Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Park Apartments building in Grand Circus Park Sold/ Renovations coming

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...ells-for-3-25m

the mystery finally ends... good news.. was worried it was slated for demolition and we'd lose more GCP buildings

Great news... although the Crain's article got the year off by a decade... the theatre that was part of the building [[and who's long ago demolished auditorium next door was demolished in 1953)... opened in 1927... so an educated guess would date the building to that year as well.

Now if someone would please come forward to buy the building on the corner...

Also, the former lobby of the Oriental/Downtown RKO theatre is in the closed off storage space on the ground floor of the building [[the left 1/3 of the ground floor). I hope they keep the remains of that intact...

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Orie...atre%20detroit
    Last edited by Gistok; February-17-14 at 12:37 PM.

More housing for downtown and another building NOT lost! I wonder if they will combine units to get more larger units?

Fantastic! It was really weird that an active apartment building was shuttered while most of downtown's buildings have waiting lists.

I agree about the Park Avenue Building. It's crying out for redevelopment. Why Don't We Own This lists the owner as "Triangle Management," which manages apartment complexes and is based in Ann Arbor.

Default Ratty Ole Park Apartments sells for $3.25M

Demand for downtown residential is continuing to fuel price inflation on downtown buildings. The elevated prices for which the Stott and Free Press sold took me by surprise.

However I find this price for the worn yet elegant Park Apartments even more startling with the ruin of the Park Plaza next door and the obvious amount of renovation required to bring it online.

In this picture I took last summer, the Park Apt is on the left. It was quietly vacated some time last year.

Details on Crain's

Sources said the seller was Detroit-based P & B Investments Inc.; the purchaser was Joe Barbat, the CEO and chairman of Southfield-based Wireless Toyz, which has more than 100 stores across the U.S.

According to the P & B Investments website, the company manages a multifamily real estate portfolio consisting of 17 properties and more than 800 units, the majority of which are in Southeast Michigan and south Florida. The company had owned the Park Apartments for less than two years.

According to a real estate source, Barbat plans renovations to the building, which was built in 1937. It will also be renamed to reflect its history as the former Hotel Briggs, according to the source. Barbat could not be reached for comment Monday morning.
    Oops saw this was posted earlier - threads merged.

Does it really need that much renovation? There were people living there 18 months ago. I'm sure it's not particularly nice, but I doubt it has to be completely gutted or anything.

The Park Avenue Building next door, on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by Khorasaurus View Post
    Does it really need that much renovation? There were people living there 18 months ago. I'm sure it's not particularly nice, but I doubt it has to be completely gutted or anything.

curious. Who owns the adjacent building- what did it used to be, how long has it been abandoned?

I stand corrected got the two building confused for a second!

Looks like a typical SRO building. My sister lived in one of these a long time ago. Picture rooms like Elwood Blue's apartment. The one my sister lived in was two units with a door between them. Could not have been more than 400 sq ft, but it had two full bathrooms!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S65lJGs7YC8
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; February-17-14 at 04:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    curious. Who owns the adjacent building- what did it used to be, how long has it been abandoned?
    Is it still owned by Ralph Sachs?

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Is it still owned by Ralph Sachs?
    Something called "Triangle Management" according to Why Don't We Own This.

Fantastic! It was really weird that an active apartment building was shuttered while most of downtown's buildings have waiting lists.

I agree about the Park Avenue Building. It's crying out for redevelopment. Why Don't We Own This lists the owner as "Triangle Management," which manages apartment complexes and is based in Ann Arbor.
    I suppose with the Hotel Charlevoix gone and the Park Apartments coming back, there is a better chance for the Park Avenue Building, since it won't be surrounded by dead buildings. But I'm just guessing. And hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I suppose with the Hotel Charlevoix gone and the Park Apartments coming back, there is a better chance for the Park Avenue Building, since it won't be surrounded by dead buildings. But I'm just guessing. And hoping.
    Then again, if you knock down the Park Ave building, you could put in a parking lot. Don't want buildings to obstruct the view of 75 now do we?

Something called "Triangle Management" according to Why Don't We Own This.
    that is Ralph Sachs, and it was "subject to tax foreclosure" in 2011 according to this:
    http://detroitproperties.wikispaces.com/test

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Sachs is the same guy that owned the Hotel Charlevoix. Based on his track record, I don't know if I would be too optimistic about the Park Avenue Building.

"Briggs House Residence" I always like when a historic name comes back, although I had never heard of the Hotel Briggs before. I do like how Curbed calls the current entrance "prison-style". That has to be one of the ugliest modernizations in the entire city.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...ealed.php#more
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; February-18-14 at 02:11 PM.

Yes, that ugly modernization was done in 1953 when the former Downtown RKO [[Oriental) auditorium was razed next door, and then theatre lobby and entrance was annihilated within the tower.

In that curbed article we see the nice marquee and vertical blade sign of the former theatre. Theatre Historical Society [[Elmhurst IL) said that the "zig-zag psychodelics" marquee was one of the most attractive in the country at the time.

I'm curious to see what remains entombed inside the modernization above the first floor? The entranceway appears totally gutted.
    Last edited by Gistok; February-18-14 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Yes, that ugly modernization was done in 1953 when the former Downtown RKO [[Oriental) auditorium was razed next door, and then theatre lobby and entrance was annihilated within the tower.

In that curbed article we see the nice marquee and vertical blade sign of the former theatre. Theatre Historical Society [[Elmhurst IL) said that the "zig-zag psychodelics" marquee was one of the most attractive in the country at the time.

I'm curious to see what remains entombed inside the modernization above the first floor? The entranceway appears totally gutted.
    I asked the new owner Joe Barbat on the Buildings of Detroit Facebook page if he planned on preserving the old lobby of the Oriental Theater and this is his response to me.

"Joe Barbat Hi Ken. U better believe we are going to preserve the awesome architecture from the oriental theatre. Not only the interior of the building but there are some really cool features on the exterior that we plan on rehabilitating as well."

So this is really exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    I asked the new owner Joe Barbat on the Buildings of Detroit Facebook page if he planned on preserving the old lobby of the Oriental Theater and this is his response to me.

"Joe Barbat Hi Ken. U better believe we are going to preserve the awesome architecture from the oriental theatre. Not only the interior of the building but there are some really cool features on the exterior that we plan on rehabilitating as well."

So this is really exciting.
    Thanks Gumby!! Made my day!!

So there are details underneath the modern entrance veneer!!

Too bad that they can't restore the lobby remains as a restaurant space.... maybe an Asian one?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Thanks Gumby!! Made my day!!

So there are details underneath the modern entrance veneer!!

Too bad that they can't restore the lobby remains as a restaurant space.... maybe an Asian one?
    No problem. I never expected him to reply to my inquiry so I was excited when he did. I suggested that it would make a great restaurant or perhaps an awesome new lobby for the residential portion of the building. He didn't comment on either of those other than saying they would be preserving it. He also said in his initial response to the article that there were other developments in the area that he will be working on. I suggested the Park Avenue Building next door and the UA building, pure wishful thinking on my part.

Here is his original response to the article.

"Joe Barbat I am very excited about the purchase of the former Park Apartments. the article is spot on in that we will be bringing back the Briggs name and calling the development the Briggs House Residence. We plan on a full re-development of the building adding 116 class A apartments to Downtown Detroit. The building will consist of a brand new Electrical system, New Heating and Cooling Systems, New Plumbing throughout and a complete make over for each apartment and there common area's. We also plan on creating a very special common area on the second story that will consist of a brand new work out area, state of the art laundry room facility with an attached open air internet café. This will occupy the entire second level and should be a tremendous amenity for our residence. We will also be adding a roof top terrace for our residence enjoyment along with a wonderful new eatery on the main level of the building. We have very optimistic plans for this building along with other developments we are working on within the area and are very excited about the new developments and glad to be apart of the resurgence of Detroit"

Thanks Gumby!

There's likely only one spot on the main floor that is large enough for restaurant space...

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Orie...atre%20Detroit

In the broad light of day [[they opened the large outside doors to take these images)... the former Oriental lobby space is quite garish in its' colors. But with subdued lighting... the space takes on a magical quality...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/5158645...-agSk9x-8j8Lxw
    Last edited by Gistok; February-18-14 at 04:09 PM.

Looks like they are planning a nice, well thought out project, and that they are excited about Detroit. Its nice to see that they were so quick with a response for information. With the demand for housing they should do well. I hope it serves as a catalyst for more Grand Circus Park development. As with Capitol Park, GCP could become a very nice residential area.