Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Downtown Hudson's Area

Way back in 1960, I worked in the Brink Building behind the Downtown Hudson's. We frequently had breakfast and/or lunch
    just behind the Brink Building in a deli sort of restaurant. One could get food to go or sit at a counter. I cannot recall the name of the place. Anyone have any idea at all what this place was called?

Wasn't there a Lefkovsky's [[SP?) over in that area?

Default Lefkovsky's

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    Perhaps, I just cannot recall. I worked for WQTE Radio in the Brink Building, and the place was like a 2nd home for us. It actually seemed like a couple or maybe three eateries were located there. It was just a walk downstairs and to the rear and we were in the place. Thanks for your help!

Does anyone have a map of the downtown area when it was Hudson's, i.e where the Campus Martius intersection would have been?

Sorry I don't have a map like that. That particular area was thriving when I worked there.

It sounds like you're describing the old Broadway Market which was on the site of the current Boll YMCA. There were a number of vendors and lunch counters inside. The most famous was Nathan's Deli.

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    I think Lefkovsky's was in the Madison Theater building or next door, closer to Grand Circus anyway... Nice memory jog though!

Eric_c & Lowell, Thanks for the info. Perhaps you are correct about Broadway Market. I thought the Market was some distance from our building, but maybe in those days it was right to the rear of the Brink Building. It was a busy, bustling
    place - always crowded with people. One of our DJ's, Tom Clay, did some outlandish promotional stunts from the area. Some of these really irritated our management folks, but Clay never meant any harm. He was accused of many untoward things, but he was always the nicest guy in the world to all of us. Also, there was a neat bar/restaurant just down from the back of Hudson's. No way I can recall the name of that place either, but thanks for helping me remember!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_c View Post
    It sounds like you're describing the old Broadway Market which was on the site of the current Boll YMCA. There were a number of vendors and lunch counters inside. The most famous was Nathan's Deli.
    I believe you're a block off. The Broadway Market was on the site of the Gilbert's Z Garage at the southwest corner of Grand River and Broadway according to a 2005 report I've got from the Historic Designation Advisory Board to the City Council. Also, I took this quote from the report:

“By the 1960s, 50 or more Jewish merchants lined both
    sides of the busy thoroughfare.”

Lowell, Lefkovsky's was indeed located at the corner of Broadway and Witherell in the Madison Theatre Building.

downtownguy & Lowell,

I believe you've finally helped me recall some particulars. Apparently, the Brink Building was on either Farmer or Library, we would turn right and walk on E. Grand River to the deli place which must have been the Broadway Market. It seemed no more than 5 minutes walk, but I was in my 20's and walking was easy in those days. Funny the things one remembers, but the place within the Market where I got food had a picture of Liberace posted in a prominent place. Also, when I asked to have my coffee warmed one morning, a cheeky waitress took hold of my cup and said "Tell me when it's warm enough." All my Detroit memories are good ones!! Thanks again!!

Lefkovsky's [[which was also know by some other names in its original incarnation) was first a sandwich counter in the old Broadway Market, which was indeed at the southwest corner of Broadway and Grand River. After that building burned and was torn down in the mid '60s, it moved across Broadway into the back of the much smaller "New" Broadway Market. Later, in the '80s, after that market withered away and closed, Lefkovsky's moved into the Madison Theater building on Grand Circus Park. My sister worked at the location in the New Broadway Market while she was attending Cass Tech.

Quote Originally Posted by 313rd View Post
    Does anyone have a map of the downtown area when it was Hudson's, i.e where the Campus Martius intersection would have been?
    There are several such maps online. Campus Martius itself was where the entrance to the Compuware Building is today - on the north side of where Monroe meets Woodward. But the whole central intersection there of Woodward, Monroe, Cadillac Sq., Fort, and Michigan - around old City Hall and the Soldiers and Sailors Monument - was often referred to as Campus Martius. Of course, the entire area was reconfigured into a park and traffic circle in the early 2000s.

Try this 1930s map of Detroit, scanned and posted by an old DY poster a few years ago:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/Hornwre...930sDetroitMap

You can click on the individual map sections, and then use the magnifying glass icon at the top to enlarge them. You can then use the plus in the upper left corner to zoom in and your cursor to move around in the maps. The last map in the list contains a closeup map of downtown, including the names of the businesses.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Lefkovsky's [[which was also know by some other names in its original incarnation) was first a sandwich counter in the old Broadway Market, which was indeed at the southwest corner of Broadway and Grand River. After that building burned and was torn down in the mid '60s, it moved across Broadway into the back of the much smaller "New" Broadway Market. Later, in the '80s, after that market withered away and closed, Lefkovsky's moved into the Madison Theater building on Grand Circus Park. My sister worked at the location in the New Broadway Market while she was attending Cass Tech.
    Thanks again, EastsideAl! Your explanation of the original location and the latter location helped me understand my original confusion. There is no doubt
    now as to the place I visited so often while working in the Brink Building. How nice it would be to go back and revisit those days. Not an original thought, but a sincere one.