Belanger Park River Rouge
ON THIS DATE IN DETROIT HISTORY - DOWNTOWN PONTIAC »

Default Dave Jordano Photographer

I apologize if this has already been posted, but there are some amazing photos here.

Last year, Dave Jordano decided to unearth some work he created as a student in the early 1970s in his hometown of Detroit. Both Jordano and Detroit had changed a lot over the years: Jordano had moved away from the city and from his dream of being a documentary photographer to pursue a career as a commercial photographer in Chicago. And once-prosperous Detroit had fallen on much tougher—and well-documented—times.

Jordano’s earlier work, which he hadn't looked at in 40 years, was created when his focus was simple: He wanted to document his surroundings. “I would make portraits of people on the waterfront one day and the next I would be documenting historical buildings that were [in danger] of being torn down,” he wrote via email.

Jordano documented people at the summertime ethnic festivals as one of several self-assigned projects. He mostly photographed anonymous passers-by but also captured some local characters, including “Dirty Dinky,” who sold buttons with sexual references and whose flirtatious, somewhat crude demeanor was forgiven—and adored—due to his advanced age and diminutive size.

http://www.davejordano.com/#mi=1&pt=...p=-1&a=-1&at=0

Nice photos! Thanks for sharing!

Thanks much for posting the link!!

I remember Dirty Dinky! Among that set of photos, I also noticed two people that I knew way back then!!

Those were good to see. I will say he's a little off in dating some of the earlier residential structures.

Absolutely stunning. My sincere, enthusiastic thanks for posting this man's work, here.

Well worth checking out that link!