Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Man Charged In Fatal Hit-And-Run

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/20113930/detail.html

"Grobbel's uncle told Local 4 he is a good kid who made a bad decision."

Wow...really? He only went driving completely smashed, mocked doing so to a McDonald employee, sped, and killed a guy and injured 3 others. Oh, and he's had several incidents in the past. Not what I'd label a good kid who made a bad decision, family or no.

Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post

Wow...really? He only went driving completely smashed, mocked doing so to a McDonald employee, sped, and killed a guy and injured 3 others. Oh, and he's had several incidents in the past. Not what I'd label a good kid who made a bad decision, family or no.
    Not to defend the drunken fool but I expect his family to support him and say things like "he is a good kid." I would hope even in the worst of times a person has their family on their side. From his uncle's POV he is a good kid. He probably showed respect and not gotten drunk and acted a fool. God knows I didn't get high and showed my other side to my grandmother or my grandfather.

I'd support him, but I still wouldn't say he's a good kid. Someone died for pete's sake.

Tom was a good kid who made a series of horribly bad decisions on Sunday night and Monday morning. He is my first cousin's son. Our family can only offer our apologies to the victims and their families and provide what little support we can for Tom. Justice will be served and Tom will have many years to contemplate on the effects of his decisions and actions.

First the oil tanker accident and now a deadly hit and run accident on I-696. Lots of " I don't care communities" around the Metro-Detroit area.

Going off subject for the moment, these past two weeks we had nothing but tragedies that could have been prevented if common sense was applied. We had:

5 people died in a train-car collision because the driver who should not been driving decided that he was going to beat the train going at a rate of 68 mph. To the young man's credit he realized he was not going to beat the train because he slammed on the brakes but it was too late.

A father and his three children die because of carbon monoxide poisoning. Because DTE accidental turned off the power to the house and because the father was afraid of theft, he turned on a gasoline-powered generator in his basement. Running for hours and hours filling up the house with CO.

The drunk-driving accident which started this thread and....

The drowning of a 19 year old who saved the life of a 11 year old. Heroic, but the 19 year old and the four kids that was at that pool could not swim. Not one of them and yet the 19 year old could have use wise judgment and shot down the idea of playing in a swimming pool. Now the homeowner could face a lawsuit because she allowing these youths to play in her pool and someone died.

These cases reflect a dumbing-down in our society. Do anyone use logic anymore in their thinking? I was young once but I used better judgment in my decisions. It is so sad to read these stories and notice that young lives are being lost because of bad decisions.
    Last edited by R8RBOB; July-22-09 at 11:02 AM.

Mike, I am sorry for everything your family has gone through. You are a trusted voice here, and if you say, the young man was "a good kid" that is a gold seal. I am afraid his horrid decisons will be a true hardship for all involved. My sympathies to your cousin and his wife. Their heartache must be beyond description.

Quote Originally Posted by gnome View Post
    Mike, I am sorry for everything your family has gone through. You are a trusted voice here, and if you say, the young man was "a good kid" that is a gold seal. I am afraid his horrid decisons will be a true hardship for all involved. My sympathies to your cousin and his wife. Their heartache must be beyond description.
    Well I hope a good long stay in prison will make him into a "good kid". Good kids I know, maybe have one or two very minor incidents and don't have a record like this guy. But I guess thats just me.

It is by the grace of God that any young man makes it to middle age. I did plenty of dumb things in cars, both as passenger and driver. I was 16 years old and driving through my neighborhood behind an old man who I thought was going too slow. I went around him and, just as I overtook the man, a kid in a big wheel cam roaring down his driveway. Thank GOD the kid knew enough to stay in his driveway because if he went into the street I would've been front page news 25 years ago. I was a passenger in a car on the 4th of July when my college roommate made it from 10 & Southfield to Markley Hall at UM in 25 minutes. Me and all my friends would have been considered good kids who did something dumb.

Even "Good Kid's" or good people, can make horrible mistakes. This was a terrible tragedy, all the way around. My heart goes out to all the victims, including Tom's family.

Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post

What do you expect the uncle to say?

"Oh man, this kid has been a disaster since middle school. I've been waiting until the day he killed someone drunken driving. Hopefully he's going to jail for the rest of his life."

Quote Originally Posted by thefishwrap View Post

"Oh man, this kid has been a disaster since middle school. I've been waiting until the day he killed someone drunken driving. Hopefully he's going to jail for the rest of his life."
    That's too far the other way.

I would have acknowledged the kid has some issues and the family will endeavor to get him back on the right track. The comment just seemed to make the incident seem like not a big deal and an isolated incident.

Mikeg: Thoughts and prayers to all the families involved in this sad incident. We all need to remember that there are two sides to every story, and that our everyday decisions make a difference, sometimes with heartbreaking consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    Tom was a good kid who made a series of horribly bad decisions on Sunday night and Monday morning. He is my first cousin's son. Our family can only offer our apologies to the victims and their families and provide what little support we can for Tom. Justice will be served and Tom will have many years to contemplate on the effects of his decisions and actions.
    Another thread totally missed by me previously.

Very sad. Lives changed in a few short moments. The families and friends involved have had their lives changed forever. They are left to pick up the pieces. The dead are still dead, and the remaining suffer in a variety of ways. Medical, legal and emotional costs etc...

Thomas Grobbel needs real rehabilitation. Guilt may just cause him to pick up other bad habits now. It is difficult not to be angry at Mr. Grobbel.

According to the news article, Grobbel faces nine counts in all:
    • One count of operating under the influence while impaired causing death
    • One count of involuntary manslaughter
    • One count of failure to stop at the scene of an accident
    • Two counts of causing serious personal injury
    • Two counts of felonious driving
    • Two counts of failure to stop at the scene of an accident causing serious personal injury accident

What might his sentencing look like in terms of prison time?

Please everyone stay safe over the holiday weekend. And do not drink and drive.
    Last edited by vetalalumni; September-05-09 at 08:02 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by thefishwrap View Post

There's another possibility -- politely decline comment and walk sorrowfully away.