyandotte, The Oak Cafe, RP's, Magdaleno. Solid Arabic options. Cheap Polish food. And a tight-knit community that doesn't look down on other areas. Stay north of 8 mile.

^^^ What's the name of the Italian spot? The foody in me wants to know as I am in the area sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by NoHeartAnthony View Post
    Poobert, we'll do just fine without you. We have arguably the best Italian restaurant in the area. Great food in Wyandotte, The Oak Cafe, RP's, Magdaleno. Solid Arabic options. Cheap Polish food. And a tight-knit community that doesn't look down on other areas. Stay north of 8 mile.
    I am from Wyandotte and I find your response here way off base. First off, Moro's as one of the best Italian restaurants in the area? Have you ever been to Giovanni's? And second what Arabic options are you referring to? There is maybe one or two tops! And to be quite honest I feel much safer in Detroit than I do downriver. Hence why I moved out; this fight doesn't surprise me one bit.

Mhmm. Roman Village and Vince's > Giovanni's as far as SW Italian joints go.

Malek, Beirut Garden.

But I guess it's all subjective. If you're miserable without good shopping and restaurants, that's really unfortunate.

But I guess it's all subjective. If you're miserable without good shopping and restaurants, that's really unfortunate.

Having served time Downriver, if you can't find a place to shop, you just aren't trying. No one with a credit card Downriver is going to starve.

Mhmm. Roman Village and Vince's > Giovanni's as far as SW Italian joints go.

Malek, Beirut Garden.

Beirut Garden is actually in Southgate.....