Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default 'Showcase Collectibles' on Cass Being Displaced

From article: Friday afternoon, the founders of Showcase Collectibles in the Cass Corridor received an official 30-day notice to vacate their charming retail space, ending a decades-long run for the business. It’s also the latest chapter in the rapid gentrification of the gritty neighborhood. . . .

The building that housed Showcase Collectible, a vintage and curio shop, was bought by someone who vows to return the 8,000-plus-square-foot building to its glory.

At the 15-year-old Midtown shop crammed with curios, antiques and vintage fashion accessories, co-owner Gary Frundel tells Aguilar:

“We don’t want to stop progress. Everyone wants to see the neighborhood get more development. But we didn’t want to be kicked out on the street, either, in the dead of winter.”

http://deadlinedetroit.com/articles/...s#.UwEjO0JdXTJ
    Last edited by Zacha341; February-17-14 at 06:13 AM.

Like Detroit doesn't have many, many empty store fronts for them to move to?

Well that's just nice. They've literally have been there for decades, stuck it out through the worst times. Now when there's finally a chance to make a few bucks and a light @ the end of the tunnel, it turns out to be a train. Welcome to Yuppieville.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Well that's just nice. They've literally have been there for decades, stuck it out through the worst times. Now when there's finally a chance to make a few bucks and a light @ the end of the tunnel, it turns out to be a train. Welcome to Yuppieville.
    ...and their rent hasn't changed in 15 years. Neighborhoods change. There is no shortage of empty retail space in Detroit.

That said...what exactly was the "former glory" this building is going to be returned to?

Yup. You're right, Honky. Reminds me of several years ago on this forum, I was discussing how, when I lived in New York, I had to keep moving because of gentrification, and the consensus on this board was, "Tough shit. Cities change. You wanted to stay? You should have bought something."

I wonder if the shoe will be on the other foot for some people now that it's their cool neighborhood getting the business.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    ...and their rent hasn't changed in 15 years. Neighborhoods change. There is no shortage of empty retail space in Detroit.

That said...what exactly was the "former glory" this building is going to be returned to?
    I understand their rent changing, and that it's @ a low rate. Basically it hasn't changed because NO ONE wanted to have their business there, and the owner was lucky they did. Now that things are coming around a bit, it's "screw you Bird Town". I hope Rusty bites the new owner right on his jewels, hard.

I think Sue Mosey helped make this deal possible. Not that I think she's a hypocrite. I don't think she's ever pledged any allegiance to the small-business owners. Her goal is pumping money into the neighborhood through investment. But this episode may help clarify the tradeoffs involved in gentrification for those who weren't clued in yet.

I understand their rent changing, and that it's @ a low rate. Basically it hasn't changed because NO ONE wanted to have their business there, and the owner was lucky they did. Now that things are coming around a bit, it's "screw you Bird Town". I hope Rusty bites the new owner right on his jewels, hard.

was the issue handled poorly? sure sounds like it, especially for a tenant that was loyal through the lean times... because really..what is the hurry? It's not like the Little Caesars Playland is going in tomorrow.

If it sits empty for 5 years after booting these guys out purely on the speculation that they can get somthing better in [[ala places like allegedly Agave and others) well, fuck him....but if the owner of the building has someone chomping at the bit to get in there and pay 3 times the rent and finance a build out... or just buy the building outright, what exactly is he supposed to do? It's not a charity.

On the long list of problems facing Detroit "gentrification" is not one of them. Real Estate speculation on the other hand....
    Last edited by bailey; February-17-14 at 10:47 AM.

I hope they can negotiate an extension of the 30 days, and would not be surprised if they did. That being said, I assume they knew the building was for sale. If I'd been paying the same rent for 15 years I think I'd have been anticipating a sizeable rent increase at best, and looking at other alternative locations.

was the issue handled poorly? sure sounds like it, especially for a tenant that was loyal through the lean times... because really..what is the hurry? It's not like the Little Caesars Playland is going in tomorrow.

If it sits empty for 5 years after booting these guys out purely on the speculation that they can get somthing better in [[ala places like allegedly Agave and others) well, fuck him....but if the owner of the building has someone chomping at the bit to get in there and pay 3 times the rent and finance a build out... or just buy the building outright, what exactly is he supposed to do? It's not a charity.

On the long list of problems facing Detroit "gentrification" is not one of them. Real Estate speculation on the other hand....
    "Hi, I'm so-and-so, As you've noticed, the neighborhood is rapidly being redeveloped. I have someone who wants to lease/buy this building @ XXXX amount of $s. Since you've been making my car notes for XXXX amount of years, I thought I'd make the offer to you first". Fuck Ilitch, fuck his taxpayer paid for stadium. Charity begins @ home.

"Hi, I'm so-and-so, As you've noticed, the neighborhood is rapidly being redeveloped. I have someone who wants to lease/buy this building @ XXXX amount of $s. Since you've been making my car notes for XXXX amount of years, I thought I'd make the offer to you first". Fuck Ilitch, fuck his taxpayer paid for stadium. Charity begins @ home.
    you really think 550 a month was netting the landlord anything?

you really think 550 a month was netting the landlord anything?
    YES! Not only did it net him his monthly car payment money, it gave him a secured, working, building that wasn't scrapped, so later in life, he could toss out the people that were there for him for decades.

Cass and Peterboro has also been an easy place to score a rock for decades. Is somebody going to get on their soapbox and speak on the displacement of the area's dopemen? :-)

Quote Originally Posted by subsidized View Post
    Cass and Peterboro has also been an easy place to score a rock for decades. Is somebody going to get on their soapbox and speak on the displacement of the area's dopemen? :-)
    There are lots of other empty corners you can move the rock scoring business to.

YES! Not only did it net him his monthly car payment money, it gave him a secured, working, building that wasn't scrapped, so later in life, he could toss out the people that were there for him for decades.
    There's also something to be said about treating your people right and it coming back to you. That is also smart business, not just the bottom line.

Sure you could throw out an old lady who is renting a flat from you in exchange for some yuppies, but you know that at least that old lady is going to pay rent, on time, and not fuck up your pad like some coked out maniacs.

Like you said, this new tenant could be a total fucknut.

You know, I'm glad I lived in the Cass Corridor when it was cool. It's already losing a lot of its character. Not saying that I'm lamenting the loss of skid row, but the fact is that, paradoxically, people have been attracted to Midtown for its wonky charms and now those charming little anachronisms, like Showcase, are being forced out.

I'm all for progress, but I'd still like to keep Detroit weird.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    I'm all for progress, but I'd still like to keep Detroit weird.
    Ditto. After all, it IS Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by poobert View Post
    There's also something to be said about treating your people right and it coming back to you. That is also smart business, not just the bottom line.
    How many decades does that go on though? Sounds like he treated them well for 15 years.

when can the landlord sell or look at new tenants and it not be an act of outright greed? 70 years?

Sure you could throw out an old lady who is renting a flat from you in exchange for some yuppies, but you know that at least that old lady is going to pay rent, on time, and not fuck up your pad like some coked out maniacs.
    I take the coked out yuppies.... because that is usually choice, right? Below market old lady renter or market rate to crack heads.

Ok...ya got me. you guys are doing a bit. I fell for it.
    Last edited by bailey; February-17-14 at 01:09 PM.

when can the landlord sell or look at new tenants and it not be an act of outright greed? 70 years?
    Yes.

Moving on.

my dude... this isn't true... it mayyybe covered some of the taxes on the building and a couple months of maintenance/ bills... but there is NO way that the landlord was making anyyyy money off of this and 'making his car payments' ... i've worked in commercial real estate and there's so many costs to landlords that people don't realize.. unless your building is in good shape [[i.e. not having to do costly maintenance every few months) and you're leased out at around 75% at MARKET RATE [[which he was definitely not paying).. you're losing money.

the old landlord definitely hasn't seen a nickel from this building in a long while

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    my dude... this isn't true... it mayyybe covered some of the taxes on the building and a couple months of maintenance/ bills... but there is NO way that the landlord was making anyyyy money off of this and 'making his car payments' ... i've worked in commercial real estate and there's so many costs to landlords that people don't realize.. unless your building is in good shape [[i.e. not having to do costly maintenance every few months) and you're leased out at around 75% at MARKET RATE [[which he was definitely not paying).. you're losing money.

the old landlord definitely hasn't seen a nickel from this building in a long while
    Even in that bombed-out section of the Cass-Corridor? I think the landlord was damn lucky that building wasn't reduced to ashes. Now maybe if it had been in Royal Oak, THAT would have been a different story.

Even in that bombed-out section of the Cass-Corridor? I think the landlord was damn lucky that building wasn't reduced to ashes. Now maybe if it had been in Royal Oak, THAT would have been a different story.

i mean i guess every building's different.. i just don't think he made money.. if he's lucky he broke even.. but you are right it's definitely good he had them in the building at all because it prevented scrapping/etc.

Few businesses could ever count on the same rent for 15 years. Now why don't you all put your heads together and find a new place for them?

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Few businesses could ever count on the same rent for 15 years. Now why don't you all put your heads together and find a new place for them?
    The "renters" are clever people and will do just fine. They'll come up with something. They're very dedicated to the neighborhood, always have been. It's just a shame, that's all.

This story is the ugly side to gentrification. Unfortunately some must occur in the D to build a tax base that can supply the financial resources that will give the residents of Detroit safer neighborhoods, better schools and more opportunities to build better lives for themselves and most importantly the children of Detroit. I hope they can find somewhere that their business will thrive.

First they kicked out the weirdos at the Griswold lofts... and I did not speak out because I do not live downtown anymore.
    Then they kicked out the weirdos at Showplace Collectibles... and I did not speak out because I only go in there once in awhile.
    And pretty soon Detroit was a bland, boring overpriced yuppie hellhole... and there was nobody left to speak out for me.
    Keep holding down the block at Temple Bar, George!
    Fuck Illitch.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast