Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - BELANGER PARK »

Default Orchestra Hall history on PBS this weekend

There will be a Channel 56 PBS show this Saturday at 5:30 and repeated this Sunday at 2:30 on the history and superb acoustics of Orchestra Hall.

For all of you theatre buffs, this should be an interesting show on the 1919 built 2,286 seat Detroit jewel, designed by Detroit's own architect C. Howard Crane [[also architect of the Fox, State [[Filmore), United Artists, Capitol [[Detroit Opera House), Lafayette Building and old Olympia Arena).

Duly noted . . . Thanks for timely heads-up, Gistok!

Bump....

That's today [[Sat.) and tomorrow....

Perfect timing. I just found this thread, so I changed channels.

Set to record tomorrow. Thanks for the notice.

[[Its only a half hour show as I just found out by tuning in to Lawrence Welk)

Well it was a very interesting show that gave a brief history of Orchestra Hall, and then discussed at length the world class acoustics of Orchestra Hall, and dicussed how superb acoustics today is often a "crap shoot" [[i.e. mediocre acoustics at Lincoln Center, Kennedy Center & Los Angeles).

But would it have killed them to mention that C. Howard Crane was the genius behind the great acoustics and architecture.... but somehow his name was never even brought up.