Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Buy American Guest

Default Bing wants to make cuts

According to MyFoxDetroit, Bing wants to make some major cuts in the workforce and salaries; wants employees to take a 10% wage cut, to balance the budget.

I think the first place he needs to look at is the Clownsil....they are stealing the City blind and no one seems to really want to address these thieves. Other than a couple honest people on the Clownsil, the rest are taking money wherever and whenever they can, via hands in the cookie jar, cars, drivers, paying no taxes, hitting the pension funds; vacations, singing gigs on City time, etc. When are the people going to wake up?

Hey they gotta pay for the tiaras somehow!

Stosh Guest

They have to start someplace. That's as good a place to start as any. They can also take away a significant portion of the bloated City Council and Mayor's office hanger's on, without a significant drop in basic services to the average citizen.

I wonder if the museums will be next on the chopping block. If I were involved in any museum that recieves funding directly from the city, I'd be worried. Wright museum recieves [[ I think) $ 2.5 million from the city. Historical museum gets $ 500,000. DIA gets $ 500,000. Zoo still gets $ 965,000. I can't see them chopping all of them, but a significant portion of their revenue could be slashed. among other things, I suppose. But funding for the arts is always first to go it seems.

I think cutting the council's staffs and salary's should be done before any cuts are made to parks, museums, city services, etc.

Let the clownsil have a yearly salary around $50,000 and cut out the city owned cars and chauffeurs as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    According to MyFoxDetroit, Bing wants to make some major cuts in the workforce and salaries; wants employees to take a 10% wage cut, to balance the budget.

I think the first place he needs to look at is the Clownsil....they are stealing the City blind and no one seems to really want to address these thieves. Other than a couple honest people on the Clownsil, the rest are taking money wherever and whenever they can, via hands in the cookie jar, cars, drivers, paying no taxes, hitting the pension funds; vacations, singing gigs on City time, etc. When are the people going to wake up?
    You work for the city? What's the average salary of municipal public servants?

Buy American Guest

Not any more. I think the salaries for the firefighters and police are below average for the U.S. The civil service employees are below average as well. The only ones who make above average salaries are those in appointee positions or elected positions. I don't know of any regular employees who have their own drivers, their own cars, takes frequent trips on the taxpayers dime or have personal assistants. There are many places where cuts can be made and people can use their own autos to get to work....pay their own insurance, etc. There is a lot of fat in the City, especially at the top. Cut that and the City can function very well.

EastSider Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Buy American View Post
    The civil service employees are below average as well.
    Truer words were never spoken.

Good ideal Bing, that way we can stop the parties the former mayor King Kwame and his Thug Knights did. Some folks don't like it, but its the best way to save money.

4real Guest

whatever he cuts, it won't be enough.

Buy American Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 4real View Post
    whatever he cuts, it won't be enough.
    It could be if he cut deep enough and stepped on some toes. This isn't a popularity contest he's running here....this is serious business and he MUST do what is necessary to keep Detroit afloat.

4real,

There is going to be more Detroit city cuts. Bing might cut city bus transportation to 1 hour every day and cut more 24 hr. city bus services from 4:00am. to 9:00pm. on some routes. Snow removal and lawn care for public parks to once a month will be cut and lay off 20% of the city employees. Mayor Bing his doing his business to save Detroit's money and move the city forward. You folks may not like it but the fault lies of from your former political leaders of the past.