Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Grind strip club burns in Capitol Park

Glad to hear nobody was hurt but not too sad to see this place go up in flames. I have a feeling the guy collects his insurance money then Gilbert comes in and swoops up the property and adjacent lot. A win for downtown.

http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/8403/detroit_strip_club_burns_2-alarm_fire_downtown_damages_the_grind

Default The Grind Strip Club RIP

Was walking into work this morning and saw a handful of fire trucks putting out what appears to be an early morning fire at the Grind, across the street from D'Mongos.

Name:  IMG_0055.jpg
Views: 3171
Size:  39.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/...ages_the_grind

Glad to hear nobody was hurt but not too sad to see this place go up in flames. I have a feeling the guy collects his insurance money then Gilbert comes in and swoops up the property and adjacent lot. A win for downtown.
    But where am I going to be able to score $5 lapdances and a nice contact high in the city anymore??

I heard Ilitch will be adding a strip club to the entertainment area he's erecting.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I heard Ilitch will be adding a strip club to the entertainment area he's erecting.
    A comma after area, I would've laughed even heartier.

Efforts to "make it rain" to save this downtown jewel were in vain.

Too much grinding caused sparks?

The Grind was owned by Detroit real estate "developer" Dennis Kefallinos. The old Fisher Body Plant No. 10 on Farnsworth that burned twice in the last few weeks had been owned by Kefallinos, although I'm not sure if it is still is. Could be one heck of a coincidence.

Typical insurance scam.

The Clark apartments across the street were sold to the Chinese development company and they forced the closure of Jam Lounge.

Since Jam Lounge and the Grind shared the same clientele - there likely was a significant drop in patronage and the owner likely figured it was easiest to torch the place and collect on the proceeds.

But that block should be much easier for new development, so we all win. Except the insurance company.

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
    The Grind was owned by Detroit real estate "developer" Dennis Kefallinos. The old Fisher Body Plant No. 10 on Farnsworth that burned twice in the last few weeks had been owned by Kefallinos, although I'm not sure if it is still is. Could be one heck of a coincidence.
    I don't think Dennis owns the Grind [[He did have some interest in the business at one point but not the building) and I think you might be mistaken on the building that caught fire twice recently as one of his building as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Novack View Post
    I don't think Dennis owns the Grind [[He did have some interest in the business at one point but not the building) and I think you might be mistaken on the building that caught fire twice recently as one of his building as well.
    You are right. This was Cushingberry's new campaign office.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    Typical insurance scam, so we all win, Except the insurance company.
    And they just pass the savings along to us. "insurance in Detroit continues to be a racket"

Curbed points out that the space, along with adjacent parking lots, is now a prime spot for development. I'd have to agree. Adjacent to the reno'd park and buildings about to be rehabbed, and only a block away from a blooming Woodward.

Thank god.

​Good riddance to the pimp club!

Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post

Kefallinos doesn't take care of his properties. He buys them fix a little and leave it for scrappers. What a slumlord he is!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Curbed points out that the space, along with adjacent parking lots, is now a prime spot for development. I'd have to agree. Adjacent to the reno'd park and buildings about to be rehabbed, and only a block away from a blooming Woodward.
    Nice space for a parking structure. With the number of apartments now in the area with more coming on line; convenient parking will be able to sell the apartments even faster. Yeah I know how it sounds, but it is reality.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Nice space for a parking structure. With the number of apartments now in the area with more coming on line; convenient parking will be able to sell the apartments even faster. Yeah I know how it sounds, but it is reality.
    Dp, your comment makes me wonder about the mysterious parking garage right across the street. Do you know what is up with that place? I never see any cars there, it seems closed but there are always guys hanging around.

i seems to be in a prime location and does sport a historical plaque touting it as the site of the former Hotel Griswald and home of Kiwanis Club.

Any one remember what it was called 1985/86 ish. it wasn't a strip club then

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Dp, your comment makes me wonder about the mysterious parking garage right across the street. Do you know what is up with that place? I never see any cars there, it seems closed but there are always guys hanging around.

i seems to be in a prime location and does sport a historical plaque touting it as the site of the former Hotel Griswald and home of Kiwanis Club.
    I have actually seen cars going into that place once. I was as surprised as you are. I don't know what the deal is with it. Though is is an odd duck for sure.

That building was the Mayfield Chop House back in the '60s and '70s. It was a favorite "classy" hangout of my grandparents when my grandmother worked at Hudson's The cosmetics counter ladies used to go there for cocktails and a little bite to eat on Friday nights.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post

Nick and Lorna Abraham, owners of Mobile Parking Systems had owned the garage and the Urban Bean storefront. They seem to have been getting rid of their properties in recent years. The Bates Garage [[next to the National Theatre and now rubble) used the be where they kept offices. The garage you're talking about has shown wear and tear for many years. Possibly, they just quit using it, rather than fixing it up in the hopes they might find a buyer for the property.

Quote Originally Posted by Novack View Post
    I defer to you, Mr. N. Regarding the other building, didn't Dennis own the former Hoban Foods Building that fronts on Warren? I thought the old Fisher Body Building one block north was part of the same complex.

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    Typical insurance scam.

The Clark apartments across the street were sold to the Chinese development company and they forced the closure of Jam Lounge.

Since Jam Lounge and the Grind shared the same clientele - there likely was a significant drop in patronage and the owner likely figured it was easiest to torch the place and collect on the proceeds.

But that block should be much easier for new development, so we all win. Except the insurance company.
    See, here's where I'm confused. If this is a sufficiently obvious insurance scam that a bunch of random people on the Internet are able to identify it as such without hesitation, why the hell are the professional claim-deniers who work for the insurance company incapable of arriving at the same conclusion?

Here is that building as the Mayfield circa 1976.

Note the ancient Carriage Factory sign painted on the upper wall.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; February-20-14 at 05:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast