Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New Lighting Plan

I came across this link on the Warrendale Blog, and did not see that it had been posted here. A lot of information on the new street lighting plan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFOyg...ature=youtu.be

Thanks so much for posting this!

One of the articles this week stated the new led's use a lot less copper wiring. Is it certain there won't be enough copper or anything else worth scrapping on the new lights?

I power skimmed the video, but it's amazing how involved and in the trenches Duggan is, he seems like he's from a different planet than Bing.

Quote Originally Posted by 48307 View Post
    I power skimmed the video, but it's amazing how involved and in the trenches Duggan is, he seems like he's from a different planet than Bing.
    I'm very impressed by Duggan too. I don't know if his ambitious plans will come to fruition, but he definitely gives a good presentation and knows the right ideas to push. Hopefully, he's for real.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbled_pavement View Post
    I'm very impressed by Duggan too. I don't know if his ambitious plans will come to fruition, but he definitely gives a good presentation and knows the right ideas to push. Hopefully, he's for real.
    He certainly seems to have hit the ground running. I was interested enough in the presentation to watch the whole thing from here in CA. His common sense approach seems spot on.

Very informative video.

I can confirm that they've already replaced most of the lamps with LED lights around my neighborhood over the last week [[I'm in the east side pilot area). They had replaced all of the arcs back in December. But they're leaving the old wiring and poles.

They haven't gotten around to the main streets yet.
    Last edited by 313WX; February-15-14 at 06:30 PM.

Man it is honestly night and day with Mayor Duggan. he's pretty damn determined to get this city back to its prime... we only have had a limited time frame of only 6 weeks but man... i'm for the first time looking forward to what our mayor brings next

I think I would disagree with Mike Duggan on just about every philosophical political question. But mayor of Detroit is mostly a non-ideological job. It's about getting in there and getting work done. On that front he is impressing me. I feel even more strongly now than I did after the election that he and Orr are an excellent, if unlikely, pair. I hope he keeps the pace up, we should have a very functional and productive government created over the next few years; that will allow people and businesses a better shot at success. I wish DPS had a Duggan. One dysfunctional government at a time...

I realize that a number of people have issues with the LED lights, but the cost savings should be significant. Meet the future and start saving money.

Today Duggan is Detroit mayor and his street lighting plan is work so for so good. I have seen fewer new street LED lighting in some parts in the ghetthoods of Detroit.

YAY DUGGAN!

Quote Originally Posted by old guy View Post
    I realize that a number of people have issues with the LED lights, but the cost savings should be significant. Meet the future and start saving money.
    Are they solar too?

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Are they solar too?
    Did you watch the video? They answered your question,

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    Did you watch the video? They answered your question,

No, Because graphic intense anything on my internet connection here sucks. It looks like Duggan stutters. I'll try tomorrow from another location. Thanx.

No, Because graphic intense anything on my internet connection here sucks. It looks like Duggan stutters. I'll try tomorrow from another location. Thanx.

well they said that no they will not be installing any solar panels on any lights at this time. they mentioned that the solar business across the country is kind of down right now and they aren't sure if it would be feasible/ would be able to maintain it if those companies fail.

I personally don't care about the solar aspect, but thank GOD they switched to LED lighting... had they stuck with sodium ones it would've been same old detroit ... duggan put them in place though

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    well they said that no they will not be installing any solar panels on any lights at this time. they mentioned that the solar business across the country is kind of down right now and they aren't sure if it would be feasible/ would be able to maintain it if those companies fail.

I personally don't care about the solar aspect, but thank GOD they switched to LED lighting... had they stuck with sodium ones it would've been same old detroit ... duggan put them in place though
    Amen! Let's @ least move Detroit into the last decade...... Thanx.

Amen! Let's @ least move Detroit into the last decade...... Thanx.
    They also said in the video that most other cities [[including Chicago and Boston) aren't using solar-powered lights either, for the same reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    They also said in the video that most other cities [[including Chicago and Boston) aren't using solar-powered lights either, for the same reasons.
    yeah that as well.. honestly we have to remember we are borrowing money to even put up these new ones. making them solar would've been another big chunk of change in added debt.
    And instead of sticking with the old sodium lights and burying 10% of wires underground Duggan convinced them in the new plan to go to LED and leave all overhead wires up, which in my own opinion is definitely a smart move.
    beggars [[which is what Detroit literally is right now) can't be choosers

Quote Originally Posted by SpartanDawg View Post
    yeah that as well.. honestly we have to remember we are borrowing money to even put up these new ones. making them solar would've been another big chunk of change in added debt.
    And instead of sticking with the old sodium lights and burying 10% of wires underground Duggan convinced them in the new plan to go to LED and leave all overhead wires up, which in my own opinion is definitely a smart move.
    beggars [[which is what Detroit literally is right now) can't be choosers
    "Beggars can't be choosers" was always one of my grandmother's favorite sayings, and so it has become one of mine as well. While the city is definitely in the "beggar" category in many ways, Duggan seems to be showing that there can be a smart stewardship of limited resources.

I'll be interested in peoples' reaction to the new lights as they go up.
    Last edited by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast; February-16-14 at 01:34 PM.

And it looks like per Duggan's new plan, there are no reductions in the streetlight count [[the alley lights will remain until they burn out).

All of the neighborhood street lights and thoroughfare lights that are up will remain, with the exception of those in vacant areas.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    I came across this link on the Warrendale Blog, and did not see that it had been posted here. A lot of information on the new street lighting plan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFOyg...ature=youtu.be
    That is because many posters do not stray from the confines of hip areas like Midtown and this project was not started in the hip Detroit, but the real Detroit. They also did not discuss the abandoned house survey or other things that are important to most Detroiters.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    That is because many posters do not stray from the confines of hip areas like Midtown and this project was not started in the hip Detroit, but the real Detroit. They also did not discuss the abandoned house survey or other things that are important to most Detroiters.
    wait is moving to downtown and midtown now too mainstream?? woooo detroit really is making progress! corktown... YER UP NEXT

Why isn't Midtown and Downtown also the REAL Detroit? Can't 'real' also mean some positive developments? I saw that the video was over an hour and I thought there was no way I was going to be able to watch the whole thing, but before I knew it, the hour plus had gone by. It was really interesting to see the plan and I laughed out loud when he said that the old PLA members wanted to take down a few wires for aesthetic purposes when there's still going to be several other types of wires up there, and they were going to spend $30 MILLION on burying those lines! Haha! Good to see someone thinking. I also noticed John and Alicia George of Blight Busters sitting in the background.
    Last edited by dmike76; February-16-14 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dmike76 View Post
    Why isn't Midtown and Downtown also the REAL Detroit?
    Settle down, I put that in to cheese-off the hipsters. Obviously it worked.

I think it is great they are taking it over. I just wished they were taxed fairly.

I'm not cheesed, just asking a question. Also, I'm definitely not a hipster.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast