Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default looks like we need more "gun control"...

"Gun control" meaning hit what you aim at, she missed...

A Detroit mother opened fire Monday night when three suspects broke into her home. Surveillance cameras caught it all.
    The mother tells Action News she "didn't have time to get scared." When she heard the door to her home on Woodrow Wilson being kicked in, she immediately warned the three teenage intruders and then opened fire.
    One of the teens dropped a handgun on his way out the door. He then tried to get back inside the house a second time, but was again met with gunfire. Once again, he took off and all three were arrested shortly after the incident by Detroit Police.

http://www.wxyz.com/news/mom-opens-f...efend-children

I would include firearms safety and target practice in public schools.

"Gun control," indeed.

Oh well. She, very likely, is somewhat glad that she didn't hit any of them, but I admit that I wish she had killed every one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Better watch what you wish for... it was 3 teens that broke into her house?

Me, not so much. I would make taking a logic class manditory. What kind of dummy picks up a revolver out of the snow, and goes back into a house where someone is armed with an assault rifle? What are we teaching our kids these days?

I live near Woodrow Wilson, much of that area at this point is 'hang-mans gap' coupled with little street lighting and tracts of scrapped, abandoned property. Not to mention the new recent block-wide homage to scrapping: Hutchins school. I feel for the woman who felt obligated to NOT be a victim.

Perhaps the 'teens' may have just wanted her Ipad or flat screen [[assuming she had these coveted items) but who has time to assess this when you door is being kicked in and the thieves may want something more personal!
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-19-14 at 08:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zacha341 View Post
    I live near Woodrow Wilson, much of that area at this point is 'hang-mans gap' coupled with little street lighting and tracts of scrapped, abandoned property. Not to mention the new recent block-wide homage to scrapping: Hutchins school. I feel for the woman who felt obligated to NOT be a victim.

Perhaps the 'teens' may have just wanted her Ipad or flat screen [[assuming she had these coveted items) but who has time to assess this when you door is being kicked in and the thieves may want something more personal!
    My parents live in that area [[Boston Edison) and have had their home broken into several times. It happens all too often over there. The security cameras caught the 3 teenagers breaking into their house last summer. The sad thing about that area is that the middle and working class families are islands surrounded by a sea of poverty and crime. Coming into LaSalle Gardens and Boston Edison to steal for them is like picking fruit from a tree when you're hungry.

Cops got em! 3 down, 10,000 more to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Better watch what you wish for... it was 3 teens that broke into her house?
    I realize that. But young people trained in firearms will have more respect for them. Also, it would create a city population over time that has- and knows how to use- guns at home for protection. Right now, mostly bad guys have guns in Detroit. If this lady had hit them, there are three people less people to terrorize our residents.

Just browsing from Google, it looks like most of Woodrow Wilson doesn't have homes on it; it seems to be a cross street except in the area just north of East Grand up to Virginia Park, and the houses in that stretch are packed pretty close together and look well kept. I'm glad the lady protected her own without having to kill anyone and I'm glad they were caught.

'Hungry' with lust for other folks stuff... we're not talking 'missed meals' here...

And yes that area can be very rough from what it once was. Take a drive thru there at night. Not good.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
    My parents live in that area [[Boston Edison) and have had their home broken into several times. It happens all too often over there. The security cameras caught the 3 teenagers breaking into their house last summer. The sad thing about that area is that the middle and working class families are islands surrounded by a sea of poverty and crime. Coming into LaSalle Gardens and Boston Edison to steal for them is like picking fruit from a tree when you're hungry.
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-20-14 at 11:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by maverick1 View Post
    Coming into LaSalle Gardens and Boston Edison to steal for them is like picking fruit from a tree when you're hungry.
    Spot on comment Mav!

"...Once again, he took off and all three were arrested shortly after the incident by Detroit Police."

Wait, they were arrested "shortly" after?? This is like the first thread I saw on here were the Detroit Police didn't take hours to show up to a burglary. How did they respond so quick? The arrest must have been done by that new Robocop, from that awful remake which was mostly filmed in Toronto.

I realize that. But young people trained in firearms will have more respect for them. Also, it would create a city population over time that has- and knows how to use- guns at home for protection. Right now, mostly bad guys have guns in Detroit. If this lady had hit them, there are three people less people to terrorize our residents.
    Yeah do I need to link to Wonkette's ongoing series titled "Responsible Gun Owners"? The same people who preach that every person should have a firearm are the same people who leave their guns around their house for their kids to reach, accidentally discharge weapons and do very smart things like try to board planes with firearms. In this case, things turned out best case scenario, but they don't always. See the guy in Dearborn who murdered that teenager. See George Zimmerman. See the lumps of people in Florida who just shoot people and ask questions later.

Also, if mostly bad guys have the guns, how come we hear about plenty of people defending themselves in their homes? I see a story like this roughly once every one to two weeks.

I agree she's likely glad she didn't hit em. I kinda wish she had tho. Think about it, scared to death, protecting her children,she probably just closed her eyes and let fly. The fact that the one tried to get in a second time is chilling! Think what would they have done if they had gained entry. What to do with youngsters like that?
    +1 Hi point

Hah! Well, foregoing your first question without the right to lawfully bear arms the crims will have more of them for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    Also, if mostly bad guys have the guns, how come we hear about plenty of people defending themselves in their homes? I see a story like this roughly once every one to two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hastings View Post
    I agree she's likely glad she didn't hit em. I kinda wish she had tho. Think about it, scared to death, protecting her children,she probably just closed her eyes and let fly. The fact that the one tried to get in a second time is chilling! Think what would they have done if they had gained entry. What to do with youngsters like that?
    +1 Hi point
    Some people out there are not rational. Some are so high on drugs that their minds are not only vaguely attached.

Are most criminals drunk or high while 'on the job'? I don't know. But I think we can be sure that some are.

To me, this is were this 'retreat' rather than 'shoot' logic fails. If you're face-to-face with a burglar in your house. And there are sounds coming from your kitchen too... you should retreat?

To the thread title.... gun control is to guns what minimum wages are to jobs. Irrelevant distractions -- but they sure do sound good.