Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Little Free Libraries in Metro Detroit?

See this article about a nice book campaign. I am aware of the book benches being placed at some DOT bus stops in Detroit. They are great, but this program seems more fun.http://www.mymodernmet.com/profiles/...e-free-library Are there any in our region?

I have seen these things in several places. I don't know how they would make for healthier neighborhoods, but it sure would be an effective way to get rid of some of your old stuff.

I am willing to bet you will find more of these in parts of town where they feel superior to others and less of them in neighborhoods where you have poor children looking for something to read. I am glad that the DDOT stops have them. They are needed as sometimes the wait can be [[unfortunately) a while.

It did not take me long to find a clearing house for these with a map of registed libraries. http://littlefreelibrary.org/ourmap/

Unfortunately, the ones in the DDOT benches are not shown. Is the student who is making the benches and placing them still doing it? Does any one know him? It would be great publicity for his work.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; February-17-14 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I have seen these things in several places. I don't know how they would make for healthier neighborhoods, but it sure would be an effective way to get rid of some of your old stuff.

I am willing to bet you will find more of these in parts of town where they feel superior to others and less of them in neighborhoods where you have poor children looking for something to read. I am glad that the DDOT stops have them. They are needed as sometimes the wait can be [[unfortunately) a while.
    There are several in Hazel Park, so I guess you consider them to feel superior to you there?
    http://www.candgnews.com/news/little...oon-hazel-park

I am willing to bet you will find more of these in parts of town where they feel superior to others and less of them in neighborhoods where you have poor children looking for something to read.
    Where, pray tell, are the parts of town where "they feel superior to others"? What a bizarre thing to say.

Also there's a Little Library in Brightmoor. Man, those Brightmoor snobs, with their air of superiority.

I am willing to bet you will find more of these in parts of town where they feel superior to others and less of them in neighborhoods where you have poor children looking for something to read.
    sad sad ignorant attitude. they're quite popular in my corner of the world and happen to be in very diverse [[race & income) parts of the metro. i just happened to catch a nice piece on our local public television about a man trying to visit all of them [[locally) on bicycle and it said it would take over a week.

this is a good thing

The D-DOT Book Benches seem to be cousins of the little libraries and that is why Detroit Planner doesn't se them on the LFL map.
    The book benches are not Little Free Libraries because [[I think) they belong to everyone and to no one. The LFL are either owned by individuals or adopted by someone who tidied them, keeps the odd litter out and curates the books.
    Does anyone know if the book benches are adopted?
    I have never seen a book bench in SW Detroit. Nor a Little Free Library.
    Maybe I would do one. Any observations on success here?

Here's the website all about the Little Free Libraries.
    http://littlefreelibrary.org/

Isn't "free libraries" a bit redundant?

How superior of all of you to twist my words to make yourselves feel superior.

I never said you won't find them in poorer areas, only that they seem to be more clustered in fru-fru places. If you looked at the map I provided you would see that this is generally the case. The map nearly looks like a guide to where you will find Volvo Drivers. Places with a lot include Oak Park IL, Ann Arbor & Traverse City, MI, Denver CO; ....
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; February-17-14 at 11:36 PM.

I never said you won't find them in poorer areas, only that they seem to be more clustered in fru-fru places. If you looked at the map I provided you would see that this is generally the case. The map nearly looks like a guide to where you will find Volvo Drivers. Places with a lot include Oak Park IL, Ann Arbor & Traverse City, MI, Denver CO; ....
    Or nice places to raise a family, where community matters.

How superior!

Twisting your words? We all quoted you verbatim.

Those damn fru-fru Volvo drivers. Driving a Volvo is now a social problem? One of the nicest guys I ever knew drove a Volvo. What, pray tell, is an acceptable means of transportation, and an acceptable place to live? A busted-up Neon at 7 Mile and Gratiot? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Last edited by poobert; February-18-14 at 09:58 AM.