Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Mayoral candidate jerroll sanders to hold press conference opposing cobo hall deal

Detroit, MI—Mayoral Candidate Jerroll Sanders, joined by other political candidates and community members, will hold a press conference outside the Coleman A. Young Building in front of the Spirit of Detroit on Wednesday July 22, 2009, at 11:15 a.m., to oppose the plan to confer Cobo Hall to a Regional Authority. According to Sanders, the Cobo Hall deal is bad for Detroit future. The deal confers control of Cobo Hall--a revenue-generating entity--to an Authority for 30 years, while requiring Detroiters to fund the $288 million expansion. Sanders is inviting all citizens to join her for the press conference.
    Here we go again! I guess they will let any nut hold a press conference in front of the Spirit of Detroit these days. Nothing says "Publicity Whore" like waiting till the last minute.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by leland_palmer View Post
    Here we go again! I guess they will let any nut hold a press conference in front of the Spirit of Detroit these days. Nothing says "Publicity Whore" like waiting till the last minute.
    How the hell can we take seriously any candidate who thinks that Cobo is a revenue-generating entity? It's like my own little litmus test.

Opposed to Cobo deal? Next!

Think anyone's gonna cover this?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroit500 View Post
    Think anyone's gonna cover this?
    Nope. Hail Mary pass from a nobody trying everything he [[or she) can do to get their name out there in a crowded field.

Jerroll Sanders win not win the bid for Detroit Mayor not enough principles or getting inside Detroit city business. Bing will stomp her out in no time.
    Last edited by Danny; July-22-09 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Jerroll Sanders win not win the bid for Detroit Mayor not enough principles or getting inside Detroit city business. Bing will stomp him out in no time.
    Especially since Jerroll's a SHE A quote from her website:

"STOP THE SELL OF COBO HALL"

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    How the hell can we take seriously any candidate who thinks that Cobo is a revenue-generating entity? It's like my own little litmus test.

Opposed to Cobo deal? Next!
    Exactly! I asked as many city council candidates as possible whether they would have supported the original Cobo deal, and VERY few would have. Among them:

Mohamed Okdie
    Anthony Marshall
    Sauntell Jenkins
    David Cross
    Abdullah Bey El-Amin
    Marsha Thomas
    Christopher Coleman
    John Cromer

And, of course, incumbents Cockrel, Jones, and Kenyatta.

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PSewick View Post
    Exactly! I asked as many city council candidates as possible whether they would have supported the original Cobo deal, and VERY few would have. Among them:

Mohamed Okdie
    Anthony Marshall
    Sauntell Jenkins
    David Cross
    Abdullah Bey El-Amin
    Marsha Thomas
    Christopher Coleman
    John Cromer

And, of course, incumbents Cockrel, Jones, and Kenyatta.
    Chris Farley is against it? Ah, well. Can we elect him Official City Mascot or something? He's too good not to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Bearinabox View Post
    Chris Farley is against it? Ah, well. Can we elect him Official City Mascot or something? He's too good not to use.
    It's hard to tell his opinion. When I emailed him, this was his reply [[spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and spacing are his):

"your question is as stated above, to answer your question if I have been on council in the past year, I would have to tell you if I was on council for the past year, I do not believe that this issue would have become an issue, because a new council member as I would have been four years ago in 2005, I would put the city and its assets first, I would never give away waterfront property, and citizens and their neighborhoods need attention too."

Default Anouther idiot running for Mayor

This is why ,unfortunately,Detroit to improve will probably have to go bankrupt, then have the State take over,To many good smart working toward a better D.Too many stupid corrupt people getting elected,Free elections don't always work,especially in the D.

Who is going to take over the state?

Quote Originally Posted by bobby wobby View Post
    This is why ,unfortunately,Detroit to improve will probably have to go bankrupt, then have the State take over,To many good smart working toward a better D.Too many stupid corrupt people getting elected,Free elections don't always work,especially in the D.

It's hard to tell his opinion. When I emailed him, this was his reply [[spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and spacing are his):

"your question is as stated above, to answer your question if I have been on council in the past year, I would have to tell you if I was on council for the past year, I do not believe that this issue would have become an issue, because a new council member as I would have been four years ago in 2005, I would put the city and its assets first, I would never give away waterfront property, and citizens and their neighborhoods need attention too."
    It''s truly unbelievable that a candidate for city council could write so poorly.

Quote Originally Posted by Paris_of_the_Midwest View Post
    It''s truly unbelievable that a candidate for city council could write so poorly.
    Really? and i'm not just talking Detroit -

watch council meetings broadcast on cable, any city, large or small. it seems all of them are full of petty, semi brain-dead, morons

Bearinabox Guest

God, I love this town. Money can't buy that kind of entertainment.

cobo is a fringe issue- more pressing is the overall deficit, police/emergency response, blight, child & adult education/literacy, making it easier for small businesses to set up shop, etc..

well, i'm sure someone will step up to take moncon's place

Bearinabox Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    cobo is a fringe issue- more pressing is the overall deficit, police/emergency response, blight, child & adult education/literacy, making it easier for small businesses to set up shop, etc..
    The Cobo issue is a good way of separating the pragmatists from the demagogues. Someone who considers Cobo a "jewel" is demonstrating a complete inability to examine issues rationally and come up with realistic solutions, which is something I'd much rather learn about someone before I help get them elected.

All deals on Cobo should be clearly examined. The first deal was bad and should have been rejected. The follow up proposal with the Rock location as a backup was an insulting threat. I don't know the specifics on this new proposal. 30 year lease? Unless the candidate has a viable alternative plan, then this is non-story.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by trstar View Post
    The first deal was bad and should have been rejected.
    Of course it should have, because it would have reduced the deficit by 5 percent without any cuts in any services, without laying off one police office or raising one single tax in the city.

It was the rottenest deal they've ever tried to shove down our throats!

Well unfortunately if you pay taxes in the city, your money is paying for all this entertainment.

EastSider Guest

So who showed up today? I need to know who not to vote for.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSider View Post
    Of course it should have, because it would have reduced the deficit by 5 percent without any cuts in any services, without laying off one police office or raising one single tax in the city.

It was the rottenest deal they've ever tried to shove down our throats!
    Thanks for sarcastically making my point. It's like cutting off your leg, then telling everyone you lost 30lbs.

A good regional authority, with proper structure makes sense. Crappy deals are just crappy deals.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by trstar View Post
    Thanks for sarcastically making my point. It's like cutting off your leg, then telling everyone you lost 30lbs.

A good regional authority, with proper structure makes sense. Crappy deals are just crappy deals.
    How was it a crappy deal?