Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Radio personality Angelo Henderson is dead.

That came out of nowhere.

Last I heard he was nursing a bum leg.

He was sometimes a little too rightwing/Churchy for my taste but I appreciated the voice he brought to the horrible media in this town.

Terrible news. I thought he was one of the best, if not the best, talk show hosts on Detroit radio. I loved listening to him. He was always so fair and patient, letting all voices have their say and getting to the real issues challenging Detroit. I never heard him speak a mean-spirited word. It made him extremely likable.

His interviews with Detroit's elite were always respectful yet he always asked the hard questions but did it in a manner that was never threatening or accusatory - even when they could have been. In turn he got them to reveal far more.

He also took the time every week to one-by-one list all the shootings and murders and propagating what information existed about the perps and how to report anything to authorities. All those lost souls were not forgotten by him.

To say that he loved and cared about Detroit is almost an understatement. It was more like a passion.

He was a great talent, a Pulitzer Prize winner, and a wonderful human. This is so sad and I express my deepest condolences to his family and his city. We have lost one of our great champions.

Fittingly, his Pulitzer-winning story was about a neighborhood in Detroit, Old Redford. It is here: http://www.angelohenderson.com/artic...s-by-angelo/46

Despite keeping the license for about a decade more, and the business revival in Old Redford, I believe this store is now a liquor store only, having given up its Pharmacy license.

I agree with you Lowell. I would listen to his program daily and he was always fair with the callers and guests on his show, no matter how controversial. I was looking forward to his returning after his recent leg operation.

He will definitely be missed. R.I.P. Rev. Angelo B. Henderson

Happens way too often.
    Guy in store was the lucky one.

Quote Originally Posted by rooms222 View Post
    Fittingly, his Pulitzer-winning story was about a neighborhood in Detroit, Old Redford. It is here: http://www.angelohenderson.com/artic...s-by-angelo/46

Despite keeping the license for about a decade more, and the business revival in Old Redford, I believe this store is now a liquor store only, having given up its Pharmacy license.

I heard the sad news on the six pm news and was shocked[[still am).
    My thoughts&prayers are with Angelo's family.
    What a loss.

He was a good talkshow host. Very fair to his guest and callers. Was a likeble person

Must have been a blood clot or something. They said it was natural causes, but from a broken leg? RIP. He will be missed.

I agee. I was thinking about a bloodclot had caused his death.

Quote Originally Posted by rooms222 View Post

Thanks for providing that link.
    That is a great piece of writing, and I'm glad to know that he won the award for it.

late last year there was a charity auction to support scholarships for journalism students, and Mr. Henderson was the auctioneer; I got to chat with him briefly; a very personable fellow. He will be missed indeed. A lot of folks tend to have certain stereotypes about "black talk radio" but he was not a partisan pundit.

True. I enjoyed listening to him the few times I had the chance to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    A lot of folks tend to have certain stereotypes about "black talk radio" but he was not a partisan pundit.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Must have been a blood clot or something. They said it was natural causes, but from a broken leg? RIP. He will be missed.
    Angelo Henderson died of coronary embolism, attorney says
    An independent autopsy performed last month by forensic pathologist Dr. Werner Spitz indicated Henderson died of a coronary embolism that originated in his leg Feb. 15 in his home in Pontiac, attorney Arnold Reed said.

The ruling contradicts the Oakland County Medical Examiner’s Office, which said Henderson died of hypertension and other causes. Reed said investigators who responded to the Henderson home the day he died did not conduct an examination on Henderson’s body to determine cause of death and wrote inaccurate information on his death certificate.