Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Which DSR terminal/garage is in the picture posted?

Below are two pictures of DSR terminal/garages.
    The bottom one with the car in front of it is the Coolidge Terminal/Garage located on Schaefer Hwy on the west side of Detroit; what is the location of the other terminal in the top picture?
    They both are identical except the entrance face south on the Coolidge Terminal, and the other faces [looks to be] north[?]
    Thanks for any help on this one...

Addendum: What I meant by facing south on the Coolidge Terminal, was in relations to the parking lot and not so much the street, and same in respects to the now known as the Gilbert Terminal which both of my statements would be correct...my bad for not being clear on what my intentions were in my statement since we are going to be so exacting.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by highjinx2; February-17-14 at 10:25 AM.

Entrances on the Coolidge Terminal are actually facing west, not south. The MichCon tank [[long gone) was east of the yard.

Wabash St on the north side of the Ford Freeway.

Name:  DSR.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  32.5 KB
    Last edited by MikeM; February-16-14 at 06:13 PM.

Better view:

Name:  DSR2.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  32.0 KB

The top photo is the Samuel T. Gilbert Terminal [[aka Gilbert Terminal) at Wabash and Hudson streets shortly after it was completed in 1948. The photo was taken prior to the construction of the Ford Freeway, which today runs just to the south of the property. The bottom photo was taken around the same time and shows the recently reconstructed Coolidge Terminal. Both terminals were designed by the same architectural firm.

Gilbert was the only DSR/DDOT property initially built for only buses. BTW--The front entrance actually faces west.

What I meant by facing south on the Coolidge Terminal, was in relations to the parking lot and not so much the street, and same in respects to the now known as the Gilbert Terminal which both of my statements would be correct...my bad for not being clear on what my intentions were in my statement since we are going to be so exacting.

Thanks..
    I lived a few blocks from the Coolidge Terminal

Quote Originally Posted by highjinx2 View Post
    Thanks..
    I lived a few blocks from the Coolidge Terminal
    Were you South of it?

Quote Originally Posted by highjinx2 View Post
    What I meant by facing south on the Coolidge Terminal, was in relations to the parking lot and not so much the street, and same in respects to the now known as the Gilbert Terminal which both of my statements would be correct...my bad for not being clear on what my intentions were in my statement since we are going to be so exacting.
    No problem. You're right, since both buildings do have 2 entrances. The public [main] entrance [[back when the public was allowed more access) faced the street [[Wabash and Schaefer) while the employee entrance along the side faced the property.